C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Tail Light Thursday and Rookie Mistake

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 04:47 PM
havasumark
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tail Light Thursday and Rookie Mistake

Picture is my 1962 Corvette ready for paint.. I had the car painted about 12 years ago when I had the body off the frame. Was never happy with the paint job. I could see all the seams in the car and decided to redo it my self.
Now for the rookie mistake. A year ago, (with help from members) I decided to install the LT-1 cam into the 327 340HP motor. The other day I decided to fire up the car for the first time in 13 years. The result was not good. Motor didn't run well at all.
First of all. I had several issues all minor, that I have fixed. Felt pretty good since I had gone thru a complete frame off restoration. Now on to the motor. After a day of trying to figure out what was going on, well.... Let me just say, this statement I found on the forum captures my rookie mistake...

"Jim, when you're at #1 TDC, both valves for #1 cylinder will be closed; the other TDC position will have both valves for #6 cylinder closed. As Lars indicated, when the cam and crank sprockets are "dot-to-dot" (crank dot at 12 o'clock, cam dot at 6 o'clock), the engine is at #6 TDC, not #1 TDC."

Now you know my rookie mistake..

PS. Any recommendations for lash settings would be appreciated. I've read, use the card specs, and I have read use 24/30.

Mark
Attached Images   
Old 02-23-2017, 09:32 PM
claf
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

Why are your rear spring shackles hanging down so low ? I don't think you are supposed to see them, are they upside down ?

As far as the valve adjustment I got caught the same way. With a LT1 cam I believe you CAN'T use the TDC for #1 to adjust half the valves and TDC for #6 to do the other half. AFAIK the valve ramps are too long and the valves have to be adjusted individually. If I am out in right field someone will set us straight.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:31 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I have a real-deal LT-1 block in my '61. It's a short block that was purchased at the parts counter of the local Chevy dealer in 1971 by my father. I still have the receipt. It was $575!
On the receipt is hand-written "lash .024/.030". I don't know where that info came from, likely the guy at the parts counter..... but that what I run, and it seems to do fine.
I know this is a semi-religious topic over in C3... Maybe try a post over there?

Regarding the adjustment process.. I use the "8 stop 90 degree" method recommended by JohnZ and others.. They even mentioned the LT-1 cam as needing this procedure due to the long exhaust ramp.

Edit: Here is the adjustment procedure: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1561437667

Last edited by SDVette; 02-23-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:17 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by claf
Why are your rear spring shackles hanging down so low ? I don't think you are supposed to see them, are they upside down ?
they look flipped to me as the rear sits too high.

Bill
Old 02-24-2017, 07:54 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,122 Likes on 550 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by wmf62
they look flipped to me as the rear sits too high.Bill

Here is mine:

Old 02-24-2017, 11:35 AM
havasumark
Advanced

As far as the valve adjustment I got caught the same way. With a LT1 cam I believe you CAN'T use the TDC for #1 to adjust half the valves and TDC for #6 to do the other half. AFAIK the valve ramps are too long and the valves have to be adjusted individually. If I am out in right field someone will set us straight.
Thank's claf,

Yes, in regards to the spring shackles. They are on my list to fix. When I build out the rolling chassis I placed the leaf springs below the rear frame cross member vs above. I noticed it was wrong when I put the body back in the car and saw them sticking out below the body.

As for the engine issue. I believe what I did is place my distributor with rotor facing #1. But with the cam and crank gears aligned dot to dot.. I believe that is 6 firing.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-24-2017, 11:39 AM
havasumark
Advanced

Originally Posted by plaidside

Here is mine:

Yup,

That's the look!!! Another Rookie mistake!! LoL!!!

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-24-2017, 11:41 AM
havasumark
Advanced

Originally Posted by SDVette
I have a real-deal LT-1 block in my '61. It's a short block that was purchased at the parts counter of the local Chevy dealer in 1971 by my father. I still have the receipt. It was $575!
On the receipt is hand-written "lash .024/.030". I don't know where that info came from, likely the guy at the parts counter..... but that what I run, and it seems to do fine.
I know this is a semi-religious topic over in C3... Maybe try a post over there?

Regarding the adjustment process.. I use the "8 stop 90 degree" method recommended by JohnZ and others.. They even mentioned the LT-1 cam as needing this procedure due to the long exhaust ramp.

Edit: Here is the adjustment procedure: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1561437667
Thanks SDVette,

I'll checked that procedure. That will help me out a lot.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-24-2017, 02:27 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by havasumark
Thanks SDVette,

I'll checked that procedure. That will help me out a lot.

Thanks,
Mark
Anytime.

I'm not an expert on this, but I believe the lash setting varies depending on head type (Iron vs. Aluminum), and may be the reason for the different data out there. The original LT-1 had aluminum heads I believe... While I'm running Iron heads on the LT-1 block.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:10 PM
havasumark
Advanced

You shamed me into fixing leaf springs.. Thanks for the motivation!!!LoL!!

Mark
Attached Images   
Old 02-24-2017, 07:55 PM
RoudyRick
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Lord! I wish I could keep my garage that clean
Old 02-25-2017, 07:17 PM
havasumark
Advanced

Originally Posted by havasumark
Picture is my 1962 Corvette ready for paint.. I had the car painted about 12 years ago when I had the body off the frame. Was never happy with the paint job. I could see all the seams in the car and decided to redo it my self.
Now for the rookie mistake. A year ago, (with help from members) I decided to install the LT-1 cam into the 327 340HP motor. The other day I decided to fire up the car for the first time in 13 years. The result was not good. Motor didn't run well at all.
First of all. I had several issues all minor, that I have fixed. Felt pretty good since I had gone thru a complete frame off restoration. Now on to the motor. After a day of trying to figure out what was going on, well.... Let me just say, this statement I found on the forum captures my rookie mistake...

"Jim, when you're at #1 TDC, both valves for #1 cylinder will be closed; the other TDC position will have both valves for #6 cylinder closed. As Lars indicated, when the cam and crank sprockets are "dot-to-dot" (crank dot at 12 o'clock, cam dot at 6 o'clock), the engine is at #6 TDC, not #1 TDC."

Now you know my rookie mistake..

PS. Any recommendations for lash settings would be appreciated. I've read, use the card specs, and I have read use 24/30.

Mark

Ok, so today I check to see if distributor was installed correctly (#1 on compression stroke., and it was. So that was not the reason for my engine not running... I thought that I might have installed it incorrectly after installing my new Speed Pro LT-1 cam.
So then I rechecked my valve lash settings. I found the intakes to be very tight and the exhaust to be very loose.. I guess this would cause the issue I had. Actually, the engine did feel like it was trying to run in wet cement. I originally had set them to the card specs. I just finished resetting them to .024 / .030. Went aground three times to check myself. (since I apparently failed the first time). Tomorrow I'll get the plugs and stuff back on and see if that was the issue..

Hope it is,
Mark

Get notified of new replies

To Tail Light Thursday and Rookie Mistake

Quick Reply: [C1] Tail Light Thursday and Rookie Mistake