C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 Antenna Mast ?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 05:07 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,314 Posts

Default 67 Antenna Mast ?????

I recently picked up some parts, and among them were some antenna masts, which appear to be 67-68's.

In the pictures below, the mast at the top of the pictures is a brand new repro, I just pulled out of the wrapper. The repro's are pretty easy to identify, by the fatter taper where the taper meets the mast. The taper of the middle and bottom masts, look more more like what I believe original masts look like.

The repro and the middle mast, both have ***** that are just under 5/16" diameter. The bottom mast has a ball that's slightly larger, at just over 5/16" (If I get a chance, I'll try to find my micrometer later). The one with the larger ball, is also slightly longer than the other two.

Anyone want hazard a guess as to whether the middle or bottom one is a real one. I think the bottom one is a real 67-68. Could they both be real? Is one a 67 and one a 68, or could one be a Corvette and the other a 67-68 Camaro (though I think the Camaro and Corvette where the same part number)?

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2017, 07:47 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Well, I can't tell from your pics, but here are some taken this afternoon from my all original 45+ year second ownership '67...........
Attached Images   
Old 02-23-2017, 10:24 PM
93RubyRedCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 641 Likes on 364 Posts

Bottom one is real. Middle one is not.
The following users liked this post:
gbvette62 (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 12:12 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Originally Posted by 93RubyRedCoupe
That was my assumption.

I have two of the middle ones, and the flange on both of them, is a lot better than the flange on the current repro. Now I have to figure out if they are older, better repro's, service replacements, or for some other GM application.

Either way, thanks!
Old 02-24-2017, 12:30 AM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

A casual friend used my 67 original mast a few years back, over the winter months, while my car was in storage, to duplicate for reproduction. I never asked or never cared what company he may have used for the production of the mast. He is a trusted Corvette friend and is widely known for selling original T3 headlights and proper AC spark plugs.
In regards to the pictures posted, I have no idea to which one is authenticate and which one is a repo. My car has been scrutinized by many respected experts and I never thought about antenna mast. It received a NCRS Top Flight in June 2007 and didn't get a deduct for the antenna. There were almost 23,00 produced.

I never asked my friend for a copy of the mast or I have never photographed my 67 antenna mast but if it is being used, I would hope it would be an accurate reproduction be used today. When I get my car out of winter storage (off site) I will take detailed photos. I will also inquire of my friend, if, in fact, he reproduced my antenna mast, because I never gave a ****. He was a friend and I respected him as a friend and if he made a buck, good for him.
gbvette62 (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 12:35 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Strange - those don't look anything like the pic of the original on my '67. It has a very short flange.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:14 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Strange - those don't look anything like the pic of the original on my '67. It has a very short flange.
Becouse yours is not original to the car
Old 02-24-2017, 09:36 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Originally Posted by ricks327
A casual friend used my 67 original mast a few years back, over the winter months, while my car was in storage, to duplicate for reproduction. I never asked or never cared what company he may have used for the production of the mast.

I will also inquire of my friend, if, in fact, he reproduced my antenna mast, because I never gave a ****. He was a friend and I respected him as a friend and if he made a buck, good for him.
I know at least 3 companies have reproduced the 67-68 mast, and according to the 67 "experts", none of them are 100% correct. I know that Corvette Central, Keen Parts and EC Products (Corvette Pacifica's wholesale/manufacturing division), have all repro'd the 67-68 mast, but someone else may have also? I'm pretty sure the one in my post is from Keen Parts, but it's been in my parts trailer for quite some time, and the label is gone.

I'll be honest, I have no need for any of the antennas. I plan on selling the OEM one(s), and just want to make sure I'm describing them honestly, and correctly. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2017, 09:56 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
I'm not sure what that antenna is from, but it's not a 67-68 Corvette one.

Below are 2 67-68 antenna's. The bezel, nut and body on the yellow car, I'm pretty sure are original, but the mast is a repro. I know because I sold him the mast. The mast on the blue car was a repro also. It had been removed and was inside the car, when I looked at this 67, because the car had a cover on it.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:05 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Originally Posted by gbvette62
I'm not sure what that antenna is from, but it's not a 67-68 Corvette one.

Below are 2 67-68 antenna's. The bezel, nut and body on the yellow car, I'm pretty sure are original, but the mast is a repro. I know because I sold him the mast. The mast on the blue car was a repro also. It had been removed and was inside the car, when I looked at this 67, because the car had a cover on it.
Sorry, but you are both wrong. It is the original telescoping non power antenna that came on the car when it was built in November of 1966. I have owned the car since Sept 1971, bought it directly from the original owner who was a friend, and knew him and the car since late summer 1967. The car has never been hit and the antenna has never been changed.

Maybe its time to revisit or update your reference books. Its particularly interesting to see how one specific individual who wasn't even born when I bought the car and doesn't own one himself can be so adamant about it.

PS - in an effort to be reasonable here, the only possible exception I can think of is that it had been changed out at the dealer when John's parents bought the car for him in the spring of '67. Other than that, it's been on the car since the day it left the dealer.

Last edited by tuxnharley; 02-24-2017 at 12:49 PM. Reason: added PS
Old 02-24-2017, 12:51 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Then you got one of one antenna for 67. Your talking about a part that can be changed in less then one minute. I have looked at a few non restored 67 cars and never seen one like that I am sure Chevy had one manufacture for that part so there would be no variances though out the year.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:05 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Sorry, but you are both wrong. It is the original telescoping non power antenna that came on the car when it was built in November of 1966. I have owned the car since Sept 1971, bought it directly from the original owner who was a friend, and knew him and the car since late summer 1967. The car has never been hit and the antenna has never been changed.

Maybe its time to revisit or update your reference books. Its particularly interesting to see how one specific individual who wasn't even born when I bought the car and doesn't own one himself can be so adamant about it.

PS - in an effort to be reasonable here, the only possible exception I can think of is that it had been changed out at the dealer when John's parents bought the car for him in the spring of '67. Other than that, it's been on the car since the day it left the dealer.

I am under the belief that all 1967's came out of the factory with either no antenna (radio not ordered) OR the fixed mast design.
I am willing to change upon a pilot car with a 1966 MY antenna. But by Novemebr all Vette would have the fixed mast design. So I think the dealer put a Impala antenna on it after a dealer lot loss.

Don
Old 02-24-2017, 01:48 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 93RubyRedCoupe
Very timely information! I had several extras that came with my 435 car and was about to give them away, as a lot of the extras that came with the car were service parts or repro. Turns out the spares antennas are originals and the one on the car is repro. Thanks
Old 02-24-2017, 01:56 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vetsvette2002
I am under the belief that all 1967's came out of the factory with either no antenna (radio not ordered) OR the fixed mast design.
I am willing to change upon a pilot car with a 1966 MY antenna. But by Novemebr all Vette would have the fixed mast design. So I think the dealer put a Impala antenna on it after a dealer lot loss.

Don
Hmmm - then why (IIRC, and I will need to double check myself on this) does the owner's manual talk about adjusting the height of the antenna to get the best possible FM reception...............
Old 02-24-2017, 05:15 PM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by SupremeDeluxe
Very timely information! I had several extras that came with my 435 car and was about to give them away, as a lot of the extras that came with the car were service parts or repro. Turns out the spares antennas are originals and the one on the car is repro. Thanks
Those original antennas sell for 300 a piece.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:29 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Hmmm - then why (IIRC, and I will need to double check myself on this) does the owner's manual talk about adjusting the height of the antenna to get the best possible FM reception...............

Page 24 of the 1967 Owners Manual.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:42 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

There is an antenna trim adjusting screw on the radio. The antenna is at a fixed height.

I can take a photo of it tomorrow...if needed.

Don

Get notified of new replies

To 67 Antenna Mast ?????

Old 02-25-2017, 11:00 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Don
There is an antenna trim adjusting screw on the radio. The antenna is at a fixed height.

I can take a photo of it tomorrow...if needed.

Don
OK guys, thanks! I guess this one gets added to the category of "you learn something new everyday". I am amazed, 'tho. The history of the car IS accurate as I described it. The only thing that makes sense is a dealer change out.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:23 PM
Welch2529
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
I recently picked up some parts, and among them were some antenna masts, which appear to be 67-68's.

In the pictures below, the mast at the top of the pictures is a brand new repro, I just pulled out of the wrapper. The repro's are pretty easy to identify, by the fatter taper where the taper meets the mast. The taper of the middle and bottom masts, look more more like what I believe original masts look like.

The repro and the middle mast, both have ***** that are just under 5/16" diameter. The bottom mast has a ball that's slightly larger, at just over 5/16" (If I get a chance, I'll try to find my micrometer later). The one with the larger ball, is also slightly longer than the other two.

Anyone want hazard a guess as to whether the middle or bottom one is a real one. I think the bottom one is a real 67-68. Could they both be real? Is one a 67 and one a 68, or could one be a Corvette and the other a 67-68 Camaro (though I think the Camaro and Corvette where the same part number)?

Thanks!

Glenn
The bottom one is correct

Howard
gbvette62 (02-27-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 07:50 PM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

We all appear to have too much time on our hands.
Ralph

Quick Reply: 67 Antenna Mast ?????