C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

LS swap engines. Anyone have a guy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 02:27 PM
Jennings
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS swap engines. Anyone have a guy?

I am looking for whats available for a budget LS swap or 'drop out' engines. I have looked at the usual places on the internet, spending most my time on/with eBay and Craigslist and sifting through tons of engines.
Anyone have a guy that deals in low (under 60/70K) mileage LS swaps. I am looking for LS1 LS2 LS3 or LS6 options and live in the south.
I am looking for a good reliable engine to drop in and drive, factory parts are best. I am NOT looking for a race engine or anything other than a factory Corvette/GTO/CST-V/F-body engine. Thanks in advance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-CHEVROLET...JXYBP-&vxp=mtr
Old 03-12-2017, 02:46 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

start looking at 2006-07 denali engs,6.0l and 385hp,cast iron blocks with aluminum heads,way cheaper then vette/gto engs
Old 03-12-2017, 03:31 PM
Jennings
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
start looking at 2006-07 denali engs,6.0l and 385hp,cast iron blocks with aluminum heads,way cheaper then vette/gto engs
I like where your head is at! I was on the same path for a bit of time and looking at engines like the link below. Here is a Gen V 355 horse L83 5.3L only 10K miles for $2800! i could get an LS3 intake, fuel rail and injectors and be ahead. Then I could use the $1500 savings for other swap parts.

The L86 is a truck engine 6.2L 420 horse all aluminium.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGINE-14-GM...RYcE6c&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Jennings; 03-12-2017 at 03:38 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-12-2017, 05:24 PM
blue63cpe
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The L83 and the L86 are direct injection gen 5s. I don't think they have much in common with the gen 4s, plus not to many Lt swaps happening right now. So you would be on your own . If your looking for cheap and easy, drop in a crate 383 with a good set of heads. As far as a ls swap goes nothing is easy or cheap. Good luck
Old 03-12-2017, 05:33 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Default A lot of information here.

Best place for info and they have them in stock.

http://nolift-motorsports.com/engine...n-online-store

Tyler
The following users liked this post:
Jennings (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 06:19 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,366 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Having done a few LS swaps, admittedly not into a C2, the best bang for your buck is to find a GEN IV 6.0L iron block (LQ9 I believe) out of a Yukon Denali or 2500 HD truck. They were above 10:1 compression from the factory and made great HP and torque. If you ever want to church it up, because its a 4.0 inch bore, it will accept any cylinder head designed for the LS3. Head and cam swap and you're tickling 500 horse power.

The expense on these swaps comes in all the additional stuff that goes into the swap...below is a list just for starters:

-motor mounts
-headers
-radiator
-accessory drive
-water pump fitting clearance (specific to the C2/C3 chasis)
-fuel system
-ECU

This is just a list for starters, and in every one of the above categories, theres a budget solution, a high end solution, and about a dozen in the middle....it all depends on what you're building the car for.

Just understand that when it comes to an LS swap, the engine is only about 20% of the expense.

Now, all that being said, Im a huge proponent of the LS swap...my daily driver is a '72 C20 Suburban with a 6.0L LS and a 4L65E transmission. It drives like a modern truck but unless you popped the hood, you'd never know that it was anything other than a really nice, stock, 1972 Suburban. I would definitely do it again, I would just be more prepared for the overall financial investment....its way more than just the engine and a couple hundred bucks in accessories. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Like I said, I haven't done one in a C2 yet, but Ive researched it extensively....I have an itch to swap a 327 cu. in. LS based solid lifter motor into a C2.....
Old 03-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Best place for information on LS Engine swaps is LS1TECH. All swaps have same base requirements, an you'll see swaps into all kinds of cars. Info on most bang for the buck LS engine to start with along with cheapest way to make the most power.

Also do a thread search on LS swaps on this site. Some members have done it in last couple of years, with detailed threads on it. Look out for oil pan clearance issues with some motors as that have deep oil pans, and making change to shallow pan can be expensive.

By the way, are you looking for someone to do swap, or just info? South, covers quite and area.

If your looking for someone to do swap, PM me as I know a member here that is in the South, does swaps, an is also a supporting vendor on this site.

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 03-12-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:37 PM
C2 Hot Cam Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default swaps

Originally Posted by Jennings
I am looking for whats available for a budget LS swap or 'drop out' engines. I have looked at the usual places on the internet, spending most my time on/with eBay and Craigslist and sifting through tons of engines.
Anyone have a guy that deals in low (under 60/70K) mileage LS swaps. I am looking for LS1 LS2 LS3 or LS6 options and live in the south.
I am looking for a good reliable engine to drop in and drive, factory parts are best. I am NOT looking for a race engine or anything other than a factory Corvette/GTO/CST-V/F-body engine. Thanks in advance.

Would help if you told us where in the south you are at
Old 03-13-2017, 03:58 PM
Jennings
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext
Best place for information on LS Engine swaps is LS1TECH. All swaps have same base requirements, an you'll see swaps into all kinds of cars. Info on most bang for the buck LS engine to start with along with cheapest way to make the most power.

Also do a thread search on LS swaps on this site. Some members have done it in last couple of years, with detailed threads on it. Look out for oil pan clearance issues with some motors as that have deep oil pans, and making change to shallow pan can be expensive.

By the way, are you looking for someone to do swap, or just info? South, covers quite and area.

If your looking for someone to do swap, PM me as I know a member here that is in the South, does swaps, an is also a supporting vendor on this site.
Thanks for the assist but I want to perform the swap myself.
I am near Pensacola FL.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:29 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennings

Here is an LS Swap Tread by member here from the Land Down Under. It should give you an idea of what it will take, along with how he worked through some of the problems.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-project.html
Old 03-13-2017, 10:06 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
Having done a few LS swaps, admittedly not into a C2, the best bang for your buck is to find a GEN IV 6.0L iron block (LQ9 I believe) out of a Yukon Denali or 2500 HD truck. They were above 10:1 compression from the factory and made great HP and torque. If you ever want to church it up, because its a 4.0 inch bore, it will accept any cylinder head designed for the LS3. Head and cam swap and you're tickling 500 horse power.

The expense on these swaps comes in all the additional stuff that goes into the swap...below is a list just for starters:

-motor mounts
-headers
-radiator
-accessory drive
-water pump fitting clearance (specific to the C2/C3 chasis)
-fuel system
-ECU

This is just a list for starters, and in every one of the above categories, theres a budget solution, a high end solution, and about a dozen in the middle....it all depends on what you're building the car for.

Just understand that when it comes to an LS swap, the engine is only about 20% of the expense.

Now, all that being said, Im a huge proponent of the LS swap...my daily driver is a '72 C20 Suburban with a 6.0L LS and a 4L65E transmission. It drives like a modern truck but unless you popped the hood, you'd never know that it was anything other than a really nice, stock, 1972 Suburban. I would definitely do it again, I would just be more prepared for the overall financial investment....its way more than just the engine and a couple hundred bucks in accessories. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Like I said, I haven't done one in a C2 yet, but Ive researched it extensively....I have an itch to swap a 327 cu. in. LS based solid lifter motor into a C2.....

Also keep in mind you may need to change the oil pan, get a custom wiring harness/pre-programmed ECU and gauges too.

Once you have climbed the learning curve it's not that tough, and you won't regret it. You might consider raising your preferred mileage up as these motors are just getting loosened up at 100,000

Last edited by Zoomin; 03-13-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:43 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

many lsx cars have mucho miles.
partscaronline or something similar has ok buys on them

Whats your budget for the whole deal

These arent cheap unless you are very good with electronics, fabbing and resourceful in general. I dont believe guys doing swaps for 2k if they are guarantee its a serious hackjob.

Get notified of new replies

To LS swap engines. Anyone have a guy?

Quick Reply: LS swap engines. Anyone have a guy?