C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'64 got towed home last night

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 10:58 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by dlaw7822
New 7 blade fan & clutch. The search goes on.
Many reproduction or service replacement clutch fans are not initially set for max cooling at 180 F (or so) but for higher temps. Some of these can be reset and others cannot. There is a new reproduction fan clutch from K&B that states it is designed for max cooling at the lower engine temp. It is a very nice piece.

Factory air cars often have cooling issues........even if not running the air.....due to the added resistance of the condenser in front of the radiator. Beginning around 1966 the factory added a radiator shroud lower extension and radiator top and bottom seals to aid in engine cooling. A few folks have adapted these features to the earlier C2 cars. You might consider this. There is info on this work in the archives, as I was involved with helping/assisting. Let me know if you want additional details.

I would also check your timing and vacuum advance settings and ignition map performance, since this can also affect engine idle and excessive heating. You never know what you have on a 50 year old car until you thoroughly check it out.

I assume your radiator is an original or a DeWitts reproduction aluminum radiator. If not, that in itself is a problem. And 50 year old originals also do not often work as new. Consider a new DeWitts if you have any doubts of how good your radiator really is.

FWIW.

Larry
The following users liked this post:
dlaw7822 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 10:58 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

If the car got hot enough for the engine to die or coil to crap out your gauge is prob telling the truth. You don't mention the car puking coolant. Are you sure you have enough coolant and no air in the system along with the other things I mentioned earlier? A $13 I/R temp gun will confirm the dash gauge accuracy. I love how the pertronix is indicted as a problem before the symptoms are diagnosed and the obvious things checked.

To continue. Is your vacuum advance
connected to full manifold vacuum and working properly?

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-27-2017 at 11:00 AM.
dlaw7822 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 11:11 AM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

I had two (2) Pertronix coils fail in my '65 because of heat. Put original stock coil back in and never had another problem.
Was not a engine heat problem never got over 200 but wouldn't start until coil cooled down.

George

Last edited by Black_Magic; 03-27-2017 at 11:27 AM.
dlaw7822 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 12:57 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Another vote that says yes to pertronix but NO to pertronix coils.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:06 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Powershift
Many reproduction or service replacement clutch fans are not initially set for max cooling at 180 F (or so) but for higher temps. Some of these can be reset and others cannot. There is a new reproduction fan clutch from K&B that states it is designed for max cooling at the lower engine temp. It is a very nice piece.

Factory air cars often have cooling issues........even if not running the air.....due to the added resistance of the condenser in front of the radiator. Beginning around 1966 the factory added a radiator shroud lower extension and radiator top and bottom seals to aid in engine cooling. A few folks have adapted these features to the earlier C2 cars. You might consider this. There is info on this work in the archives, as I was involved with helping/assisting. Let me know if you want additional details.

I would also check your timing and vacuum advance settings and ignition map performance, since this can also affect engine idle and excessive heating. You never know what you have on a 50 year old car until you thoroughly check it out.

I assume your radiator is an original or a DeWitts reproduction aluminum radiator. If not, that in itself is a problem. And 50 year old originals also do not often work as new. Consider a new DeWitts if you have any doubts of how good your radiator really is.

FWIW.

Larry
Dr. Rebuild has the best fitting factory A/C upper radiator seal...shown below is how an original attaches on a '67 car.
For a '63 (which never had the seal) you have to do some minor trimming but it results in similar benefits...
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2017, 01:53 PM
dlaw7822
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift

FWIW.

Larry
Reset new clutch to run sooner. Sealed all gaps around shroud. The stock radiator has to go to run a/c in traffic. Will recheck timing, might have moved.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:57 PM
dlaw7822
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
If the car got hot enough for the engine to die or coil to crap out your gauge is prob telling the truth. You don't mention the car puking coolant. Are you sure you have enough coolant and no air in the system along with the other things I mentioned earlier? A $13 I/R temp gun will confirm the dash gauge accuracy. I love how the pertronix is indicted as a problem before the symptoms are diagnosed and the obvious things checked.

To continue. Is your vacuum advance
connected to full manifold vacuum and working properly?
Will check gauge accuracy with laser temp gun. Did not puke. Topped off coolant before leaving the house. Will recheck vac advance. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:59 PM
dlaw7822
Instructor

Originally Posted by Black_Magic
I had two (2) Pertronix coils fail in my '65 because of heat. Put original stock coil back in and never had another problem.
Was not a engine heat problem never got over 200 but wouldn't start until coil cooled down.

George
Thanks, George. Picked up a NAPA coil today.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:37 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

So did you get your car running again?
Old 03-27-2017, 02:53 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Reset new clutch to run sooner. Sealed all gaps around shroud. The stock radiator has to go to run a/c in traffic. Will recheck timing, might have moved.

Also consider/add the lower radiator shroud extension. For your year car they are rubber fabric but should work fine. I believe DR REBUILD still sells them.

Larry
dlaw7822 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 03:10 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

After reading your notes in this post I see you have a 160 thermostat and idling in the heat for 2 hours you were seeing temps of 180-190 degrees?
If that is the case you did not get hot. If you reached 220 that would indeed be hot.
At 180-190 most would consider very your car to be working very well and normal in that situation, idling for 2 hours in a parade.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:06 PM
dlaw7822
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
So did you get your car running again?
Yes. In my first post it says it fired right up the next morning, ran smooth. Makes me think once the coil cooled, no more problem. Also it ran rough just before it quit.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:58 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Don't you just hate it when you have to call AAA.

When we got it home, I discovered that all I needed was a 7/16 open end wrench to tighten a nut on a vacuum line on the FI unit-----------------------------and we were on our way to a free BBQ!!!
dlaw7822 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 08:16 AM
dlaw7822
Instructor

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Don't you just hate it when you have to call AAA.

When we got it home, I discovered that all I needed was a 7/16 open end wrench to tighten a nut on a vacuum line on the FI unit-----------------------------and we were on our way to a free BBQ!!!
Thanks for not making me feel like the Lone Ranger. If you want to enjoy these old great cars, it's nice to know how to fix them and carry spares and basic tools. Makes life interesting, though. Wouldn't have any other way. Cheers, D.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:27 AM
dlaw7822
Instructor

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
After reading your notes in this post I see you have a 160 thermostat and idling in the heat for 2 hours you were seeing temps of 180-190 degrees?
If that is the case you did not get hot. If you reached 220 that would indeed be hot.
At 180-190 most would consider very your car to be working very well and normal in that situation, idling for 2 hours in a parade.
I believe I said always normal temps 180-190 UNTIL the parade. Then it very slowly crept up to 240 at the very end. Naturally, it cooled to 180 on the 4 lane. Ran rough, then quit, wouldn't crank .
Westlotorn (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 09:25 AM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

I believe I said always normal temps 180-190 UNTIL the parade. Then it very slowly crept up to 240 at the very end. Naturally, it cooled to 180 on the 4 lane. Ran rough, then quit, wouldn't crank .
Although I posted replies here #7 and #17 about Pertronix and coils, I thought I'd mention that I had a fuel pumps fail twice while on the road that acted exactly this way. It was not related to heat but are we sure your problem was?
I was flatbedded home and the car started as soon as it was unloaded. Found the reproduction pump had an internal failure of a valve that came loose inside. Second pump, the replacement, had the actuator pin work out of position that made it fail. AAA is my friend!
dlaw7822 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:18 AM
dlaw7822
Instructor

Originally Posted by dkleather
Although I posted replies here #7 and #17 about Pertronix and coils, I thought I'd mention that I had a fuel pumps fail twice while on the road that acted exactly this way. It was not related to heat but are we sure your problem was?
I was flatbedded home and the car started as soon as it was unloaded. Found the reproduction pump had an internal failure of a valve that came loose inside. Second pump, the replacement, had the actuator pin work out of position that made it fail. AAA is my friend!
Thanks, dk. The fuel pump has a leak around the top seal and I believe it to be weak, slow to fill the carb. I also noticed the part # is for a dual quad 409. I have the correct ( 40018, 300hp ) pump waiting to be installed. Who said retirement is boring ?

Get notified of new replies

To '64 got towed home last night

Old 03-28-2017, 10:25 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Thanks for not making me feel like the Lone Ranger. If you want to enjoy these old great cars, it's nice to know how to fix them and carry spares and basic tools. Makes life interesting, though. Wouldn't have any other way. Cheers, D.
I had to have mine do the ride of shame three times.

1. Engine problems. Found out that the studs were pulling from the head. It was when I first built the engine.

2. Went to a shop where I wanted a tune up and left with an electrical fire. The mechanic at the shop grounded out the engine harness to the ignition shielding.

3. Last one was about 6 months ago. I kept blowing a fuse in the main harness when one of my head harness connectors came off and was grounded out. Found the problem the next day. It was late at night and could not drive without lights.

AAA is the best.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:34 AM
dlaw7822
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimh_1962
I had to have mine do the ride of shame three times.

1. Engine problems. Found out that the studs were pulling from the head. It was when I first built the engine.

2. Went to a shop where I wanted a tune up and left with an electrical fire. The mechanic at the shop grounded out the engine harness to the ignition shielding.

3. Last one was about 6 months ago. I kept blowing a fuse in the main harness when one of my head harness connectors came off and was grounded out. Found the problem the next day. It was late at night and could not drive without lights.

AAA is the best.
Wow ! I think it's great that you continue to persevere and press on. Cheers !
Old 03-28-2017, 10:39 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by dkleather
I always try to get people to check this when they have fuel delivery problems - but not all of them do
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: '64 got towed home last night