C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My Daytona Blue '64 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 09:21 PM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30

You live a rough life! Nice cars.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:07 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by elwood13
Cool suburban and very cool monster.
for sure.

I'm really enjoying this thread. Mainly because you're making a really nice '64 coupe your own. I have to agree most people won't get the plaid interior but people who are real enthusiasts will know that Porsche was not bashful using plaids in even their most serious road carving machines. Keep the updates coming.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:52 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,365 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndrew
You live a rough life! Nice cars.
Thats actually my Brother-In-Law's '67 Camaro. Fun story, we looked at that car and he bought it the morning of my wedding in Austin TX. He and I flew back two weeks later to pick it up and drive it home.....made it an hour outside Austin before the 396 seized. Real nice car that was well taken care of but rarely driven. Now its got a crate 454 in it and absolutely annihilates tires. My two nieces love going to Cars and Coffee in it.

Last edited by FLYNAVY30; 09-06-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:55 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
for sure.

I'm really enjoying this thread. Mainly because you're making a really nice '64 coupe your own. I have to agree most people won't get the plaid interior but people who are real enthusiasts will know that Porsche was not bashful using plaids in even their most serious road carving machines. Keep the updates coming.
Thanks, it is fun to see who appreciates the historical influences in what I think makes a cool car regardless of make/model. I'm actually surprised nobody has picked up on the lug nuts yet.....maybe after I settle on some wheels and tires....

Old 09-07-2018, 01:45 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

On to the front.....the last remnants of the drum brake system are gone!! I do need to run to the store to grab an inside spring compressor and a fork to pop the ball joints before I go any further.

On to the new stuff. As stated earlier, I'm using Wilwood D8 calipers and a 15/16 master cylinder. Initially, the intent was to limit suspension mods to a 13/16 sway bar with poly bushings, some Ride Tech/Fox Racing single adjustable shocks, and Global West's "Del-a-lum" bushing for factory upper and lower A-arms. After some research, I realized that you have to do some modifying/welding on the factory A-arms in order to install the Del-a-lum bushings. I wasn't interested in that as I have zero welding experience, and one of my big sticking points with this car is that everything can be bolted back on if I ever want to go back to 100% factory original (with the exception of that rear bump stop mount that I had to cut....that would require welding a new 63-64 mount to the frame). So the solution was to order Global West's upper and lower control arms. They are a bit spendy, but in this case, you definitely get what you pay for. High quality pieces with what should be a straight forward install. The rest of the stuff is factory '65-'67 bits from Van Steel. I did hit the sway bar, spindles and arms with VHT chasis black to prevent any corrosion. More to follow....

Old 09-07-2018, 04:00 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Default Wheels!

The two test wheels I ordered from Summit Racing showed up today. I'm really trying to keep this car on 15" wheels and run a 225/60/15 Avon CR6ZZ tire for the vintage race look.

The first wheel I ordered is the American Racing Torque Thrust D. 15x7, 3.75 inch backspace, 5x4.5" bolt pattern. Bolted up beautifully with my long style lug nuts from Vintage Wheel Works. They clear the brakes just fine, my two concerns are that with the 3.75 inch backspace, it looks like the wheel lip is going to be just in line with the fender lip....add the tire bulge, and I'm a little concerned about the potential for contact going over a bump in a turn. Obviously the suspension is unloaded in this pic, so theres huge positive camber, but once its all dialed in, I'm still wondering if its a little close. Second, you can also see its pretty close to the leaf spring on the inside once you take tire bulge into account. I don't really want to go to 17's, but at that size, I could run a 4" backspace which would solve both problems....it would pull the wheel in from the lip ever so slightly, and the spring end would be inside the circumference of the wheel.

The second wheel I ordered is Trans Am Racing's Superlite in 15x7, 4.0 inch backspace, 5x4.5" bolt pattern. I really like these wheels, and think they would look great on the car, but unfortunately, they won't even bolt up. I can't get them over the wheel studs. It looks like the holes are just slightly off the 5x4.5" bolt pattern. In the one pic below, you can see how chewed up the holes are in the back of the wheel. Its interesting because both wheels are manufactured in China, but the AR wheel appears to be significantly higher quality.

Any input on 3.75 vs 4.0 inch backspace on the 15x7 wheel would be greatly appreciated. Or on 15s vs 17s. I'm kind of up in the air at this point.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:50 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,547 Likes on 2,794 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

5x4.5? Standard Chevy is 5x4.75. Isn’t that your spacing?

i have the torque thrusts on my ‘64 and really like them.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:21 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Greg;

I also have an inside spring compressor set and a pickle fork.

Love what you're doing, BTW.

Kevin
Old 09-07-2018, 08:29 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Factoid
5x4.5? Standard Chevy is 5x4.75. Isn’t that your spacing?

You are correct sir.....I screwed that up when I ordered the mini lite replica. Fortunately Summit is excellent about returns and exchanges.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:30 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Greg;

I also have an inside spring compressor set and a pickle fork.

Love what you're doing, BTW.

Kevin
Much appreciated Kevin....I grabbed a pickle fork from the store today, and ordered an inside spring compressor that should arrive tomorrow. Probably good tools to have on hand.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:31 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

The two test wheels I ordered from Summit Racing showed up today. I'm really trying to keep this car on 15" wheels and run a 225/60/15 Avon CR6ZZ tire for the vintage race look.

The first wheel I ordered is the American Racing Torque Thrust D. 15x7, 3.75 inch backspace, 5x4.5" bolt pattern. Bolted up beautifully with my long style lug nuts from Vintage Wheel Works. They clear the brakes just fine, my two concerns are that with the 3.75 inch backspace, it looks like the wheel lip is going to be just in line with the fender lip....add the tire bulge, and I'm a little concerned about the potential for contact going over a bump in a turn. Obviously the suspension is unloaded in this pic, so theres huge positive camber, but once its all dialed in, I'm still wondering if its a little close. Second, you can also see its pretty close to the leaf spring on the inside once you take tire bulge into account. I don't really want to go to 17's, but at that size, I could run a 4" backspace which would solve both problems....it would pull the wheel in from the lip ever so slightly, and the spring end would be inside the circumference of the wheel.
Any input on 3.75 vs 4.0 inch backspace on the 15x7 wheel would be greatly appreciated. Or on 15s vs 17s. I'm kind of up in the air at this point.
IMCO I think the TTD looks perfect but...…….at the risk of starting a fire storm the fit is too tight. I know you don't want to go to 17s but there's more advantages over the 15s. Besides more tire choices (50 series and even 55 series sidewalls which will not look like "rubber bands") wheel backspace options are better. You can run more backspace. You can go 4" or probably even 4.25" backspace. Other opinions will vary for sure but it's always better to error on more backspace than less as a small thin high quality spacer can give you that little bit of extra clearance if needed. If you error on not enough what are the options? Narrower tires, higher ride height, reorder the wheels, or worse cracked fenders. Also whether you go with 15s or 17s there's other options besides the A/R TTs. You can also look at Team III E/Ts and Vintage Wheel Works which you already know. I hope this helps.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:33 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
IMCO I think the TTD looks perfect but...…….at the risk of starting a fire storm the fit is too tight. I know you don't want to go to 17s but there's more advantages over the 15s. Besides more tire choices (50 series and even 55 series sidewalls which will not look like "rubber bands") wheel backspace options are better. You can run more backspace. You can go 4" or probably even 4.25" backspace. Other opinions will vary for sure but it's always better to error on more backspace than less as a small thin high quality spacer can give you that little bit of extra clearance if needed. If you error on not enough what are the options? Narrower tires, higher ride height, reorder the wheels, or worse cracked fenders. Also whether you go with 15s or 17s there's other options besides the A/R TTs. You can also look at Team III E/Ts and Vintage Wheel Works which you already know. I hope this helps.
Unfortunately you're probably correct. 17x7 with 4.0" backspace and a 225/50/17 tire is probably the right combo but I'm still having a hard time accepting the 17's
Old 09-08-2018, 07:48 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

This is the path you have chosen to travel. Embrace it. Confucius
Old 09-08-2018, 12:23 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 65hihp
This is the path you have chosen to travel. Embrace it. Confucius
True statement
Old 09-08-2018, 01:46 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Much appreciated Kevin....I grabbed a pickle fork from the store today, and ordered an inside spring compressor that should arrive tomorrow. Probably good tools to have on hand.

I use this KD compressor, but with only the top hooks. For the bottom I use a square of 1/4" plate with a hole punched in it, placed over the shock hole. So you're pulling the top of the spring down toward the lower A-arm.
You'll notice the hook arms are different lengths. If you place the shorter arm higher, the spring will compress into a slight curve, which helps clear the upper pocket.
Don't forget to lube the threaded rod... Good luck! Mike
The following users liked this post:
FLYNAVY30 (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 02:28 PM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 594 Posts

Unfortunately you're probably correct. 17x7 with 4.0" backspace and a 225/50/17 tire is probably the right combo but I'm still having a hard time accepting the 17's
The 15x7 with 3.75” BS wasn’t even close to working on the 4 C2s I put some new wheels on. The wheel distributor said 7” and 3.75” was normal. Wrong. He must have remembered 6” rims. I double checked the BS and outside dimension (~8”). Hard to imagine moving the rim in just .25” is enough. Last Thursday ordered new wheels with 4.5” BS to match LouieM and others. I’m be moving the ebrake mount. Ordering one wheel at a time is smart. Best wishes.

BTW, I built a database of posts of folks who successfully use 235s and 7” rims. If interested I can email.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:36 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Lotsacubes
The 15x7 with 3.75” BS wasn’t even close to working on the 4 C2s I put some new wheels on. The wheel distributor said 7” and 3.75” was normal. Wrong. He must have remembered 6” rims. I double checked the BS and outside dimension (~8”). Hard to imagine moving the rim in just .25” is enough. Last Thursday ordered new wheels with 4.5” BS to match LouieM and others. I’m be moving the ebrake mount. Ordering one wheel at a time is smart. Best wishes.

BTW, I built a database of posts of folks who successfully use 235s and 7” rims. If interested I can email.
I appreciate the info. Trans Am Engineering sells that SuperLite in 15x7 with both a 4.0 and 4.5 backspace. I've returned both of the previous wheels and ordered another example in both backspacing (with the proper bolt pattern ) Ill see what both of those look like relevant to the fender lip, and the rear spring. In addition to my desire to retain a "day 2" look for this car as far as the wheel sizing goes, I'm also as concerned about the tire look and performance. The Avon CR6ZZ are definitely spendy.....but not only do they perform to the level I want, they LOOK the part (which most of the 17" options do not). They have by far the most "vintage" tread pattern of ANY tire on the market. I realize some of this stuff doesn't matter to many, but I've been building this car in my head for over a decade, and wheel/tire combo is crucial to the execution of the vision!

Get notified of new replies

To My Daytona Blue '64 Coupe

Old 09-10-2018, 11:45 AM
uvettcha
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default My Favorite is

Well, we finally made the trip to Mershon's this past weekend to pick up the car and it didn't disappoint. As some may have seen in my WTB posting, I was very specifically looking for a 1964 Daytona Blue coupe with the solid lifter 365 horse motor and a 4 speed. The only additional options this car was ordered with is the two tone blue/white interior, off road exhaust, 3.70 rear end, and for an additional $10.80......reverse lights.

Mershon's was excellent to deal with and having Pancho Thompson inspect the car prior to the sale was money well spent. I actually got to meet Pancho when we picked the car up as he was back at the shop doing another inspection. Thanks Pancho!

The car came with a photo album full or restoration photos and a box full of documentation which includes owner history and registration numbers dating back to the build and delivery date in February of 1964, all 1964 sales materials and original owners manual, all NCRS and Bloomington Gold documentation and judging paperwork from 1982, and even the gold lapel pin. The short summary of the history is that the car was given a full frame off restoration between 1979 and 1982.....the owner at the time maintained copious notes and photos. It was especially cool to flip through his log and see what parts were purchased and installed, and how much time he worked on the car on Dec 19, 1980....which was my birthday. At the time of the restoration, the odometer was reset to 0 miles.....it currently shows 329 total miles. Apparently it has been sold a few times and most recently sat in someone's collection who was forced to sell due to divorce, which is how Mershon's came on the car.

Now that its done its time on the show/garage queen circuit, its going to be driven as often as possible. Ill be sure to continue the detailed maintenance log of the prior owners, but I have no intention of babying the car. Things will be fixed/upgraded as necessary. My plan is to keep the car relatively original, but as things break, if there's a better option on the market (65-67 disc brakes, etc.), Im not going to sacrifice durability for originality. That being said, any original parts removed will be carefully documented and stored for future potential restoration (not really my thing, but Im also not so naive as to think personal taste and interests don't change over the years).

With all that being said, please enjoy the pics of our adventure below, and check back often as Ill be continuously updating this thread as I drive, break, fix, and enjoy the car.

that little mouseketeer nice care also.......Bill
Old 09-10-2018, 12:08 PM
uvettcha
Instructor

Default And another one bites the dust

As you know I think they are utterly unnecessary, and as such, the original seats remain in my 64. But, that is irrelevant to you, because you want them, and you are the decider when it comes to your car. Duh!
That said, they look great! If I were going to change out to utterly unnecessary up-scale seats, those are what I would choose.
to me its sad..........
Old 09-10-2018, 12:16 PM
uvettcha
Instructor

I'm dying out here. That was such a nice original 64.....

well indeed,,,,,,,to say nothing about the word Cobra on the side of the seats??????????

Quick Reply: My Daytona Blue '64 Coupe