C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My Daytona Blue '64 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 06:54 PM
Dad's 59
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
From Zora to day one original owners people have been modifying/improving on their cars to their taste. My preference is to keep mine as original LOOKING as possible with stealth improvements but that is just this one man's opinion.
When I see cars that the mods turn my stomach a little I keep my mouth shut. Like my mother said "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all." To each his own. It is the owners car, money and time to do what they want to THEIR car.
I own 67 63 65 66 corvette but my 64's are by far my favorite And Greg your 64 is beautiful this response was about "original corvettes being boring" so I respond ..

Last edited by Dad's 59; 09-11-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:06 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Dad's 59
I think NCRS is a joke!! I drive my corvettes keep the history! May you all be safe on the East coast!!!!!!
As Rodney King said after the L.A. riots, "Can't we all just get along here". My 67 is a NCRS Top Flight car but I have driven the wheels off it. I've done several Hot Rod Powers Tour events, including the Long Haul in 2014, 3000 miles in 10 days. You can keep the history and still drive them.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:17 PM
Dad's 59
Racer

Originally Posted by ricks327
As Rodney King said after the L.A. riots, "Can't we all just get along here". My 67 is a NCRS Top Flight car but I have driven the wheels off it. I've done several Hot Rod Powers Tour events, including the Long Haul in 2014, 3000 miles in 10 days. You can keep the history and still drive them.
NCRS and driving
​​​​​​

two different subjects ! Sorry for the confusion
Old 09-11-2018, 07:25 PM
ricks327
Race Director

NCRS and driving
​​​​​​

two different subjects ! Sorry for the confusion
I'm not confused but you appear to be because original is not "boring" and many NCRS cars are driven regularly. The Corvette Forum site is available to all, original and non-original.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:48 PM
Dad's 59
Racer

Originally Posted by ricks327
I'm not confused but you appear to be because original is not "boring" and many NCRS cars are driven regularly. The Corvette Forum site is available to all, original and non-original.
​​​​​​All my corvettes are original sense new from 59 to 67!! You have the wrong guy, this started because of a comment about originals being boring . I so I responed ! NCRS is a joke has nothing to with boring originals
g .
That was response to something else. WHEW? Yes NCRS is a joke!!!! Yes my corvettes are original! I am not going to respond any more, this is about Greg's 64 corvette not about my opinions I thought it was only illegal to have a opinion in california!!!

Last edited by Dad's 59; 09-11-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:15 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I see the curtain drawing on this fine thread, as always happens when the NCRS bashing begins.
How come people can't mention those four letters without other people with insecurity issues starting in with the bashing?
Old 09-11-2018, 09:12 PM
ricks327
Race Director

​​​​​​Yes NCRS is a joke!!!! Yes my corvettes are original! I am not going to respond any more, this is about Greg's 64 corvette not about my opinions I thought it was only illegal to have a opinion in california!!!
You are correct, this is Greg's thread about his car, which I like, BUT why do you raise the issue that NCRS is a joke? You are the one who has deviated from Greg's thread with your comment about NCRS.
Greg, nice car, stay with it.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:26 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,489 Likes on 1,644 Posts

This thread is titled "My Daytona Blue '64 Coupe" can we get it back on topic so it doesn't get locked? Please...….

In the mean time lets pray and wish all those in the path of this monster storm to be smart and stay safe. God speed to all of you.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:02 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,365 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Hoping to get some more work in this afternoon to get the car, and this thread, back on track.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:36 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,547 Likes on 2,794 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Greg, how much additional rear wheel clearance will you get by moving the e-brake brackets? Does it give you the ability to go from a 6” wide to 7” wide wheel or can you use the 7” without relocation, but need to move them to accommodate a wider tire? Also, do you still need to relocate them with a 17” wheel?

I ask as I currently have 15” wheels on my ‘64, but plan on going with 17” wheels next year.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:44 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Factoid
Greg, how much additional rear wheel clearance will you get by moving the e-brake brackets? Does it give you the ability to go from a 6” wide to 7” wide wheel or can you use the 7” without relocation, but need to move them to accommodate a wider tire? Also, do you still need to relocate them with a 17” wheel?

I ask as I currently have 15” wheels on my ‘64, but plan on going with 17” wheels next year.

Hard to say, by going to the Global West offset trailing arm, the bracket was already moved and the cable runs inside the trailing arm. Changing to discs also changes the track width slightly. In my research, I found that most had no problem with 15x7 front and rear with 4" backspace. Not sure about the necessity of the relocation if you go to 17s....hopefully someone else will chime in.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:38 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
Hard to say, by going to the Global West offset trailing arm, the bracket was already moved and the cable runs inside the trailing arm. Changing to discs also changes the track width slightly. In my research, I found that most had no problem with 15x7 front and rear with 4" backspace. Not sure about the necessity of the relocation if you go to 17s....hopefully someone else will chime in.
I have 17 by 7 with 235 tires. But have offset trailing arms and coil overs from Van Steel. No problem and car is lowered. Tires are inside fender line. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Factoid (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 12:58 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Ok, time to check back in on this topic as it apparently has legs.

As an NCRS TF recipient and California resident, I can really feel the love

On the plus side, I did drive the car 600 miles round trip to get the award, but nevermind that.

Point being, just like my distinguished friend 65hihp, I can appreciate both sides of the coin, and my next Corvette will probably never see the sharp end of an NCRS judge's pencil.

Obviously, the formerly unmolested and original example of a 1964 Corvette Sport Coupe which is the topic of this thread belongs to a US Navy pilot, (best of the best!) and he he can do whatever he wishes with it.

That said, those of us who appreciate the beauty and rarity of a car that has survived 53 years on this planet without being "improved" or modified in any way, can only wonder why such a car was selected to be hot rodded.

There are so many other cars available which have already been "improved" over the years, why defile a 54 year old virgin?

That's all I got
Old 09-12-2018, 02:00 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Very nice and welcome to the '64 club.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:43 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SW Vette
Ok, time to check back in on this topic as it apparently has legs.

As an NCRS TF recipient and California resident, I can really feel the love

On the plus side, I did drive the car 600 miles round trip to get the award, but nevermind that.

Point being, just like my distinguished friend 65hihp, I can appreciate both sides of the coin, and my next Corvette will probably never see the sharp end of an NCRS judge's pencil.

Obviously, the formerly unmolested and original example of a 1964 Corvette Sport Coupe which is the topic of this thread belongs to a US Navy pilot, (best of the best!) and he he can do whatever he wishes with it.

That said, those of us who appreciate the beauty and rarity of a car that has survived 53 years on this planet without being "improved" or modified in any way, can only wonder why such a car was selected to be hot rodded.

There are so many other cars available which have already been "improved" over the years, why defile a 54 year old virgin?

That's all I got
To answer your question, which is a perfectly reasonable one, I had no interest in conducting a restoration before hot-rodding/modifying/building/whatever you want to call it. I also had no interest in un-doing someone else's vision of what they thought was cool. I was specifically looking for a blank canvas so to speak. One that was relatively unmolsted, but not necessarily "special". Yes, I know, there is a segment of the hobby that thinks any 100% factory correct car is special, but lets be honest, the 1964 is the least desirable of the mid years....at least according to popular opinion and resale prices.

For me, I think its the best looking of the group. I love how the hood scallops match the side scallops without the grilles of the '63. I love the lower rocker trim....to me it looks very European. I agree that the '63 split window is iconic from a styling perspective, but I personally feel the '64 is sleeker and cleaner looking due to its one piece glass. From my perspective, the '64 is the last Corvette that looked like a bare bones "sports car". Thats not to say I don't love the later models, but I feel that with the bulging hoods, side pipes, etc., they really transitioned into "muscle cars".

I wanted to build my interpretation of an American "sports car" with a bit of European flair....hence the seats, the tartan fabric inserts, and the mini-lite replica wheels. Its also why I was specifically looking for the 365 horse, solid lifter motor when I was shopping for a car. To me, that engine is the closest thing the US ever came to driving experience of some of the high strung, air cooled Porsche motors of the late 60's and early 70's....but with a proper American V8 (with the added exception of the DZ302).

So to answer your question, I don't believe I'm "defiling an original", I went out and found the nicest starting point I could afford, which happened to be this car....which while very nice, is nothing more than a bare bones coupe with the "big" motor. Someone already put the time, money, and effort into making it a very nice car back in 1982, now I'm just altering it to suit my taste....and money ahead for not having done a full restoration on a basket case.

Last edited by FLYNAVY30; 09-12-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:11 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Nice response, thanks. I understand and agree with your reasoning. To be honest, I'd like to do exactly the same thing. Kinda jealous actually

​​​​​

Old 09-12-2018, 03:19 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SW Vette
Nice response, thanks. I understand and agree with your reasoning. To be honest, I'd like to do exactly the same thing. Kinda jealous actually

​​​​​
No worries ...I appreciate all input, positive and negative, as long as its constructive. Its the accusations of "ruining" a car that bother me. I'm all about 100%, factory correct restorations on cars that are unique, special, or otherwise valuable. I don't however understand some of the hate towards modifying or customizing some of the more run of the mill models. As has been stated before, how boring would the hobby, and this forum be, if we all had 100% correct, factory original cars. There would literally be nothing to talk about besides paint color.

Get notified of new replies

To My Daytona Blue '64 Coupe

Old 09-12-2018, 03:55 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Sir, I am one of the "haters" so feel qualified to offer insight as to why we feel as we do. It stems I believe from your comment about your car being "one of the run of the mill models" and "not special", or not "particularly valuable". I feel your car was special, and was not run of the mill, and at a price of around $50K is quite valuable. I know 64s are at the bottom of the mid year value hierarchy, but that does not make them run of the mill. Remember only around 120,000 mid years were ever made total, and you seldom if ever see any of them out driving anymore. Compared to the much more rare mid year vettes your 64 is routine. But other than that your car was very unique given its engine option, and its overall originality and condition. When you hear of 64s that are priced quite low like in the 30s to low 40s, there is a reason for that. They have led a rough life. All indications are that yours didn't. Many of us hate to see one that has not led a rough life and has a very desireable RPO engine get "defiled" by what we believe to be completely unnecessary upgrades. Hopefully this give you better insight into our thinking. Saw on brother, saw on.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:45 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Your opinion is 100% valid. My statement about uniqueness or value was based purely relative to other C2 Corvettes. I agree completely that any mid-year is unique and valuable in general. You are correct that my car has been pampered its entire life, and will continue to be so...just in slightly modified fashion....which is most certainly unnecessary....but then again, so are Corvettes in general, thats why they're fun.

It does pain me to inform you that the saws-all had to make another brief appearance today... That forward, passenger side upper control arm stud didn't afford enough room between the radiator shroud and the bolt end to get a C-clamp on there to pop it out of the frame so I had to "nip the tip" so to speak. Fear not however, a replacement stud is enroute from Zip as we speak and the new, not quite to NRCS spec, upper control arm from Global West will be mounted shortly there after.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:56 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

I like all of 'em, but mostly adhere to the concept of "it's your car, you do what you want with it." If anyone else wants a vote on your car, they should donate cash to get it into compliance with their vision for your car.

I really, really like all original cars, too, but prefer my topics "on topic," but YMMV. If a car is modified, my only opinion is that I prefer that it's done well or not at all.

Quick Reply: My Daytona Blue '64 Coupe