C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Original Paint: impact on value?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 07:20 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
SD, my favorite way to describe the over-cleared cars is "Barrett Jackson Glazed Ham", or "Glazed Ham" for short. The cars never looked like that, even new.
This is what original paint can look like after 54 years.
Very smooth from the beltline up........no chipping, cracking or peeling.
Just a warm, soft glow from years of hand polishing.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:03 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis
This is what original paint can look like after 54 years.
Very smooth from the beltline up........no chipping, cracking or peeling.
Just a warm, soft glow from years of hand polishing.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:12 PM
Faslane
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine is a warm soft glow from 20ft away lol, I will never paint it.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:46 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Here's my original paint 67 435. Just like Rich's 63, no chipping, crazing, or peeling.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:25 PM
Phil-914
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bought a 1965 327/300 Convertible in Milano Maroon. It has a very nice lacquer paint job which was done in 1984 looks like it could have been painted a few years ago. Hasn't really been driven much since then. I have a couple of questions:
1. Anybody see a problem with a light buff (mechanical rotary low rpm) with Meguiars Ultra finishing polish and then applying Meguiars Synthetic sealer 2.0? I have been doing this on my new vehicles with amazing results and it's durable. I prefer synthetics but I do want to hear the groups opinion on whether this is a good idea.
2. I have the very typical hairline (really fine) cracks in the paint at the corners of the headlight openings. You have to really look to see them. I was thinking about trying to carefully improve them with that paint ship repair stuff (Chip Doctor or something like that). I'm pretty good with the stuff and sure I can do it without leaving any buildup. Won't be perfect but might improve. You think I should leave it alone?

Any opinions pro or con are welcome.

Last edited by Phil-914; 04-19-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:23 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,937 Likes on 4,779 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Phil-914
Just bought a 1965 327/300 Convertible in Milano Maroon. It has a very nice lacquer paint job which was done in 1984 looks like it could have been painted a few years ago. Hasn't really been driven much since then. I have a couple of questions:
1. Anybody see a problem with a light buff (mechanical rotary low rpm) with Meguiars Ultra finishing polish and then applying Meguiars Synthetic sealer 2.0? I have been doing this on my new vehicles with amazing results and it's durable. I prefer synthetics but I do want to hear the groups opinion on whether this is a good idea.
2. I have the very typical hairline (really fine) cracks in the paint at the corners of the headlight openings. You have to really look to see them. I was thinking about trying to carefully improve them with that paint ship repair stuff (Chip Doctor or something like that). I'm pretty good with the stuff and sure I can do it without leaving any buildup. Won't be perfect but might improve. You think I should leave it alone?

welcome to the site but your question should be started in a new thread. you will get more responses if you did
Old 04-19-2017, 08:16 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil-914

1.No issue with using the buffer on lacquer paint. But use caution. Especially around any edge. Tops of the fenders especially. Take your time.
2. I have never used the Chip Doctor so I am interested in learning about it.
Pancho
Old 04-19-2017, 09:24 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Anyone have an opinion of the impact on value for original paint that looks like this:

Old 04-19-2017, 09:39 PM
Phil-914
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by provette67
1.No issue with using the buffer on lacquer paint. But use caution. Especially around any edge. Tops of the fenders especially. Take your time.
2. I have never used the Chip Doctor so I am interested in learning about it.
Pancho
Hey Pancho
did you recognize the car? You spent 4 hours on it a couple of weeks ago! Here's a link for you
https://www.drcolorchip.com/
haven't checked yet to see how far back they go on paint colors.thanks for your input.
take care - Phil
Old 04-22-2017, 04:03 PM
number3
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

I just had mine repainted , someone had changed the color from ermine white to red and didnt do a very good job. So i had it repainted red looks nice , and like frankie the fink says i did my time in cars that didnt shine , no regrets , but i wish i could have afforded to bring it back to original.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:29 AM
don lemelin
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SW Vette
Anyone have an opinion of the impact on value for original paint that looks like this:

Priceless in my opinion.. if that car was tuxedo black and looked like that I'd have bought it already...
Old 05-12-2017, 12:32 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by don lemelin
Priceless in my opinion.. if that car was tuxedo black and looked like that I'd have bought it already...
Then buy you a black car and go over it with a wire brush.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:34 PM
JMills
Drifting

Received 784 Likes on 330 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

My 63 is near perfect from an originality/correctness standpoint! However, every judging event I get killed on the paint and for me that's ok! Cost a ton-- no hit body--foot deep and five coats of clear! Like Frankie, I had enough of the bad paint jobs over the years! Original or not I just can't get into a poor paint job on a classic Corvette!

Quick Reply: [C2] Original Paint: impact on value?