C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fuel/octane booster storage

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 06:52 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Fuel/octane booster storage

This question is really about how long this stuff lasts in storage.

There are always many questions about octane ratings, boosters, gas etc. and who or what needs it.

IF you do need it and want to buy Octane Supreme 130 or something like it in say a 55 gallon drum to store in garage at home, how long is it good for?

I assume for a looooong time since it is likely stored in bulk by the manufacturer for long periods of time.

I don't know what it is in pump gas that goes bad after a while but hopefully it is not added to the booster products.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:07 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Kemco who originally made Octane Supreme 130 said the shelf life was 4 years. I have some bottles that are 10 years old that still seem to work just fine. Once mixed with fuel, my experience is that the shelf life diminishes....(octane drops over time). In my '65 GTO, I found that while my car still ran fine, the octane had dropped in the tank after 2 years.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:20 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

The lead will last forever. However, over time and exposure to sunlight the organic lead (TEL/TEF) will degrade to other lead compounds and ultimately to inorganic lead. This will obviously effect the octane boost but will still provide (improved) lead protection of the valve seats.

TEL/TEF that has been in the ground for MANY MANY years can still be absorbed thru the skin and possibly injure or kill a person. That is documented fact.

But I would bet 5-10 year shelf life is not unreasonable.

Larry
Old 04-18-2017, 07:36 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Kemco who originally made Octane Supreme 130 said the shelf life was 4 years. I have some bottles that are 10 years old that still seem to work just fine. Once mixed with fuel, my experience is that the shelf life diminishes....(octane drops over time). In my '65 GTO, I found that while my car still ran fine, the octane had dropped in the tank after 2 years.
I have some that is probably getting close to 16 or 17 years old. Still seems to work fine in that it takes care of pinging in my stock 67 GTX. I use it in the Vette too but with aluminum heads and fairly large cam it doesn't seem overly octane sensitive. Powershift is right - it's lethal stuff - curl you hair for sure. I try to not get any on me.

For a stabilizer I've been using Lucas Fuel Stabilizer based on recommendations and it seems to work well. I noticed that as long as I remember to put it in my lawn equipment in the Fall, they start a lot easier come Spring.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 04-18-2017 at 07:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ME93 (03-29-2023)
Old 04-18-2017, 07:39 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I have some that is probably getting close to 16 or 17 years old. Still seems to work fine in that it takes care of pinging in my stock 67 GTX. I use it in the Vette too but with aluminum heads and fairly large cam it doesn't seem overly octane sensitive.

For a stabilizer I've been using Lucas Fuel Stabilizer based on recommendations and it seems to work well. I noticed that as long as I remember to put it in my lawn equipment in the Fall, they start a lot easier come Spring.
I recommend filtering the old OS 130 thru a coffee filter to help remove any sediment and solids from storage degradation. I have seen this in my stock over time and have started filtering what I add.

FWIW.

Larry
Old 04-18-2017, 07:41 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I'll give that a try and see what develops.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:49 AM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I wrote the manufacturer of Octane Supreme 130 months ago and asked this question. Here was the response:

Thanks for your inquiry. The shelf life is 10 years in a sealed container. However, it will "go bad" if not stored in a temperature stable environment. For example, basement of house or attached garage is fine, but a stand alone building (shed, garage, etc.), is not good since it will be subject to wide temperature swings on a very sunny day.

If you have older product in plastic bottles, it is a good idea to use a paint strainer or cheesecloth to separate out any sediment. Do not shake before pouring!

You will still be getting all the Pb for lubrication and octane boost. The carrier is what deteriorates so there could be a slight reduction in octane enhancement.

Last edited by SDVette; 04-19-2017 at 10:51 AM.
ME93 (03-29-2023)
Old 04-19-2017, 12:09 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Originally Posted by SDVette
I wrote the manufacturer of Octane Supreme 130 months ago and asked this question. Here was the response:

Thanks for your inquiry. The shelf life is 10 years in a sealed container. However, it will "go bad" if not stored in a temperature stable environment. For example, basement of house or attached garage is fine, but a stand alone building (shed, garage, etc.), is not good since it will be subject to wide temperature swings on a very sunny day.

If you have older product in plastic bottles, it is a good idea to use a paint strainer or cheesecloth to separate out any sediment. Do not shake before pouring!

You will still be getting all the Pb for lubrication and octane boost. The carrier is what deteriorates so there could be a slight reduction in octane enhancement.
The "carrier" is toluene (methyl benzene). Great octane, but also a great lacquer paint remover. Not certain it will "go bad", but ten years is a long time to speculate.

The TEL is mixed at the source with ethylene dichloride (EDC) and ethylene dibromide (EDB) to yield TEF (tetraethyl fluid). These compounds act as lead scavengers and remove the lead from the combustion process and the engine cylinders as lead oxide/lead chloride/lead bromide. The TEL is also so toxic by itself, that the EDC and EDB help to make it a bit less toxic to store and handle. By itself, TEL was always handled under vacuum to keep it from spilling outside the tanks and piping.

FWIW.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 04-20-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:01 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Good stuff, guys. I always try to use rubber gloves when mixing this stuff with my fuel. It is very nasty indeed. I still have about 6 quart bottles I got out of Utah when Kemco made it. I will be using the cheesecloth/coffee filter trick from now on as I deplete my old stock. Thanks again.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:47 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

FWIW - I fueled up my GTX and strained some Kemco from a fresh bottle into a paint mixing cup and it looked clean - no residue or particulate. However, this was only the top fifth of the bottle or so - could be something in the bottom. This stuff dates from the late 1990 to early 2000s. Looks good so far.
ME93 (03-29-2023)
Old 04-24-2017, 12:58 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Most that stuff is snake oil but tried the OS 130 I was impressed it really does help out. Without it id have to retard the hell out of timing or scatter the motor period.

Gloves..dont breathe it either

Torco makes some legit stuff also many variations for cars with or without cats. pm jbsblown C5
Old 04-24-2017, 05:53 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Most that stuff is snake oil but tried the OS 130 I was impressed it really does help out. Without it id have to retard the hell out of timing or scatter the motor period.

Gloves..dont breathe it either

Torco makes some legit stuff also many variations for cars with or without cats. pm jbsblown C5
This thread is not about what works and what doesn't. There have been other threads regarding that subject.

We know the two your mentioned work and the original post addresses one of them.

This thread is about how long it lasts stored in a garage.
ME93 (03-29-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel/octane booster storage

Quick Reply: Fuel/octane booster storage