C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1959 Corvette - Location of Rear Fender Reflector

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 09:00 PM
PBChase
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 1959 Corvette - Location of Rear Fender Reflector

The prior owner of our 1959 Corvette removed the two rear fender reflectors when the car was repainted. We really like the look of the rear reflectors and want to put them back on the car. I have scoured my AIM and Nolan Adams book but cannot find a reference as to how to locate them on the body. Can someone give me a measurement from the bottom of the chrome trim around the rear tail light to the center of the reflector? I will use this to install the reflectors on our car.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Peter Chase
Old 04-19-2017, 09:44 PM
SunsetC6
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PBChase
The prior owner of our 1959 Corvette removed the two rear fender reflectors when the car was repainted. We really like the look of the rear reflectors and want to put them back on the car. I have scoured my AIM and Nolan Adams book but cannot find a reference as to how to locate them on the body. Can someone give me a measurement from the bottom of the chrome trim around the rear tail light to the center of the reflector? I will use this to install the reflectors on our car.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Peter Chase
I can get that for you in the morning around 7:30 EST. I have a fully documented NCRS 59. Be happy to help.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:00 PM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

Did you look inside the trunk for filled holes?
Old 04-19-2017, 10:48 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

As Wilbur said look in the trunk in the area where the reflectors were originally fastened.
The holes were filled and there should be some material where the hole was filled.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:17 AM
SunsetC6
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Peter,
As stated by others you should see filler where the holes were from inside. If not, I know you wanted measurement from the bottom of light trim to the hole. That is a radius measurement so it might be a little tricky. Best measurement is to go up from the ridge on the bumper that is under the reflector. Your centerline hole should be 2 1/4" up from the top of that ridge and the reflector will center on that raised area of the bumper.
The following users liked this post:
PBChase (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 11:08 AM
PBChase
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SunsetC6
Peter,
As stated by others you should see filler where the holes were from inside. If not, I know you wanted measurement from the bottom of light trim to the hole. That is a radius measurement so it might be a little tricky. Best measurement is to go up from the ridge on the bumper that is under the reflector. Your centerline hole should be 2 1/4" up from the top of that ridge and the reflector will center on that raised area of the bumper.
Thanks everyone for this information. I did look in the trunk and found where the holes were filled in but it hard to determine where to drill them out from the outside of the car. SunsetC6's info will help me get close and then I can fine tune as needed. Looking forward to getting out in the garage to get this started.

Peter
Old 04-21-2017, 12:56 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

You may no longer need info, but mine are exactly 5" from the center top of the reflector chrome to the bottom center of the tail light chrome. In the bottom photo the tape end was against the body of the car when I measured, I turned it loose to take the picture and it moved out slightly, but I held the top of the tape steady.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 04-21-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:25 PM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert;1594577i815
You may no longer need info, but mine are exactly 5" from the center top of the reflector chrome to the bottom center of the tail light chrome. In the bottom photo the tape end was against the body of the car when I measured, I turned it loose to take the picture and it moved out slightly, but I held the top of the tape steady.

I agree mine is the same
Old 04-25-2017, 02:17 PM
Audiophobe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

My 58 has no reflector either almost certainly for the same reason (the previous owner repainted and did not replace).
Interestingly though, I read that some of the early 58's came off the factory line without the reflectors. I doubt that was ever true of the 59's.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:26 AM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

I have a very late 60 (Aug 60), it was sold by Deering Chevrolet in Savannah, Ga in Sept 60, and it does not have rear reflectors, nor does it show signs it ever had them, it also does not have courtesy lights windshield washers or emergency brake warning light, it shows no signs any of the above features were ever on the car, also it didn,t come with a radio, but I later installed one. It did come with a heater and visors.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To 1959 Corvette - Location of Rear Fender Reflector

Quick Reply: 1959 Corvette - Location of Rear Fender Reflector