tremec 5 spd - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C1 & C2 Corvettes
General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tremec 5 spd

Old 04-20-2017, 06:17 AM   #1
number3
CF Senior Member

Default tremec 5 spd

Well after a long battle with whether to keep it stock or do a little resto mod , i gave in and ordered a 5 spd . I also ordered a flange set to make the cross member removable . I was really not in favor of doing this cause the car is all numbers matching, but i want to take the car on some long trips and it was just uncomfortable driving it with the 4 spd on long hauls although it was great around town. I contacted Silver Sport Transmissions and they hooked me up with everything needed for the conversion except for the crossmember flanges. As soon as i get the car out of the paint shop (i wish i knew i was gonna do the tranny ahead of time ) I'll get it to the shop for the install. I'll keep ya posted on the results .
number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:49 AM   #2
ILBMF
CF Senior Member

That extra gear opens a whole new world on the highway
ILBMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:01 AM   #3
wmf62
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '07

the 5th gear is a pia, it's the OD that counts.... right now I go 1, 3, 4 and/or 5....
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 04-20-2017 at 07:02 AM.
wmf62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:12 AM   #4
number3
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmf62 View Post
the 5th gear is a pia, it's the OD that counts.... right now I go 1, 3, 4 and/or 5....
Bill
where did you get your 5 spd and why dont you use 2nd ?
Old 04-20-2017, 08:00 AM   #5
Frankie the Fink
Hobbyist..
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,047 Times in 893 Posts

You will never justify the purchase monetarily.....wear and tear and better gas mileage won't pay you back in your lifetime if you're as old as most of us. If you do it, do it because you just want gentler cruising. I ran a Tremec for about 6 years - great product but not cheap...
Frankie the Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #6
number3
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
You will never justify the purchase monetarily.....wear and tear and better gas mileage won't pay you back in your lifetime if you're as old as most of us. If you do it, do it because you just want gentler cruising. I ran a Tremec for about 6 years - great product but not cheap...
thats exactly why why im doing it frankie , and your right it wasnt cheap ! But it isnt a show car or a trailer queen I love to drive it and it really bothered me about the high rpm's in 4th not to mention the fuel milage . Ive saved all the parts that came off the car so that it can be returned to matching numbers if i ever sell it. Dont think i ever will , but who knows.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:39 AM   #7
Frankie the Fink
Hobbyist..
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by number3 View Post
thats exactly why why im doing it frankie , and your right it wasnt cheap ! But it isnt a show car or a trailer queen I love to drive it and it really bothered me about the high rpm's in 4th not to mention the fuel milage . Ive saved all the parts that came off the car so that it can be returned to matching numbers if i ever sell it. Don't think i ever will , but who knows.
I did the Tremec for that reason...that solid lifter lil ole 283ci original mill was cranking hard at interstate speeds and I would grit my teeth at the RPM. I also gave my original B-W T-10 in perfect condition to the new owner of the car. My Tremec at interstate speeds:
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Frankie the Fink For This Useful Post:
jerry gollnick (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:47 AM   #8
number3
CF Senior Member

Quote:
I did the Tremec for that reason...that solid lifter lil ole 283ci original mill was cranking hard at interstate speeds and I would grit my teeth at the RPM. I also gave my original B-W T-10 in perfect condition to the new owner of the car. My Tremec at interstate speeds:
Ha Ha ,I know exactly what ya mean when ya say grit your teeth ! I found it to be stress full driving home after a show one night , like i had to be on my toes the whole ride .It was really annoying . Of course back in the day i wouldve been lovin it for sure ! Thanks for the pic , im looking forward to this upgrade for sure .
Old 04-20-2017, 09:55 AM   #9
tuxnharley
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by number3 View Post
Well after a long battle with whether to keep it stock or do a little resto mod , i gave in and ordered a 5 spd . I also ordered a flange set to make the cross member removable . I was really not in favor of doing this cause the car is all numbers matching, but i want to take the car on some long trips and it was just uncomfortable driving it with the 4 spd on long hauls although it was great around town. I contacted Silver Sport Transmissions and they hooked me up with everything needed for the conversion except for the crossmember flanges. As soon as i get the car out of the paint shop (i wish i knew i was gonna do the tranny ahead of time ) I'll get it to the shop for the install. I'll keep ya posted on the results .
You will love it. I have had a Tremec 5 spd in my '67 for almost 10 years now. It totally transfoms the car at highway speeds. And, in my case, since I had the close ratio Muncie and its 2.20 first gear combined with a 3.36 axle, the Tremec 3.27 first gear made street driving starts much easier and cleaner. No more slipping the clutch, especially on hills!

Cost - hell, this isn't about cost. If it was we wouldn't even own these cars in the first place.
tuxnharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #10
warrenmj
Mark
Support Corvetteforum!

I've had mine 10-12 years now and love it. That and the Steeroids rack and pinion install make it a much better road car. You won't regret it.
warrenmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #11
GTOguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
This is exactly right. Do it because you want a cool running car that keeps up with traffic, gets good MPG, and you can have a conversation in. You'll need to run it 400,000 miles to have it 'pay for itself' in fuel savings. I installed a lazy 2.56 gear in my '67 GTO because the engine can easily pull it, and what a difference from the 3.36 that was in there....I added 6-7 mpg and now can keep up and blow on by interstate traffic. Totally changed the car (for the better).
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #12
number3
CF Senior Member

Thanks for the positive comments , i wrestled with the decision cause i didnt want to restomod and wanted to keep it original ,but i really enjoy driving it and wanted the experience to be more enjoyable
Old 04-20-2017, 11:46 AM   #13
Lotsacubes
CF Senior Member

"Cost - hell, this isn't about cost. If it was we wouldn't even own these cars in the first place." .....Exactly

You're gonna love it. I suppose if you planned on removing the trans often the removable cross member makes sense. Our technician took our TKO600 in and out twice to make clutch/PP upgrades with our stock frame. He said it wasn't fun, but can be done. Ours is 1500 rpm at 50mph cruising 2 lanes. 2050 @70. Really transforms the car. Enjoy!
Lotsacubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:16 PM   #14
Vettrocious
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I just finished my car with the TREMEC 5 speed. After a couple of short drives I'm finding a lot of clutch chatter in first gear. Silversport tells me my problem is the 3.08 differential, that a 3.5 or 3.7 would not have this issue. Not sure why they're telling me now, as they knew the ratio before I ordered the trans. I can put the original pig (with a 3.7) back in, but before going to all that trouble , I'm wondering if annyone else experienced this?
Vettrocious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #15
Lotsacubes
CF Senior Member

Do you mean chatter during engagement... pulling out from a stop?
Lotsacubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #16
Vettrocious
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotsacubes View Post
Do you mean chatter during engagement... pulling out from a stop?
Yes
Vettrocious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:45 PM   #17
warrenmj
Mark
Support Corvetteforum!

I've had my Tremec for 10-12 years with 3.70 and don't have any chatter or noise
warrenmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:45 PM   #18
number3
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettrocious View Post
I just finished my car with the TREMEC 5 speed. After a couple of short drives I'm finding a lot of clutch chatter in first gear. Silversport tells me my problem is the 3.08 differential, that a 3.5 or 3.7 would not have this issue. Not sure why they're telling me now, as they knew the ratio before I ordered the trans. I can put the original pig (with a 3.7) back in, but before going to all that trouble , I'm wondering if annyone else experienced this?
Its funny that you should mention that. When i rebuilt the drivetrain last year i of course installed a new clutch , had it all balanced and everything . But it chatters like hell when i first take off if i try to feather the clutch a little (in both first and reverse) If i dump it its fine . I was told that the clutch had to break in . When i purchased the tremec from SST they also sold me a new clutch . When i asked their recommended installer about the clutch he told me that if they recommended it they must have had good results with that choice of clutch . I just want to make sure that when its installed they dont come back on me with something like you should have bought the clutch we suggested and you wouldnt be having this problem. I have the 3.7 so we'll see what happens . Did you also get their clutch ?

Last edited by number3; 04-20-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:51 PM   #19
Frankie the Fink
Hobbyist..
Support Corvetteforum!

When I did the Tremec in the 61. I bought the clutch with the kit. They actually had a 10.5" clutch option that was more highly rated than many 11" versions.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #20
number3
CF Senior Member

Quote:
When I did the Tremec in the 61. I bought the clutch with the kit. They actually had a 10.5" clutch option that was more highly rated than many 11" versions.
I beleive the one they sold me was also a 10.5 , I wonder what difference there is between the 2 other than the measurement ? Did you have any chatter with yours ?

Last edited by number3; 04-20-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • tremec 5 spd
  •