C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Help 427 bad oil smoke on startup

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 10:06 PM
dpfarrell
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That could be but I am pretty sure that I replaced the valve seals correctly. Do you think that it could be the oil rings let oil get by them when its cold, and then when it they warm up and expand they stop letting oil by them?

Thanks for all the input.
Greatly appreciated.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:41 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Beats me - but interestingly I was watching an episode of Bitching Rides the other day and they had a roadster blowing oil smoke pretty good and tried replacing valve oil seals without luck. They tore down the motor and found one cylinder where the expander/spacer for the oil ring was overlapped at the ends rather than butted up. That fixed the issue. But before they fixed it, it just kept blowing smoke - it didn't clear up as the motor warmed up. Your issue just seems to fit with some sort of a valve problem. I would bet on GTOguy's response or something similar.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 04-20-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:57 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

If you hold your hand behind the exhaust when the engine is smoking is it a blue smoke which leaves a greasy residue on your palm or a moist, watery residue from whitish smoke. I'm not convinced the symptoms are correct yet.

The things that happen as an engine warms up are the choke opening, exhaust PS manifold heat riser opens (if there is one), engine clearances expand and idle drops.

If there is oil sitting on the heads from the engine sitting it'll get sucked down into the cylinders.....could be a crappy valve seal repair job. I wouldn't rule out a head gasket issue. It all depends on identifying what's coming out the *** end of the car. 99% certain leaves 1% in doubt..
Old 04-21-2017, 09:44 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
It's been awhile since I did a leak down but don't they typically suggest 100 psi air pressure (or is my memory failing me)?? If so 20 lbs is the same as 20%.

OP - could you tell where the leakage was going - into the crankcase or into the exhaust/intake manifold?

Is it BOTH banks that are smoking?

Usually bad valve seals cause smoke immediately on startup.................not 1 full minute after. Pooled oil gets sucked into the chambers, smokes until it's burned off. This fact leaves me wondering if it's not something else, like differential expansion between aluminum heads and iron block causing leakage until both reach same temperature and equalize.

Try running the engine until the smoke starts, then shut it off, pull plugs, do leakdown again and listen for air at tailpipe (leaky exhaust valve), carburetor (leaky intake valve), and oil filler (leaky rings and/or head gasket) for each cylinder.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 04-21-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:21 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack

Is it BOTH banks that are smoking?

Usually bad valve seals cause smoke immediately on startup.................not 1 full minute after. Pooled oil gets sucked into the chambers, smokes until it's burned off. This fact leaves me wondering if it's not something else, like differential expansion between aluminum heads and iron block causing leakage until both reach same temperature and equalize.

Try running the engine until the smoke starts, then shut it off, pull plugs, do leakdown again and listen for air at tailpipe (leaky exhaust valve), carburetor (leaky intake valve), and oil filler (leaky rings and/or head gasket) for each cylinder.
IF it is oil and not unburned gas, and the carb is not the issue, then this is about the only thing left. Not certain how best to solve it.........perhaps doing what is suggested above and also pulling the intake manifold to check for clues in the old gaskets and in the intake runners. Could be a hairline crack somewhere that opens ups when cool and closes off after engine is up to temperature.

Since it is intermittent and not continuous, I would probably live with it until things get worse..........if they ever do.

Larry
Old 04-21-2017, 11:39 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Doing a leakdown test and listening to where the blowby is coming out may help. You'll need to do all cylinders. I'm convinced you are using oil by your description of the smoke and your apparent knowledge! My gut tells me it's valve guides/seals, though. A bad oil control ring would burn oil all the time.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:52 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by dpfarrell
I have a 1967 427/435 with the factory aluminum heads. If I do a cold start, after about 1 minute I get BAD oil smoke out both sides of the exhaust. If I let it run for 3 or 4 minutes it will clean out and there is no evidence of oil burning at all after that. I replaced the valve seals which did not help the problem. Ive owned the car for about 10 years but have not driven it much. The engine looks to have been rebuilt before I got it. If I just let it sit a couple of hours and restart it,it will not smoke any. It only seems to smoke after the engine returns to room temp. Any help??
From my personal experience attempting to control oil burning in my BBC,
if the guides are bad enough, new seals won't fix the problem. Apparently the white teflon seals don't have a large range of flexibility. Mine has the Viton with teflon seal.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:11 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

It has been my experience that if it is guides or seals It will smoke on start up then clear up. If you let it idle for a while and then hit the accelerator with no load on the engine it will puff smoke again. Also if you are cruising at a steady speed for a while and then accelerate hard it will smoke again. What is happening is that the oil slipping by is building up with a small amount being burned at cruise that you don't see. When you hit it harder it burns the build up quicker so you can see it.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:37 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I think it will smoke on deceleration when engine vacuum spikes. If it smokes under load, consistently, it's rings most often.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:11 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I think it will smoke on deceleration when engine vacuum spikes. If it smokes under load, consistently, it's rings most often.
You think right. High manifold vacuum (deceleration) will suck oil past the valve guides. Easy to spot when following a car coasting down a grade or exiting the freeway. I think the OP has worn guides/seals, and that's what I would check before the next step, which is pulling the engine down.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:21 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

What kind of seals did you put on? Those white Teflon seals are worthless and will definitely cause problems.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:22 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by GTOguy
You think right. High manifold vacuum (deceleration) will suck oil past the valve guides. Easy to spot when following a car coasting down a grade or exiting the freeway. I think the OP has worn guides/seals, and that's what I would check before the next step, which is pulling the engine down.
Yeah -- can't reconcile the 1 minute lapse before the smoke on a cold start though.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:44 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Yeah -- can't reconcile the 1 minute lapse before the smoke on a cold start though.
I still wonder if that couldn't be due to most of the oil leaking past the guides is on the exhaust valves. If the valve seats are in good shape, except for the open valve or two the oil will sit on top the valve and blow into the exhaust manifold upon starting. Give the manifold a minute or so to get blistering hot and the oil starts to burn off.

Seems I remember that BBs are hard on exhaust valve seals and guides.

Yes? No?
Old 04-21-2017, 03:45 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Throw something out here; Cylinder head oil drain hole(s) restricted, causing oil to puddle and drain into cylinder(s) normally via valve seal, possibly crack.

Last edited by hope2; 04-21-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:48 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Far fetch; intake manifold sucking oil out of valley on startup.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:20 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by hope2
Far fetch; intake manifold sucking oil out of valley on startup.
Except its not on startup
Old 04-22-2017, 10:48 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

w/gto guy a refresh on the heads if seals doesnt get it should set you right

Get notified of new replies

To Help 427 bad oil smoke on startup

Old 04-22-2017, 11:03 AM
dpfarrell
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Except its not on startup
Thanks for all of the discussion. Yes it does blow smoke out of both banks.

If I can eliminate the issue is with the rings then I will not have to pull the engine.If it is an issue with the heads,gaskets,or intake, that will make my job easier.
As I recall from doing a leak down, the noise is coming from the PVC or air breather holes in the valve covers.
I will run some of the tests discussed earlier and get back to you.
Again thanks for all the help.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:31 AM
survivor66
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Hope it's not bad oil rings as I first suggested. They expand as engine warms like everything else, and could be gunked up and worn, preventing them from sealing properly when cold. That would result in leak down sounds through the crankcase.

Last edited by survivor66; 04-22-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:50 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by dpfarrell
Thanks for all of the discussion. Yes it does blow smoke out of both banks.

If I can eliminate the issue is with the rings then I will not have to pull the engine.If it is an issue with the heads,gaskets,or intake, that will make my job easier.
As I recall from doing a leak down, the noise is coming from the PVC or air breather holes in the valve covers.
I will run some of the tests discussed earlier and get back to you.
Again thanks for all the help.

What seals did you use?

Quick Reply: [C2] Help 427 bad oil smoke on startup