C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Stock wiring from head light relay to head lights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 08:56 PM
DSR
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by rtruman
When I installed Halogens they made the breaker open and lights blink off and on that tells they drew more current .
yes I read that somewhere else that's why I was thinking that the halogens would draw more current. I haven't studied up on the headlight bulbs enough yet to know what I'm talking about it.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:26 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by DSR
yes I read that somewhere else that's why I was thinking that the halogens would draw more current. I haven't studied up on the headlight bulbs enough yet to know what I'm talking about it.
It becomes irrelevant vis a vis the headlight switch if you use relays. The thermal relays in the headlight switch are not a good means to determine current draw. On low beams (98% of our driving) the halogens draw far less current than original T3s.

You can read this thread from the Chevelle forum instead of relying on conjecture (see the chart comparing T3s to Halogens):

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/27-e...t-wattage.html

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-21-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:24 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Those connectors you posted a picture of in post #9 are readily available. Packard/Delphi 56 Series.

https://theelectricaldepot.com/weath...103107af44ad3f

A wiring diagram for headlight relays below:

Old 04-21-2017, 11:42 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Put LED Headlamps in and no wiring mods, relays, etc. are required. Plug and play!
Old 04-22-2017, 08:16 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
It becomes irrelevant vis a vis the headlight switch if you use relays. The thermal relays in the headlight switch are not a good means to determine current draw. On low beams (98% of our driving) the halogens draw far less current than original T3s.

You can read this thread from the Chevelle forum instead of relying on conjecture (see the chart comparing T3s to Halogens):

I looked at the article and did compare total wattage when high and low beams are on together at 12 volts .
The charts shows T-3s at total wattage at 78.4
Halogens at total wattage at the same 12 volts at 81.2
That's why when you install the Halogens on the stock harness with the high beams on the circuit breakers opens showing the wattage is more on Halogens when using all headlights at the same time.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:09 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I looked at the article and did compare total wattage when high and low beams are on together at 12 volts .
That's why when you install the Halogens on the stock harness with the high beams on the circuit breakers opens showing the wattage is more on Halogens when using all headlights at the same time.
I won't get into it....I doubt those thermal breakers are tuned within 3 watts to make/break connections...they are gross failsafes at best.. If you looked at the chart then you know low beam driving with Halogens is significantly less current draw than T3s. With high beams the comparison the wattages is close but Halogens are slightly higher...

Again, with the relays it doesn't matter.

However, I run the stock harness, and, stock headlight switch (an 095 NOS 63-only switch to be exact) in my 63 WITH Halogens withOUT rleays and I have NO issues on hi or low beam...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-22-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:35 AM
DSR
Drifting

Thanks Buns. I just ordered some from Napa Auto Parts this morning.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:39 AM
DSR
Drifting

Originally Posted by babbah
Put LED Headlamps in and no wiring mods, relays, etc. are required. Plug and play!
I was considering that option. But from what I was reading most of them you have to cut out the metal headlight pot behind the headlight to make them fit. Do you know of a brand that will fit without interference?
Old 04-22-2017, 09:49 AM
DSR
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tooth Doctor
I used a kit similar to this from Ebay when I switched to halogen lights. The quality is good, I've had it for two years and so far it works well. It replaced all the headlight wiring from the firewall connector to the headlights.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Headlight-...3D162412489156

Thanks Frankie. Those charts are exactly what I have been looking for.
Dave
Old 04-22-2017, 11:10 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

I won't get into it....I doubt those thermal breakers are tuned within 3 watts to make/break connections...they are gross failsafes at best.. If you looked at the chart then you know low beam driving with Halogens is significantly less current draw than T3s. With high beams the comparison the wattages is close but Halogens are slightly higher...

Again, with the relays it doesn't matter.

However, I run the stock harness, and, stock headlight switch (an 095 NOS 63-only switch to be exact) in my 63 WITH Halogens withOUT rleays and I have NO issues on hi or low beam...
Not to give you a hard time take the 63 out leaving high beams on for
a little while and watch the light show . This is the second 63 I have done and both had light shows on high beams.
Remember on my set up this time I ran extra circuit with the relay set
up just for safety purposes. I used this set up with no trouble after installing the plug and play unit. Just saying so the outer guys can read about it this subject comes up 3 times a year. The unit can be purchased from summit racing Part -RFW HR-56
Attached Images   
Old 04-22-2017, 02:43 PM
DSR
Drifting

Originally Posted by DSR
Hi Frank. I think on my 65 I'lI have to separate two of the stock connections that feeds high and low beam from the dimmer switch.. At the connection where the driver side headlight extension plugs into the main harness. There is a jumper wire in the harness side of that connector that runs over to the passenger side headlights. That jumper wire to the passenger side head light and the wire for the driver side light will have to be fed from the relay. This is Doc Rebuilds wiring diagram. I put yellow and green circles on the two connections that would have to be separated. They currently have two wires crimped under one connector in these spots.
after rethinking this these connections do not have to be separated. When you turn on the light switch the original wires will turn the Headlights on ,but that will also power up the relay at the same time. Current will follow the path of least resistance through the heavier wire to the relay.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:42 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

I put halogens in my '64 before doing the relays and never had a problem. They were brighter than stock, but the relays made them even brighter.

Of course adding the "third" headlight brightened things up by another 50%.

Last edited by toddalin; 04-22-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:15 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DSR
I was considering that option. But from what I was reading most of them you have to cut out the metal headlight pot behind the headlight to make them fit. Do you know of a brand that will fit without interference?
NONE - Mods to the LED headlamp assembly are required then Extensive bucket and trim ring mods are required to get them to fit.
Its not for the faint hearted.

Last edited by babbah; 04-23-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:26 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Ive had Halogens in my 67 for 3 decades, before I switched them out. and never once has the headlight breaker tripped or the headlamps turn off or flash during operation.

The 2.8W difference you indicate above would never trip the headlight breaker. You must have a repro of the original switch. They are problematic.

I'm still running the original 50 year old headlamp switch with no issues.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:51 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by DSR
after rethinking this these connections do not have to be separated. When you turn on the light switch the original wires will turn the Headlights on ,but that will also power up the relay at the same time. Current will follow the path of least resistance through the heavier wire to the relay.
I have no clue what you are talking about... If you don't separate the trigger and main power you don't need the relays -- you already have that with the negative result of drawing power through the headlight and dimmer switches... You're overthinking the issue...
The following users liked this post:
rtruman (04-24-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 06:04 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by toddalin
I put halogens in my '64 before doing the relays and never had a problem. They were brighter than stock, but the relays made them even brighter.

Speed of light is faster than the great 427
Old 04-23-2017, 06:28 PM
DSR
Drifting

I don't think I've ever seen a car with 6 headlights on the front. LOL

Get notified of new replies

To Stock wiring from head light relay to head lights?

Old 04-23-2017, 06:35 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Photo shop
Old 04-23-2017, 07:53 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

I have no clue what you are talking about... If you don't separate the trigger and main power you don't need the relays -- you already have that with the negative result of drawing power through the headlight and dimmer switches... You're overthinking the issue...
I understand what he is talking about, and it makes sense.

If you have a "skinny" wire feeding the headlights, with lots of other "draws" on it, it is subject to more resistance than a "fat" wire that feeds directly to the headlights, which is what most people/I do/did when adding the relays.

But if the stock wiring is left in place, you now have the "fat" wire that you added AND the "skinny" wire feeding the headlights, and any resistance of the "skinny" wire becomes a moot point because the fat wire makes up for it.

In fact, some current from the "relays/fat wire" could now backfeed through the "skinny" wire into the dash wiring perhaps even brightening up those lights a bit.

Of course, the fusing could now be "weird" because you are feeding current from "two directions" so you would need to fuse "both sides" and then how would you figure out what value each fuse should be for adequate protection?

Last edited by toddalin; 04-23-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:36 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I understand what he is talking about, and it makes sense.

If you have a "skinny" wire feeding the headlights, with lots of other "draws" on it, it is subject to more resistance than a "fat" wire that feeds directly to the headlights, which is what most people/I do/did when adding the relays.

But if the stock wiring is left in place, you now have the "fat" wire that you added AND the "skinny" wire feeding the headlights, and any resistance of the "skinny" wire becomes a moot point because the fat wire makes up for it.

In fact, some current from the "relays/fat wire" could now backfeed through the "skinny" wire into the dash wiring perhaps even brightening up those lights a bit.

Of course, the fusing could now be "weird" because you are feeding current from "two directions" so you would need to fuse "both sides" and then how would you figure out what value each fuse should be for adequate protection?
Uh. If you say so. I'll stick with the Mad Electric approach.

Quick Reply: [C2] Stock wiring from head light relay to head lights?