C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Posi friction modifier- old lesson relearned.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 01:55 PM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Default Posi friction modifier- old lesson relearned.

For a number of recent drives in my 63 I have been noticing some noise from the rear end. Backing out of my garage, I have to make 90* right turn. I would get a little grinding sound. Making a turn from a stop it would be a rubbing sound. I initially suspected the posi, but since I had the rear end totally rebuilt about 3 years ago I thought it must be something else. Crawling under the car I could see no sign of rubbing. I finally picked up a 4oz bottle of the friction modifier from the Chevy dealer. Man I hate working under that car! Using double jack stands I got it up enough. To get to the square plug and have enough leverage, I had to remove the spare tire and tub-joy( a different kind of project creep!)

After numerous, no I'm not crazy, figure 8's, the problem seems resolved. I'm not sure how many bottles of the modifier were used when the rear end was rebuilt, but a second or third seems to have fixed it

Like I read on the Forum all the time, "when your posi equipped rear end starts acting funny, add a bottle of the modifier and do some figure 8s before you start tearing into things!"

Don't suppose this stuff breaks down do you?

Quick Reply: Posi friction modifier- old lesson relearned.