C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 Bright Blue Interior - Getting the Correct Shades of Blue

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 11:09 AM
Dragin88
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 66 Bright Blue Interior - Getting the Correct Shades of Blue

I am restoring an original 66 coupe with the Bright Blue interior. I have read many "Bright Blue" threads here on the forum discussing issues with getting the shade and sheen of blue correct on the various interior components.

Several components of the forward interior are significantly darker than the bright blue color that many aftermarket suppliers are supplying their pars in. The original dash, dash pads, speaker grill, lower windshield trim, console and radio side panels are darker than the balance of the original bright blue interior. I believe GM did this for glare issues that may have occurred with a lighter/brighter color on the dash area.

In 66 the Corvette interior was offered in two blue interiors; Bright Blue and Blue (sometimes referred to as Dark Blue). I have used Corvette America aresol dye/paint with very good results in the past. Their Bright Blue aresol is just way too light for the dash area components. Has anyone used their Dark Blue (part number 431944) on the darker components of a Bright Blue interior?

Thanks
Old 04-25-2017, 12:44 AM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Received 339 Likes on 255 Posts

The dash area and pads darken over time from sun exposure. My 66 bright blue interior was the same way. You definitely don't want to re-dye those dash pads with the dark blue dye ... its not correct for a bright blue interior. There are 2 paint codes for the interior on bright blue cars (414/415). The difference is primarily the sheen ... which makes the low gloss pieces look "slightly" darker ... not anywhere as dark as dark blue interiors (418/419).

GM did use a "3 gloss" paint code on the upper parts your are referring to in order to reduce glare. The Ditzler code for this low gloss medium bright blue is DIA-13071. These parts got painted with this:

- dash pads
- door panels
- sun visors
- windshield lower garnish molding
- speaker grill
- heater/radio panels
- console
- hardtop headliner
- jack storage wells

All the rest of the medium bright blue interior got "60 gloss" paint which is basically full gloss. The Ditzler code for this is DL-13057. These got painted with this:

- upper garnish moldings
- hardtop garnish moldings
- halo panel
- door upper-inner
- kick panel retainer
- lock pillar returns and inner cap covers

Here's a pic I saved a long time ago of a freshened bright blue interior to show what it should look like. You can't detect the sheen differences in this picture, but you can see how the upper dash area should look compared to the rest of the interior. Sorry I can't recall who's car it is. Bill
Attached Images  

Last edited by NightshiftHD; 04-25-2017 at 12:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Hitch (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 12:55 AM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

If it were me I would be using Al Knoch interior parts and I would definitely call and explain all I was concerned about. I would get the name of the person I spoke with and make it clear that I would expect all of the parts to be selected and compared for color match prior to shipping. Record the time & date of order. That way if anything had to be returned because of a color problem they would know they were paying the return shipping and make it known at order time. You can bet they will go the extra steps.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:05 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by NightshiftHD
The dash area and pads darken over time from sun exposure. My 66 bright blue interior was the same way. You definitely don't want to re-dye those dash pads with the dark blue dye ... its not correct for a bright blue interior. There are 2 paint codes for the interior on bright blue cars (414/415). The difference is primarily the sheen ... which makes the low gloss pieces look "slightly" darker ... not anywhere as dark as dark blue interiors (418/419).

GM did use a "3 gloss" paint code on the upper parts your are referring to in order to reduce glare. The Ditzler code for this low gloss medium bright blue is DIA-13071. These parts got painted with this:

- dash pads
- door panels
- sun visors
- windshield lower garnish molding
- speaker grill
- heater/radio panels
- console
- hardtop headliner
- jack storage wells

All the rest of the medium bright blue interior got "60 gloss" paint which is basically full gloss. The Ditzler code for this is DL-13057. These got painted with this:

- upper garnish moldings
- hardtop garnish moldings
- halo panel
- door upper-inner
- kick panel retainer
- lock pillar returns and inner cap covers

Here's a pic I saved a long time ago of a freshened bright blue interior to show what it should look like. You can't detect the sheen differences in this picture, but you can see how the upper dash area should look compared to the rest of the interior. Sorry I can't recall who's car it is. Bill
Glad you liked how the car turned out... lol...
Old 04-25-2017, 08:11 AM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Ahha ... now I know who this beautiful bright blue interior belongs to! Gorgeous Hitch.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:14 AM
Dragin88
Intermediate

Bill, thanks for the detailed reply, very good information. I have come across the Bright Blue interior photo you included (Hitch) before, nice example of Bright Blue.

I am restoring an original interior and I do agree that after fifty years various components will no longer show original colours and sheens. I am satisfied that the components that I will be replacing (seat covers, door panels, visors, arm rest cushion, carpet) are the correct shade of Bright Blue. The one exception is the dash pad skins, I believe they are too bright.

My concern, in addition to the skins, is the parts that will be refinished: windshield trims, halo panel, console, radio panels, speaker grill, etc. Although I realize colours have faded, and I appreciate your comments, I do believe various original components were painted with not only different sheens but also with different colours. The attached photo shows the original lower windshield trim, the adjoining vertical trim and a spray out test of Corvette America Bright Blue dye/paint. The Corvette America Bright Blue is very close to the vertical trim but not close to the lower trim. The lower trim is representative to the other darker blues of my car.

All further comments are appreciated.
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2017, 11:22 AM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Let me ask you this ... did you buy this car new? I'm assuming no, and since the car is over 50 yrs old and likely gone thru several previous owners, there is a very good chance one of them did some "touching up". I know mine did, and the paints they chose were likely the closest thing they could find to medium bright blue in a rattle can from their local automotive or hardware store. In my case, they were WAY off ... much too "robins egg blue".

If you look at original paint codes for our interiors, there are only the 2 I mentioned above for the 2 levels of sheen. Just 2. So it's my opinion that basically everything was painted close to the same color ... and the only difference is the type of clear coat that was added to it ... 3 gloss or 60 gloss. Bill

Last edited by NightshiftHD; 04-25-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:46 AM
Dragin88
Intermediate

Bill, I am the forth owner of the car. The car is fully documented (window sticker, sales invoice, P.O.P., warrantee book, manuals, original registration, etc.). I have had several conversations with all three previous owners regarding many details of the car's past. The first two owners are in their 70's and still have great stories about the car. Recently, the second owner remembered he still had a set of original, un-used, keys with coded knock-outs in place and the original dated F41 rear shocks, he sent these items to me.

During my restoration I have disassembled completely all components to their elementary parts. Only a few parts where ever changed or modified and I am pretty sure I understand what they were. As with any good restoration, my goal is to return the car to the state it was in when delivered, no better, no worse.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:50 PM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Understand. Hopefully John Hinckley or someone who really knows how these interior parts were painted will jump in and straighten us out. Cheers, Bill
Old 04-25-2017, 08:53 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Originally Posted by NightshiftHD
Understand. Hopefully John Hinckley or someone who really knows how these interior parts were painted will jump in and straighten us out. Cheers, Bill
For the dash pads and trim I used the Corvette America paint/dye... The color is great in my opinion.. It matches the CA seats and door panels perfect...

HITCH
Old 04-25-2017, 09:45 PM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hitch
For the dash pads and trim I used the Corvette America paint/dye... The color is great in my opinion.. It matches the CA seats and door panels perfect...

HITCH

Yup, that's what I've dyed my dash pads, dash, speaker grill, lower windshield molding, door panels, console & radio panels with too. It does match the my new AK seat skins perfectly. In fact, it is a close enough match to my original sun visors I didn't need to re-dye them. Bill

Last edited by NightshiftHD; 04-25-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:04 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Not to highjack the thread but has anyone else had a problem with the door panels getting dark spots from sweat or water?

HITCH
Old 04-26-2017, 09:09 AM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hitch
Not to highjack the thread but has anyone else had a problem with the door panels getting dark spots from sweat or water?

HITCH
Not on my door panels (originals) Hitch but I had that problem on my 1st set of replacement leather seat skins. If they weren't so cracked, I would have tried dying them, rather than buying new ones.

But on the dark spots, I'm not sure what causes them. But they are very noticeable. Bill
Old 02-29-2020, 07:24 PM
bauto
Drifting

Received 331 Likes on 164 Posts

I was doing a search on bright blue trim code 450 because I have the same issues as stated where the dash, window trim etc is painted a darker blue than corvette America's bright blue, I believe my dash had never been out prior to my removal , I have some pictures on a post earlier today where you can see with my sanding the darker blue color under the lighter blue that someone had sprayed on .

Get notified of new replies

To 66 Bright Blue Interior - Getting the Correct Shades of Blue

Quick Reply: 66 Bright Blue Interior - Getting the Correct Shades of Blue