C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

62 cooling advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 10:56 PM
jcchevy
Pro

Received 248 Likes on 105 Posts

Default 62 cooling advice

I believe I have analyzed this one to the issue but always looking for more insight. Startup of project car went well. All gauges worked and tracked! Issue I have is with cooling. Initially found the "new" NAPA Tstat (180) did not show any signifiant opening until about 220. Replaced with Stewart Hi-flow (160) and water checked. It was showing opening by 180. Started car but still did feel any flow through upper hose and temp went to about 215 by gauge and heat gun on Tstat housing. That leads me to the water pump? I have checked coolant level and all looks good. Exp tank is about 3/4 full. Both my other cars will make the upper hose pretty solid as the Tstat opens. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:17 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

New build and filling cooling system--did you keep track of how much fluid you put in it? You may have an air lock. Let it cool completely several times and see if you can add more coolant before you start worrying about the water pump.
The following users liked this post:
jcchevy (04-25-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 11:45 PM
jcchevy
Pro

Received 248 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
New build and filling cooling system--did you keep track of how much fluid you put in it? You may have an air lock. Let it cool completely several times and see if you can add more coolant before you start worrying about the water pump.
When I drained for lower hose replacement I was able to get only 2 gal. I think the manual says capacity is 16 guarts. The block may hold that much additionally. I inherited the project and the build was previously done. The engine starts quickly and runs well. I certainly don't want to replace water pump unless it is absolutely necesssry. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:13 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

C1 water pump replacement is a PITA; many rebuilt pumps in the past had crap impellers or were Chinese knockoffs with the passages narrowed.

Check your bottom hose and make sure it isn't collapsing IIRC there should be a spring in there. Some fill the coolant system through the thermostat housing and let it burp to eliminate air. Make sure the fan clutch engages as designed (if you have one).

Since the project is an 'unknown' you may want to drain the block as well. If you have a vacuum advance make sure it is pulling as it should along with a timing check.

Make sure any rubber flaps around the radiator are installed and many stuff foam pipe insulation around the shroud to shore up the sloppy fit.. I have pics if you want some.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-25-2017 at 07:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jcchevy (04-25-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 62 cooling advice

Quick Reply: 62 cooling advice