C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 1964 Knock off reproductions

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 07:15 AM
Lreynolds
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1964 Knock off reproductions

Hello all,
My father recently purchased a saddle 64 fuelie. The car came with hubcaps, but he wants to get a set of KO's for it. I do not believe the car to be a survivor, but has been well restored. My questions are these:

If he plans on showing at an NCRS event, how would the reproduction wheels be judged? Deduction? Large or small?

If using original KO's are date codes verified for judging purposes?

I have already ordered the NCRS technical information manual and judging guide for him, but thought i'd ask here while waiting for it to ship and maybe get some clarification. Thank you in advance for any help/info!
Old 05-02-2017, 07:38 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

The repro KO's available now, are pretty good, but most judges can still recognize them as a repro. If a judge picks up that they are repro's, there may be a small originality deduction per wheel.

Wheel dates are only checked on the spare. I'm pretty sure all 64 KO's had an ink stamp date code, not a cast one.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:22 PM
Lreynolds
Advanced

I would fully expect a judge to know they aren't originals, I am more asking about the size of deduction to try to gauge what would make the most sense in an event. KO's look so much better than the hub caps, in my opinion, and would look great on his car. But if it could mean the difference of not getting a top flight award from the start then it may not make sense. Like i said i'm not knowledgeable on the judging requirements and scoring yet.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:44 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Even a full deduction for the wheels, wouldn't be enough to keep a car from receiving a Top Flight.

I don't have a 64 judging manual, but in some of the later manuals there are 3 points assigned to each wheel, and 3 for each wheel's trim ring-center cap-wheel cover, for a total of 24 originality points. There are also 21 condition points assigned to the wheels, so the total deduction possible for wheels and wheel covers is only 45 points, out of a total 4500 points available in judging.

The points assigned for wheels in the 64 manual, might be a little higher, I'm not sure since I don't usually judge mid-years. Even if it's 10 points per wheel (5 for each wheel and 5 for the wheel cover, cone, spinner, etc), a good repro should get at least half credit per wheel, which shouldn't keep any car from receiving a Top Flight.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:51 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 275 Posts

Is your car in that great of shape or original that KO's would keep it from getting top award. I would not stop putting KO's on a car just because of what the judges may or may not do. I can remember as a teenager when the wheels first came out. I thought, and still do, that that is the coolest wheel ever made.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:27 PM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,008 Likes on 573 Posts

The obvious answer is get it juged with the steelies and hubcaps on and right after do whatever you want.
The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (05-05-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 02:17 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 572 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Lreynolds,

Just sent you an email.

John F
Old 05-04-2017, 03:10 PM
Lreynolds
Advanced

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
Is your car in that great of shape or original that KO's would keep it from getting top award. I would not stop putting KO's on a car just because of what the judges may or may not do. I can remember as a teenager when the wheels first came out. I thought, and still do, that that is the coolest wheel ever made.
Well, i am a bit biased, but the care is exceptionally clean and correct, down to the correct hoses and clamps. personally, i want him get get a set of real KO's and not repros, but it's easy for me to spend his money... and i agree the wheels would just set the car off right!
Old 05-04-2017, 03:12 PM
Lreynolds
Advanced

Originally Posted by phil2302
The obvious answer is get it juged with the steelies and hubcaps on and right after do whatever you want.
Which is most likely what will happen, but i just wanted to see what the difference would be.

Get notified of new replies

To 1964 Knock off reproductions

Quick Reply: [C2] 1964 Knock off reproductions