C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 washer pump voltage check

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 06:10 PM
rduplessis
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 67 washer pump voltage check

My wipers work fine but I decided to fix the washers. I can't hear the bellows work so my question is; Where do I check voltage at the pump (what color wire) to see if the switch is sending the signal?

Thanks much,

rd
Old 05-04-2017, 02:33 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

The brown wire is hot, and the blue wire grounds the pump at the switch.
Since I don't know how familiar you are with these motors, I will add that the wiper motor must be running in order for the pump to work.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:57 PM
rduplessis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by buns
The brown wire is hot, and the blue wire grounds the pump at the switch.
Since I don't know how familiar you are with these motors, I will add that the wiper motor must be running in order for the pump to work.
Let me see if I've got this right. With the wipers running, and the connector pulled from the pump, brown will be hot and the blue wire will have no continuity to ground until the switch is pressed? When I replace the connector on the pump and run a jumper from a ground to the blue wire, the pump should work and means the switch is bad. (It is not grounding the blue wire) Right? I'm sure the switch is original and 50 years old, but is this common?

Thanks so much,

rd
Old 05-04-2017, 10:08 PM
buns
Safety Car

Actually, the motor does not have to be running to test the pump switch, only when you want to pump fluid.
Another test would be to remove the connector from the switch, take a test light and put the probe to the positive battery terminal, and put the negative alligator clip on the blue wire at the connector. Turn on the ignition switch and press the button. If the lamp lights up your switch is good.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:11 PM
buns
Safety Car

Tried to edit but failed. The switch I was referring to was the one on the motor, not the one in the dash.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:57 AM
rduplessis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by buns
Actually, the motor does not have to be running to test the pump switch, only when you want to pump fluid.
Another test would be to remove the connector from the switch, take a test light and put the probe to the positive battery terminal, and put the negative alligator clip on the blue wire at the connector. Turn on the ignition switch and press the button. If the lamp lights up your switch is good.
That's perfect - what an easy check!

Thanks much,

rd

Get notified of new replies

To 67 washer pump voltage check

Quick Reply: 67 washer pump voltage check