C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone have recent luck on body/glass seal products?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 01:23 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Default Anyone have recent luck on body/glass seal products?

I've asked this question before so forgive me, but we are trying it again.

My '63 is getting a new windshield and I'm looking at replacing the rear glass sections as well. The rear leaks like a sieve and I've purchased several seals from different companies, many of which did not fit properly at all.

Has anyone had any recent success in purchases and use of a midyear windshield seal and also '63 rear glass section seals?
Old 05-06-2017, 05:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
I've asked this question before so forgive me, but we are trying it again.

My '63 is getting a new windshield and I'm looking at replacing the rear glass sections as well. The rear leaks like a sieve and I've purchased several seals from different companies, many of which did not fit properly at all.

Has anyone had any recent success in purchases and use of a midyear windshield seal and also '63 rear glass section seals?
YES. I did both... front and rear seals for a 1963 coupe.
CRL 7708 is one that I use in the area where the weatherstrip seals to the body
http://www.crlaurence.com/DataSheets...ta/crl7708.pdf

I also use CRL 1716. I use this to seal the weatherstrip to the GLASS all the way around.
http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/sh...&ModelID=19965

I will write this..I WOULD NOT use the 3M 'bedding and glazing compound'...due to it actually dries out and draws up. It does not harden...but it DOES NOT stay as liquid as when you install it. DO NOT ask me how I know this years later when the windshield is leaking like crazy.

This can be a SUPER NASTY job...but it is worth it so the windshield and weatherstrips do not leak.

DUB

Quick Reply: Anyone have recent luck on body/glass seal products?