C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 1967 Coupe rear lower window channel

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 04:40 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
That's what I would do too. Keep those rear channels and maybe sell 'em on here; somebody might want originals...
Frankie, Getting back to this . I just received the new "64-67 Coupe Door Glass rear and upper channels" with the lower felt liner attached. Aren't the lower felts inserted into the channels in my earlier photos? That is what it APPEARS I should be doing or am I messed up again? Thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2017, 05:18 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I'm going to let some others respond Mike Coletta or perhaps Nowhere Man.

Apparently, I can't base my comments of the different approaches used on the later midyears off of my limited 1963 coupe's methods...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-22-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:25 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

What you have is correct. You need to install those into the "steel" channel that you have. there are a couple of "push in retainers" that will line up with the holes in the rear lower channel.(I see them in your picture). No glue is used. Most of the time you have to play with those "ball like retainers" to get them to snap in, and hold. I usually install them into the back channel first, and then slide the whole assembly up through the window slot, and install the top. Not a pleasant job.

Mike Coletta

Last edited by mike coletta; 05-22-2017 at 05:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TWINRAY (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 06:43 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mike coletta
What you have is correct. You need to install those into the "steel" channel that you have. there are a couple of "push in retainers" that will line up with the holes in the rear lower channel.(I see them in your picture). No glue is used. Most of the time you have to play with those "ball like retainers" to get them to snap in, and hold. I usually install them into the back channel first, and then slide the whole assembly up through the window slot, and install the top. Not a pleasant job.

Mike Coletta
Thanks Mike, good info . That would be my other question, assemble then install. I'll be glad when the're in.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:06 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I'm going to let some others respond Mike Coletta or perhaps Nowhere Man.

Apparently, I can't base my comments of the different approaches used on the later midyears off of my limited 1963 coupe's methods...
Thanks Frankie, all is good.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:03 PM
milano maroon
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

TWINRAY could you report your experience installing these after you finish? Just removed my glass and tracks this afternoon and will be doing this in the future.

Who did you order your tracks from?
Old 06-03-2017, 05:31 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by milano maroon
TWINRAY could you report your experience installing these after you finish? Just removed my glass and tracks this afternoon and will be doing this in the future.

Who did you order your tracks from?
Ordered from Zip but with a Corvette Central label underneath. They are fairly delicate on the spot the channel ends and turns to just felt. Foe some reason the screw hole where it is screwed into the bottom of the channel was off 1/4" on one side (the other side lined up) so I had to drill into the felt and make another hole. The push pins are predetermined where they do into the 2 holes in the channel and into the coupe door. I squeezed all the push pins in a bit with a pliers, I didn't want trouble getting them in. I attached the felt to the metal liner and dropped it into the door. Knowing where the push pins were, I had a 5/16" small square of plywood, centered over the push pins in the felt channel and gave it an easy smack with a hammer. I'd say it would be very difficult to push them in by hand, I couldn't.

Oh and I put a dab of grease where the push pin went into each hole.

Last edited by TWINRAY; 06-03-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:37 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 736 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by TWINRAY
Ordered from Zip but with a Corvette Central label underneath. They are fairly delicate on the spot the channel ends and turns to just felt. Foe some reason the screw hole where it is screwed into the bottom of the channel was off 1/4" on one side (the other side lined up) so I had to drill into the felt and make another hole. The push pins are predetermined where they do into the 2 holes in the channel and into the coupe door. I squeezed all the push pins in a bit with a pliers, I didn't want trouble getting them in. I attached the felt to the metal liner and dropped it into the door. Knowing where the push pins were, I had a 5/16" small square of plywood, centered over the push pins in the felt channel and gave it an easy smack with a hammer. I'd say it would be very difficult to push them in by hand, I couldn't.

Oh and I put a dab of grease where the push pin went into each hole.

TWINRAY

There might be some useful info in the attached PDF. This was one of the first "big" jobs we tackled with our 65. A true "learning experience". One thing you might find useful is to grind out the top of the lower rear window channel so that once you have the upper channel in place (bubble clips installed in door channel), you can tuck the lower channel in behind the fuzzy part and slide it up over that lower "bubble" clip. See page 12.

Hope this helps.
Dave Z
Attached Images
The following users liked this post:
TWINRAY (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 10:36 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DZVette
TWINRAY

There might be some useful info in the attached PDF. This was one of the first "big" jobs we tackled with our 65. A true "learning experience". One thing you might find useful is to grind out the top of the lower rear window channel so that once you have the upper channel in place (bubble clips installed in door channel), you can tuck the lower channel in behind the fuzzy part and slide it up over that lower "bubble" clip. See page 12.

Hope this helps.
Dave Z
Thanks, that article was INVALUABLE (? meaning good ) when I took the glass out, probably couldn't have taken it out without it.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:30 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 736 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by TWINRAY
Thanks, that article was INVALUABLE (? meaning good ) when I took the glass out, probably couldn't have taken it out without it.
Happy to hear that it was of use to you Fred!
Thanks.
DZ

Quick Reply: [C2] 1967 Coupe rear lower window channel