C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Parts Prices, where are they going ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 08:42 AM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
I will respond to this as I believe one of the examples the OP pointed out is mine.
"passenger car 283s over 2k." The engine I have for sale is currently running in my 57 Corvette and is a 57 passenger car 4 barrel with PG.

I priced this engine in accordance to what I am encountering currently with my engine build. I needed an older 327 with draft tube for my new 383 engine build I paid 600 for a bare block including shipping and it is NOT anything special as in a "corvette block.". If I were o build this engine to just stock specs having to buy heads, springs, cam, crank, rods, pistons, bolts, gaskets, intake, carb, etc, etc. It would be WELL over $3000. The engine I have for sale has value to either a 57 Chevy owner or a 57 Corvette owner that needs one for numbers matching or number close for show and judging. Most of those cars see few miles and this would be a perfect good running non-smoking engine for that person. It usually just takes a while to find that buyer.
One aspect to take notice of is your engine is a used take out. There is no certified document of condition, parts, warranty, or professional assembler . A 283 is not the choice, crown jewel, or highly sought after power plant bolted between modern frame rails. A non smoking engine tells me little about the internal condition. 283s, 305s, 307s, used values range from a couple hundred to less than a thousand.
Bottom line, one can ask any value in the sky. Finding the person willing to part with dollar amount is the task. Often used phrase, " it came out of a Corvette " will be used to add sparkle to the description. Power plants in many GM affiliates should be attached with wing nuts as fast as they are removed and replaced.
Nothing personal, just my view of what I believed was a hobby turned into an investment club. Sitting on seven examples at yesterdays prices it not a huge concern. Its like watching stock prices double and triple. I read and wonder how deep some are buried in a partial build only to sell as a project to recoup some of their income. It is America and choice is the law of the land. An ad with seven " to the top" indicators is not the exception but lately the rule. Good luck to all the leading price indicators. I'm still debating on the $250. wing nut......... NOT !!!
For those of you on the edge of your seat,... relax. Repeat after me, its only a car, its only a car.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:37 AM
BR69
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I believe you found the key word, "Relax" and that's great.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:27 PM
Sullyvette
Pro

Received 241 Likes on 96 Posts

I was wondering if anyone else had an opinion on shipping costs. Those small parts, which cost a few dollars are annoying me. I've learned to "Bundle" my purchases. Sometimes the part weighs a mere oz. or two. And the shipping cost is 16$ Does any vender have real "free" shipping. I would think the Forum members would better support those who ship for free. My 2 cents. Thx, Chuck
Old 05-17-2017, 12:35 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

A dear friend of mine, and a long time member of the Corvette community, went to work for one of the major Corvette aftermarket suppliers many years ago as their "resident original Corvette expert".

He tole me that this company made a good bit of their profit on shipping charges.

I can believe that...I ordered a label for a 1973 Corvette A/C compressor, and the shipping charges were $5 (on a $3 part). The label was stuck in an envelope and mailed to me (cost was less than a dollar).

I complained and got $3 back on shipping.

The operative phrase is "shipping and handling".

Buyer beware.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:02 PM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by jrs 427
One aspect to take notice of is your engine is a used take out. There is no certified document of condition, parts, warranty, or professional assembler . A 283 is not the choice, crown jewel, or highly sought after power plant bolted between modern frame rails. A non smoking engine tells me little about the internal condition. 283s, 305s, 307s, used values range from a couple hundred to less than a thousand.
Bottom line, one can ask any value in the sky. Finding the person willing to part with dollar amount is the task. Often used phrase, " it came out of a Corvette " will be used to add sparkle to the description. Power plants in many GM affiliates should be attached with wing nuts as fast as they are removed and replaced.
Nothing personal, just my view of what I believed was a hobby turned into an investment club. Sitting on seven examples at yesterdays prices it not a huge concern. Its like watching stock prices double and triple. I read and wonder how deep some are buried in a partial build only to sell as a project to recoup some of their income. It is America and choice is the law of the land. An ad with seven " to the top" indicators is not the exception but lately the rule. Good luck to all the leading price indicators. I'm still debating on the $250. wing nut......... NOT !!!
For those of you on the edge of your seat,... relax. Repeat after me, its only a car, its only a car.
Where does this $250 wing nut go ???
I may have one for sale for $200 !
Old 05-28-2017, 08:37 PM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 288 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by solidaxel
Where does this $250 wing nut go ???
I may have one for sale for $200 !
Where are all these $250.00 wing nuts some speak of? Just because 1 person allegedly paid this sum does not mean that's what they sell for.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:12 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

To JR 427
If you are just looking for ANY OLD 283 then you are exactly right. OTOH, the 283s that do have special value are the 1957-1961s that restorers are looking for. Mine will sell when the guy that NEEDS that particular date comes along. The fact that it is a non-smoking good running engine is all that will be important to that buyer because it will likely end up in a car going on and off of a trailer for judging and shows OR they want a numbers engine for resale. Who else wants a numbers matching car? If they want to drive the car anymore than that they would do like I am doing and build a $5000.+ engine with more cubes and power. Think of how many people out there HAVE a numbers matching engine sitting on a stand with a driver engine in the car.
This my friend is why my engine is worth what it is worth and I don't care if it takes a year or more for the buyer that needs it comes along.
For the record, I just spent $600. for a bare block pre 68 327 just so I could have a draft tube. So I guess you can call me a WINGNUT for paying that price. I had people contact me with other blocks that wanted twice that because they feel that the early 327s have value for the same reason I think my 283 has value.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:57 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 68hemi
To JR 427
If you are just looking for ANY OLD 283 then you are exactly right. OTOH, the 283s that do have special value are the 1957-1961s that restorers are looking for. Mine will sell when the guy that NEEDS that particular date comes along. The fact that it is a non-smoking good running engine is all that will be important to that buyer because it will likely end up in a car going on and off of a trailer for judging and shows OR they want a numbers engine for resale. Who else wants a numbers matching car? If they want to drive the car anymore than that they would do like I am doing and build a $5000.+ engine with more cubes and power. Think of how many people out there HAVE a numbers matching engine sitting on a stand with a driver engine in the car.
This my friend is why my engine is worth what it is worth and I don't care if it takes a year or more for the buyer that needs it comes along.
For the record, I just spent $600. for a bare block pre 68 327 just so I could have a draft tube. So I guess you can call me a WINGNUT for paying that price. I had people contact me with other blocks that wanted twice that because they feel that the early 327s have value for the same reason I think my 283 has value.
Not much to be said about that
Old 05-29-2017, 12:28 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Fuelie Dave thinks they are worth a lot of money.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:23 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

This vey same discussion is taking place over on several of the Porsche forums.

I think it's part of the Amazon complex. We all want free shipping. Think Prime. And we want low prices to go with the free shipping.

BTW - selling one wing nut does not establish a market. Just sayn'

My own feeing is that it someone wants to pay $300 for a wing nut I could actually care less. It's a free market economy.

Richard Newton
Even Low Tech is Expensive

Last edited by rfn026; 05-29-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:30 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Randy G.
Fuelie Dave thinks they are worth a lot of money.
Fuelie Dave knows what he has and what things are worth, so does Vette Lady, so does Grossmuellers and so does David Sokolowski...

Corvette-Stop has quite high prices but they are very negotiable; especially if you buy multiple items.... Pristine original items command a premium, the rarer and nicer, the higher the cost, even rebuildable cores have creeped up. I used to find WCFB rebuildable core carbs for $75; hard to find 'em for less than $225 now if they are Corvette carbs...that's over about a 12 year span..

Bingo, checkers and binge watching "Game of Thrones" are cheap hobbies; owning classic Corvettes is not...

Shipping is shipping; and yes when gas spiked everybody justified a big bump in this cost and none of 'em have retreated from that high point.

Friends in the hobby are your best bet; especially if they're local. There are several in Florida with caches of parts they are slowly selling off. I got 61 grill eyebrows in the GM boxes for a ridiculous price 3 years ago from a pal, and a PS rear split window, original, date-coded glass, pristine from another buddy for $100.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-29-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:49 AM
JMills
Drifting

Received 783 Likes on 330 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Try buying a booster for a 1963!
The following users liked this post:
rfn026 (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 11:17 PM
scopeli
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Fuelie Dave knows what he has and what things are worth, so does Vette Lady, so does Grossmuellers and so does David Sokolowski...

Corvette-Stop has quite high prices but they are very negotiable; especially if you buy multiple items.... Pristine original items command a premium, the rarer and nicer, the higher the cost, even rebuildable cores have creeped up. I used to find WCFB rebuildable core carbs for $75; hard to find 'em for less than $225 now if they are Corvette carbs...that's over about a 12 year span..

Bingo, checkers and binge watching "Game of Thrones" are cheap hobbies; owning classic Corvettes is not...

Shipping is shipping; and yes when gas spiked everybody justified a big bump in this cost and none of 'em have retreated from that high point.

Friends in the hobby are your best bet; especially if they're local. There are several in Florida with caches of parts they are slowly selling off. I got 61 grill eyebrows in the GM boxes for a ridiculous price 3 years ago from a pal, and a PS rear split window, original, date-coded glass, pristine from another buddy for $100.
if you look at the ads in the "NCRS Driveline" you would not think certain people know what parts are worth! there are a couple fellows who try to list almost every part on a C1(usually one part in each ad) and rarely list a price.

Quick Reply: Parts Prices, where are they going ?