C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Parts Prices, where are they going ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 08:46 AM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Parts Prices, where are they going ?

Maybe its only me but parts prices seem to have vented through the roof. I have viewed 5k four speeds, passenger car 283s over 2k, vintage torque thrusts 2k a set, FI units 8k, to name a few. The same parts are listed several times with " 8 bumps " to the top.
Do some " investors " believe there is gold in their parts bins or is this the old " I'm testing the waters " routine ? Its hard to believe the old car hobby has come to represent itself as an investment portfolio mixing with blue chip stocks. Thanks to a large internet circulation of viewers there are instances of down to earth prices. Restomod builders ( not all, a few ) sell the excess pieces in hopes to finance a premium share of their build. If it were not for reproduction companies many would never complete their builds. Its to the point parts cars are worth more in pieces than a decent daily driver. It's probably my own view point. Times change. I am glad to have snagged some examples before the deep pockets moved into the hobby.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:07 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

They are only worth what someone is willing to pay and if they can't find a buyer at there price then that should answer your question. Something's that where rare back in the day are still rare today and will always command a high dollar.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:39 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I have a ton of parts that are worth almost nothing. We simply ca't use the term "parts". We have to be a little more specific. If you want a Duntov award from the NCRS you'll pay. Or, borrow.

Richard Newton
Car Tech Stuff
Old 05-15-2017, 09:56 AM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I believe the real prices that parts actually sell for has dropped significantly over the past 5 years, at least that has been my experience. Rare parts with very limited market may still bring stupid money, but if the supply is low and you gotta have it, you have to pay the price to get it. Fuel Injection, high horse big block, and optional wheels such as 67 bolt ons don't bring the money they used to.

Let's face it, cost of restoring these cars can exceed the value when done, so hence the reason you see the restomods being built out of some pretty nice original cars, and the restomods are bringing more money than original cars unless you have a very special and rare car.

I see the high prices being asked for parts as well, and they don't appear to be selling. Unfortunately, ebay auctions that actually sold are the only real price points in the public domain on parts, as other sales transact at unknown final prices.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:34 AM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Some Ebay prices are stupid crazy along with some shipping costs. I find that the prices that are posted here in the CF Parts for Sale section are generally fair.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:01 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by ricks327
Some Ebay prices are stupid crazy along with some shipping costs. I find that the prices that are posted here in the CF Parts for Sale section are generally fair.
I agree with the you on the shipping costs. This pertains even to retailers and internet purchases that are not on Ebay. I was going to order a part and I checked the shipping costs. It was double of what the part cost. Of course they were shipping through UPS or FedEx. I asked if they couldn't just stick in regular mail? Their answer wan "NO". They had a contract with the shipper and wouldn't go outside of it. Evidently these people on Ebay and the other sites are taking a cue from the UPS and FedEx rates and using them for their own purposes.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:59 PM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by 66BlkBB
I agree with the you on the shipping costs. This pertains even to retailers and internet purchases that are not on Ebay. I was going to order a part and I checked the shipping costs. It was double of what the part cost. Of course they were shipping through UPS or FedEx. I asked if they couldn't just stick in regular mail? Their answer wan "NO". They had a contract with the shipper and wouldn't go outside of it. Evidently these people on Ebay and the other sites are taking a cue from the UPS and FedEx rates and using them for their own purposes.

I don't buy anything from a retailer that doesn't include shipping in the price or free shipping, they receive deep discounts on shipping, that is why they call it shipping and handling, if you notice when they quote a low price they usually show very high S&H charges.

Individuals don't usually try to rip you off on the shipping, they charge the same as you would if you were shipping the item to them.

Bill
Old 05-15-2017, 01:48 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I will respond to this as I believe one of the examples the OP pointed out is mine.
"passenger car 283s over 2k." The engine I have for sale is currently running in my 57 Corvette and is a 57 passenger car 4 barrel with PG.

I priced this engine in accordance to what I am encountering currently with my engine build. I needed an older 327 with draft tube for my new 383 engine build I paid 600 for a bare block including shipping and it is NOT anything special as in a "corvette block.". If I were o build this engine to just stock specs having to buy heads, springs, cam, crank, rods, pistons, bolts, gaskets, intake, carb, etc, etc. It would be WELL over $3000. The engine I have for sale has value to either a 57 Chevy owner or a 57 Corvette owner that needs one for numbers matching or number close for show and judging. Most of those cars see few miles and this would be a perfect good running non-smoking engine for that person. It usually just takes a while to find that buyer.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:00 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

It all comes down to supply and demand, and whatever the public pay.

I read on here all the time about how repro's are all junk, and people claim they'll only buy used original parts, or NOS ones. Every day there are fewer and fewer of those original parts out there, so the price on them, has to go up.

A friend of mine just sold a complete set of 63 rear window moldings, inside and out, for over $10,000! The outside ones were restored, and he found the last 2 pieces to complete the inside set at Spring Carlisle. When he told me he'd sold them, I asked if he got $10K for the set. All he would say was "more"!

As far as shipping costs, both UPS and FedEx changed the way the charge, on January 1, 2016. Since then they've charged by either actual weight, or dimensional weight (length x width x height), which ever is more. This has increased the cost of shipping significantly. An antenna mast, that use to cost me $10 to ship by UPS, now costs $18, because of the length of the box needed!

The big companies all add a $5-$10 "handling fee" to each order, which doesn't help either. They justify it by claiming it's to cover the cost of someone packing the order, and the material to pack it. I don't know why this isn't figured into the price of the parts, like the cost of sales, accounting, purchasing, IT, etc, but supposedly it isn't.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:21 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
It all comes down to supply and demand, and whatever the public pay.

I read on here all the time about how repro's are all junk, and people claim they'll only buy used original parts, or NOS ones. Every day there are fewer and fewer of those original parts out there, so the price on them, has to go up.
I agree and that is way many posters on the CF Parts For Sale Section will bump or ttt (to the top) their listing. Not everyone is checking daily for a part they may be looking for.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:45 AM
BR69
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=jrs 427;1594740790]Maybe its only me but parts prices seem to have vented through the roof.

Original and NOS parts have and will always command a premium hence they are not for everyone.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:37 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

[QUOTE=BR69;1594747256]
Originally Posted by jrs 427
Maybe its only me but parts prices seem to have vented through the roof.

Original and NOS parts have and will always command a premium hence they are not for everyone.
You lost me, ........ I understand the new part kept for fifty years ( or maybe less found in a supply house later ) but what is the " they are not for everyone " suggestion ? Does one have to be of certain status to look for GM parts or is this a special click ? Keep your car all GM was a company saying to get one to buy their manufactured parts. It just so happens many of us would sooner have factory fit pieces. Wanting or needing GM parts has nothing to do with the fact prices have increased at an alarming rate. The text book answer is original is old, repo is new. Some are not available after market. There is no choice in this matter.
Its sad a couple decades past one could buy two 63 coupes for the price of a set of rear exterior stainless window trim today. For the hobbist it eliminates many. For the investment crowd its business as usual.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:21 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

going up, you gotta pay to play
Old 05-16-2017, 11:47 PM
BR69
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=jrs 427;1594754349]
Originally Posted by BR69

You lost me, ........ I understand the new part kept for fifty years ( or maybe less found in a supply house later ) but what is the " they are not for everyone " suggestion ? Does one have to be of certain status to look for GM parts or is this a special click ? Keep your car all GM was a company saying to get one to buy their manufactured parts. It just so happens many of us would sooner have factory fit pieces. Wanting or needing GM parts has nothing to do with the fact prices have increased at an alarming rate. The text book answer is original is old, repo is new. Some are not available after market. There is no choice in this matter.
Its sad a couple decades past one could buy two 63 coupes for the price of a set of rear exterior stainless window trim today. For the hobbist it eliminates many. For the investment crowd its business as usual.
What I'm trying to point out is that Reproduction parts are more affordable and available compared to Original and NOS. There is no special click. But realize, this is not an inexpensive hobby to be involved in.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:00 AM
Brian Kotula
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jrs 427
Maybe its only me but parts prices seem to have vented through the roof. I have viewed 5k four speeds, passenger car 283s over 2k, vintage torque thrusts 2k a set, FI units 8k, to name a few. The same parts are listed several times with " 8 bumps " to the top.
Do some " investors " believe there is gold in their parts bins or is this the old " I'm testing the waters " routine ? Its hard to believe the old car hobby has come to represent itself as an investment portfolio mixing with blue chip stocks. Thanks to a large internet circulation of viewers there are instances of down to earth prices. Restomod builders ( not all, a few ) sell the excess pieces in hopes to finance a premium share of their build. If it were not for reproduction companies many would never complete their builds. Its to the point parts cars are worth more in pieces than a decent daily driver. It's probably my own view point. Times change. I am glad to have snagged some examples before the deep pockets moved into the hobby.
If you think original or NOS parts prices are high for old Vette's, get some quotes on OEM part prices for your current ride. Try 1000.00 for Lincoln or Cadillac headlights or a Ford F150 mirror for 900.00 or how about bumper covers costing 700.00 plus a 150.00 core charge! Those prices always makes me feel like I'm getting a bargain for hard to find NOS items.

Last edited by Brian Kotula; 05-17-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:05 AM
Brian Kotula
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 66BlkBB
Remember eBay takes 10% of the shipping fee's people charge and Paypal another 1% to 3% so on eBay almost 13% of the shipping fee is profit for eBay and company!
Old 05-17-2017, 04:11 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

It is all about supply and demand.

There ARE more original parts available as some really nice "stock" cars are modified into resto-mods. That seems to be the current trend.

It is pretty consistent theme for various car types as they, and the people that collect them, get older.

I recall how "hot" the Ford Model T and Model A market was many years ago. These days both of these cars are pretty cheap (relatively speaking). I also see the same thing happening in the Chevy Tri-Five market.

Get notified of new replies

To Parts Prices, where are they going ?

Old 05-17-2017, 06:46 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Brian Kotula
If you think original or NOS parts prices are high for old Vette's, get some quotes on OEM part prices for your current ride. Try 1000.00 for Lincoln or Cadillac headlights or a Ford F150 mirror for 900.00 or how about bumper covers costing 700.00 plus a 150.00 core charge! Those prices always makes me feel like I'm getting a bargain for hard to find NOS items.
2010 Autozone Duralast Volvo alternator $506. You don't want to know the dealer price. A restored 1963 correct one-year-only "628" alternator $325.

Then for a few dollars a person will deliver the classic part to your doorstep packaged up like a Christmas present. Remember driving 20 miles to the junk yard all hot and sweaty and removing parts that may or may not be good and driving home again?

Classic corvette owners are are the biggest whiners on the planet. It bothers the snot out of them that somebody might make a dollar off an old part or providing a convenient service.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-17-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:37 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

One of the reasons I bought a C2 Corvette instead of some other possibilities is because of the large, available, and relatively cheap parts supply as compared to many other cars.

Certainly while a properly date-coded and complete FI system for an early Vette is a pricey piece, the day to day stuff is not. And I'm not some Daddy Long Dollars - I'm redoing mine on a budget.

If I could get a date-coded starter or alternator for $50 that would be great but may not be realistic, but I did get a perfectly workable starter for my '65 from my FLAPS for just under $45 plus tax, and you can't beat that (plus it only took me 30 minutes to change it out). Compare that to my wife's ex-BMW which ate a starter at 60K to the tune of $800 at an indy shop.

No, I'm pretty content with Corvette parts prices.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:18 AM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

Part prices being what they are is just a fact of life. I have little use for reproduction parts because of the lack of quality and I don't believe I've ever had one fit like an original or GM produced part. Authorized GM reproduction part is nothing but BS as far as quality is concerned.

I also refuse to buy from a company that charges for shipping based on the price of the item rather that the weight and size, so I guess that leaves most of the major suppliers off my list. I ordered one fairly high priced item and S&H was like $23.00 and the part came to me in a USPO priority flat rate envelope that cost about $7.00, get me once shame on you, get me twice shame on me.

I've tried to buy some small odds and ends from a well respected company here on the forum but the total cost shoved it to an unacceptable S&H amount, when the whole order could have been sent in a small flat rate box for under $8.00.

Bill

Quick Reply: Parts Prices, where are they going ?