C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Any tips for purchasing a C1 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 04:39 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Your price range:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/6096444752.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/6128125283.html
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/6124807163.html
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...133064513.html
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...130167786.html
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...097170029.html
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...094110266.html
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...094111391.html

choices,choices...
Old 05-16-2017, 06:20 PM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

1) Be sure to drive several C-1s before making a decision - everyone is not a good fit with these cars.
2) Do not be in a rush to buy. There are many good cars out there if you take your time to compare and contrast your choices.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:37 PM
128racecar
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 51 Posts

Ideally you would look at and sit in as many cars as possible, and talk to as many people as possible, to learn what you are really looking for. One idea- make the $1000 investment in a plane ticket, hotel, and admission to Bloomington Gold in Indianapolis in June. I learned more about my car in 3 days looking at other cars and talking to C1 owners than I had in 28 years of ownership. A great way to really find out what a C1 is all about before you buy.

Happy hunting!
Marc in Indy
Old 05-16-2017, 06:52 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

You have a lot of good info in this thread and should pay attention to all of it.

Some more things to consider for a C-1 purchase.
I am 5'11" which is not tall by today's standards but was big for a 25 year old buyer when a 57 was new. A 57-62 is difficult to get into because the door opening is not very wide and the original large 17" steering wheel is hard to get you leg under upon entry. I put the repo 15" wheel on which helped a lot. However with the top up or hardtop on it is very difficult to get in as you have to duck your head under while trying to get you leg under the wheel. The wheel is also too close to the driver of any size. It was common back in the day for the race cars to have shortened steering columns to give the driver the ability to "wheel" the car better. In fact I am going to shorten my column when I have the engine switch done in mine.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:02 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 68hemi
You have a lot of good info in this thread and should pay attention to all of it.

I am 5'11" which is not tall by today's standards but was big for a 25 year old buyer when a 57 was new. A 57-62 is difficult to get into because the door opening is not very wide and the original large 17" steering wheel is hard to get you leg under upon entry. I put the repo 15" wheel on which helped a lot. However with the top up or hardtop on it is very difficult to get in as you have to duck your head under while trying to get you leg under the wheel. The wheel is also too close to the driver of any size. It was common back in the day for the race cars to have shortened steering columns to give the driver the ability to "wheel" the car better. In fact I am going to shorten my column when I have the engine switch done in mine.
61/62 has more leg room and longer length. I have found that many people do not have near as a problem with it as some of the other years. You still have to do the sit down first and swing your legs in. I teach everyone who has not driven in one how to properly get into a C1.

Last edited by jimh_1962; 05-16-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:23 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Two pieces of advice:

1. Buy the nicest car that you car afford. These cars are NOT cheap when needing original parts.

2. If you are not well versed in early Corvettes, FIND SOMEONE who is to take with you to examine these old cars.

Many of us have been banging around the Corvette hobby for decades, and we sort of "know" what to look for with early Corvettes.

Good luck on your search.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:24 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I suggest locating and purchasing a 1958-1962 steering column instead of shortening an original 56 column. The 58-62 column is about 3 1/2 inches shorter, bolts right in.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:56 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by jv04
I suggest locating and purchasing a 1958-1962 steering column instead of shortening an original 56 column. The 58-62 column is about 3 1/2 inches shorter, bolts right in.
I am aware. I have been talking to Joe at rarecorvettes@gmail.com that does a lot of rebuilding of them. There really is no difference in the entire steering box set up in the 56-58 except for the length of the mast and the steering shaft. It is as simple as ordering the 58 rebuild kit from Corvette Central with the shorter shaft and then cutting the mast to fit.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:15 PM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Kevin90
Hey all,

New to the forum. My name is Kevin and I'm 27 years old. I've helped my dad restore two older cars and I feel its time for me to get one. I'm thinking about purchasing a C1 Corvette.

I live in California and I'm in my career job field without being tied down. I don't have any debts at the moment and my dad has offered a spot in his shop to park a classic car for me to buy.

I'm a little discouraged when I go to car shows and I don't see anyone my age into classic cars. But, I've grown up loving cars with my dad and I can't see myself without a Corvette.

Does anyone have any advice for someone my age that would help me be able to afford one of these?

Thanks for your time,
Kevin
Don't let that age-thingy get in the way.... you know Kendall Jenner, age 21, has a 56 Corvette, right? Google her episode on Jay Leno's Garage, when she takes him for a ride in it.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:14 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I am aware. I have been talking to Joe at rarecorvettes@gmail.com that does a lot of rebuilding of them. There really is no difference in the entire steering box set up in the 56-58 except for the length of the mast and the steering shaft. It is as simple as ordering the 58 rebuild kit from Corvette Central with the shorter shaft and then cutting the mast to fit.
It is easy to cut an original 53-57 column to "fit". It is not so easy to un-cut it once that is done.

And 58-62 columns are not very expensive.

I am only suggesting that you consider "not" modifying an original part, that may be hard to come by later.

Your car, your choice. Enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
Todd H. (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 08:33 AM
Kevin90
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Kevin,
You didn't post your current cash nor budget. Saying what you "wish" you had is like dreaming. It is not a starting point. Do you have $5K,
$20K or $40K cash to start out with? You may be able to finance a completed classic car but I doubt if any banks would loan a significant percentage on any type of project car.

At least you do have a target though and a "Driver" '57 is likely going to be in the $40s and you would probably need to have about 50% of that in cash up front. You might be able to find a "project" car in pieces in need of a LOT of attention for $20K as well so in a rough manner of measurement, you will need about $20K cash right up front for the car you are seeking.

Here is a project '57 car that needs a LOT of work. You might want to watch this eBay listing to better understand current market prices. It is currently @ $17K and has not yet met reserve.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Chevrol...3D201920479467
My current amount of cash is around 7k. But I don't think I would feel right trying to buy a car right now to be honest with you. I want to be under 50k for the loan on the car.

It does sound like paying the extra money for a nice complete car is worth it in the long run, which I will be aiming for.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:36 AM
Kevin90
Advanced

Originally Posted by 61 Roadster
Hi Kevin,
There are some of us who are younger than our C1's....

For what it's worth, you'll love the friendly waves and questions that a C1 generates wherever you go.

Off the top of my head, I guess a rough "fixer upper" non original motor (NOM) C1 will run you in the high 30's. If you want a decent driver, maybe mid 40's or better. Past that, the more perfect the car (numbers matching, nice paint), the closer to 70K you will get. Add rare options (fuelie, etc.) and you can easily pass go for 100 depending on the year and pedigree.

I hope this is helpful. Let us know specifically what you are interested in.

Good Luck!

edit: Looks like you already posted!
Super helpful post! Thanks. I'm now noticing this pricing structure. I think that it will be worth having more cash up front and being ready to jump on a corvette that's priced right ~60k range for a good deal.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:40 AM
Kevin90
Advanced

Originally Posted by jv04
Two pieces of advice:

1. Buy the nicest car that you car afford. These cars are NOT cheap when needing original parts.

2. If you are not well versed in early Corvettes, FIND SOMEONE who is to take with you to examine these old cars.

Many of us have been banging around the Corvette hobby for decades, and we sort of "know" what to look for with early Corvettes.

Good luck on your search.
I have my dad who is very thorough and know's the 57' Belairs very well. He grew up in the era, but he never had or drove one before. I've never even driven one of these things either (I'm not sure how one would even be able to test drive one).

Any tips on finding someone? Is this the type of thing that you simply just ask for help or is this something that you pay someone to help you with?
Old 05-17-2017, 04:38 PM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

If you want to find someone who will let you test drive their solid axle Corvette (a really good idea) start a thread asking for someone in your area who would let you try one out. The Solid Axle Corvette Club (SACC) and the National Corvette Restorers Society (NCRS) are good clubs to join, and you might find a car to test drive through one of those clubs.

If you want someone to go and look at a car for you, you'll probably have to pay them. Amounts vary, and you'll need to try to be sure the person knows what they're talking about. Unfortunately there are some real dogs for sale, and 50K or so is a lot of money to make a mistake with.

If you just want suggestions on cars to consider, ask the guys here. Revfan's "opinions on these C1s and C2s for sale" thread is a great resource, but you might not see any recent '57s or '56s there. I never understand why people that want a '57 are sometimes unwilling to consider a '56. It's the same car (little performance difference between a 265 and a 283), and '56s are more rare and just as deserving of credit as an important model year in the Corvette's history. There's a great (and affordable) '56 on eBay right now (red/red #3184 in Florida). I think the '57s for sale on the CF are some of the best bargains in the country right now.

I've had 5 '57s, and 2 '56s. I've never been bothered by the longer column and stock steering wheel. But I'm not a huge guy at 6'2" and 190 or so. You might not mind it, or you might. Drive one if possible. If you have questions, ask here. There are A LOT of knowledgeable people here, and we need to get you young guys into an old Corvette.

Last edited by Todd H.; 05-17-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:08 AM
wraplock
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I am probably around your dad's age (or older) and have 4 grown children all older than you. If one of them came to me with this question I would tell them that although I have 3 classic cars, a Harley and a boat, as well as a gun and guitar collection I have NEVER financed a toy.

If you go into this know that a large loan for a luxury item such as this could come back to bite you in the rear if suddenly your life changes. You may meet a women or simply want to purchase a home (a better investment, I've made over $600K profit by buying and selling real estate). Generally speaking I buy these items because I want them and not because I think they will appreciate in value. Any classic cars value fluctuates just like the stock market only the recover in classic cars is a lot slower. You could end up having to sell the car and lose money on it in a down turn and walk away owing the bank the difference. After all... it has been said HERE many times "it's only worth what someone is willing to pay you for it".

So advice from this old man is to save your money, pay cash for the best car you can afford and work on it.

Good luck and I hope you find the car of your dreams, I did!
The following users liked this post:
Frankie the Fink (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 10:19 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Kevin,
Good luck in your search and keep saving your car money. I know this is out of your range but I have a friend that is in his mid 70's and considering selling his 57 4 spd., fuelie, red, flawless car but is considering 100K. Another friend of mine has owned at least 50 classic Corvette's and his advice is to buy the best Corvette you can afford. His comment, many times over the years, is the worst call you can get from your restorer is, "We have a problem". That is why he only buys restored cars not needing restoration.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:18 PM
Reeseb
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by wraplock
I am probably around your dad's age (or older) and have 4 grown children all older than you. If one of them came to me with this question I would tell them that although I have 3 classic cars, a Harley and a boat, as well as a gun and guitar collection I have NEVER financed a toy.

If you go into this know that a large loan for a luxury item such as this could come back to bite you in the rear if suddenly your life changes. You may meet a women or simply want to purchase a home (a better investment, I've made over $600K profit by buying and selling real estate). Generally speaking I buy these items because I want them and not because I think they will appreciate in value. Any classic cars value fluctuates just like the stock market only the recover in classic cars is a lot slower. You could end up having to sell the car and lose money on it in a down turn and walk away owing the bank the difference. After all... it has been said HERE many times "it's only worth what someone is willing to pay you for it".

So advice from this old man is to save your money, pay cash for the best car you can afford and work on it.

Good luck and I hope you find the car of your dreams, I did!
That is some very sound advice.

Quick Reply: Any tips for purchasing a C1 Corvette?