C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

pissing match with body man! paint or no paint!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 09:48 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

On my September '62 Corvette, the interior was painted (in a haphazard way) to match the carpeting. It appeared to be sprayed in particular in places where the carpet didn't completely cover the body panels.

My car has the red interior...

In the end, I chose to paint the interior with "red" Raptor bedliner. This was as much to cover some damaged areas we repaired as it was to add some durability and a bit of additional sound proofing.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 05-18-2017, 11:47 PM
C2 Hot Cam Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default your car

Originally Posted by 20round
well my body man has been getting kinda pissy about what should be painted and not on my 65 roadster.. here is the latest one, so i believe the inside floor, and underside does not get paint, just bare glass? he swears up and down that a low miles 63 coupe he did in the late 70s had painted floors and underside, and he was the first too touch the car for paint work? these debates have been going on with several other things on the car also. i think its just a distraction, to sit back and drink coffee on his part! so fill me in here guys who is right? thanks troy
I totally agree with PTJSK Get the car out of there it will only get worse the farther you go. He should make suggestions but do it the way you want. If you have to pay him something this guy does not make sense, easier now than after he screws it up
Old 05-19-2017, 12:43 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by 20round
I KNOW! RIGHT! well here is one problem i have. he is a old and dear family friend.. i am prodding him to understand the logic behind my thoughts..and time frame here..thank you
It's "reasons" like this that cause people to take beatings and they spend years wondering how they let that happen to them. Of course, you are expected to respect his status as an "old, dear familiy friend" but you dont get the same benefit of the doubt?

Do it this way... just turn that around. Tell him that you can see the 2 of you are unable to see eye to eye on this and because you care so much for your friendship, and that you want to respect and protect that, you will be taking the car out so's not to have anything happen to jeopardize your relationship.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:32 AM
20round
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
It's "reasons" like this that cause people to take beatings and they spend years wondering how they let that happen to them. Of course, you are expected to respect his status as an "old, dear familiy friend" but you dont get the same benefit of the doubt?

Do it this way... just turn that around. Tell him that you can see the 2 of you are unable to see eye to eye on this and because you care so much for your friendship, and that you want to respect and protect that, you will be taking the car out so's not to have anything happen to jeopardize your relationship.

great thoughts i like that...thank you..
Old 05-19-2017, 09:21 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Don't let the family friend screw up your car because you don't want to hurt his feelings. I was in business with my Dad and an uncle and it was one of the worst experiences of my life...
Old 05-19-2017, 09:30 AM
Dougs63
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

I have a real black on red Dec. '62 convt. with the seat depressions.

I was surprised when I pulled out the interior just how much red paint covered the floor - from the front floorboard all the way back past the storage compartments.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:28 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I referred my best friend (we've been friends since 2nd grade --we'll call him 'A') to another good friend (B) 's painter (who we'll call 'C' and who belonged to B's church. C was a great guy...super competent metal man. But a not so great a painter. Two years, three 600 mile trailer trips, a blown up borrowed truck used to tow the car (B's truck, me driving it, stuck in LA traffic), and the end result? A crappy paint job that didn't look right, a promised refund that was never paid, and a car, to this day (8 years later) is still in pieces because my best friend lost all his drive and motivation to continue. He's out $10,000 and the car needs re-doing. There are a whole lot of hard feelings about this 'lose-lose-lose-lose' situation. Avoid family/friend/favor type of deals at all costs. Hire a pro and then you can be the boss, and get the service you pay for. The other way is a losing deal, oftentimes with no recourse.
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 11:26 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Learned years ago that when a project starts to snowball south, there is no way to stop it.....Pull the car now, and start over with a new painter. You will never be happy, and have a whole lot of headaches if you do not.
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 08:35 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
On my September '62 Corvette, the interior was painted (in a haphazard way) to match the carpeting. It appeared to be sprayed in particular in places where the carpet didn't completely cover the body panels.

My car has the red interior...

In the end, I chose to paint the interior with "red" Raptor bedliner. This was as much to cover some damaged areas we repaired as it was to add some durability and a bit of additional sound proofing.

Good luck... GUSTO
Dang, that looks pretty good.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:05 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Another vote for going with a different painter. This one seems to forget whose name is on the title.

If you want to keep the friendship, a clean break may give you a 50-50 chance. If you continue with him doing the work, and he does not change his attitude, I'd say close to 100% chance of extremely hard feelings.

Maybe you could tell him it was easier to replace him as a painter than it would be as a friend and you don't want the project to ruin the years of friendship.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:58 AM
C2 Hot Cam Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default paint jobs

Originally Posted by GTOguy
I referred my best friend (we've been friends since 2nd grade --we'll call him 'A') to another good friend (B) 's painter (who we'll call 'C' and who belonged to B's church. C was a great guy...super competent metal man. But a not so great a painter. Two years, three 600 mile trailer trips, a blown up borrowed truck used to tow the car (B's truck, me driving it, stuck in LA traffic), and the end result? A crappy paint job that didn't look right, a promised refund that was never paid, and a car, to this day (8 years later) is still in pieces because my best friend lost all his drive and motivation to continue. He's out $10,000 and the car needs re-doing. There are a whole lot of hard feelings about this 'lose-lose-lose-lose' situation. Avoid family/friend/favor type of deals at all costs. Hire a pro and then you can be the boss, and get the service you pay for. The other way is a losing deal, oftentimes with no recourse.
Good advise

Quick Reply: pissing match with body man! paint or no paint!