C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Restomod question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 08:58 PM
Super99Z
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restomod question

I was curious what everyone does with the VIN on the stock frame when a custom chassis is used? I was planning on selling the frame to someone with a 61 with a rotted out frame. Should I grind my VIN off of it before I let it go? Also on the new chassis is there any point to marking it with the cars VIN? Thank you
Old 05-17-2017, 09:20 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,046 Likes on 576 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I use a plasma burner and burn through the numbers grinding is not enough.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:57 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Technically it is illegal to remove that V.I.N. it was put there for theft identification. However I would remove it and etch into the frame "V.I.N. used for restomod."
Old 05-18-2017, 09:05 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Why would you do anything ?

If you legitimately sell the frame and the buyer has full knowledge it has the original VIN on it, and he engages in some fraudulent act, the onus is on him...

I'd just have a Bill of Sale citing the facts, including the frame VIN number with both parties signing...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-18-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:24 AM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Some must be really paranoid. It should be left. It is identification of a major car part. Like above, have new owner sign a written statement and check his ID ( drivers license always works fine ) and your done. One of a thousand get checked by law enforcement. The new owner also has proof of purchase also. Problem ( if you view it as such ) is solved.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:23 AM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Agree with Frankie, the car isnt registered per the frame. All the state police do is verify that a non original frame vin is not registered as stolen in the database.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:44 PM
All-Tex
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Super99Z
I was curious what everyone does with the VIN on the stock frame when a custom chassis is used? I was planning on selling the frame to someone with a 61 with a rotted out frame. Should I grind my VIN off of it before I let it go? Also on the new chassis is there any point to marking it with the cars VIN? Thank you
I kept mine for now as the new one does not have a Vin unless you take it off steering column (1962).
Attached Images    
Old 05-19-2017, 06:33 AM
Super99Z
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Why would you do anything ?

If you legitimately sell the frame and the buyer has full knowledge it has the original VIN on it, and he engages in some fraudulent act, the onus is on him...

I'd just have a Bill of Sale citing the facts, including the frame VIN number with both parties signing...
Well you never know who could end up with it next. I would never tempt a dog with a piece of meat. Lots of shady people out there. The body tag is missing on my car so really the only thing I have is that VIN stamped on the frame.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:08 AM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

If your body tag is missing the state patrol should be able to issue you a replacement type tag.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:23 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

If you are worried about it, cut it off and weld it to the new frame or put it in a folder to go with the car when it is sold in the future.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:26 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

First, I wish to amend my post #3 as it should also say check with your MVD before you do what I suggest.

It sounds like the owner of the frame is planning on using the original V.I.N. plate on the Resto Mod selling the original frame.

The problem is that regardless of any document made between a seller and buyer means nothing legally. The LAW governs the correct thing to do about this type of thing. The problem comes when down the road someone may try to obtain a title for the original frame that was separated from the titled/V.I.N. plated body. The owner several times removed has no idea what took place with the original body. During investigation to obtain a title for the old frame by V.I.N. on the frame suddenly there appears an existing registered vehicle with the same V.I.N. SEE THE PROBLEM?

I spend a good share of my working life in new car auto sales selling over 5000 cars in my life and I have likely seen every title/V.I.N. problem there is.

Some of you may or may not be aware of a long running debate regarding the legality of using the original V.I.N. from one car to another.

Here is what Dynacorn has to say in their FAQs about V.I.N.s for their repo complete bodies:

What about the VIN?

A Vehicle or Vessel Identification Number (VIN) is issued by a manufacturer or State Licensing authority. There are three ways for a vehicle to obtain a number.
1.An existing VIN on a vehicle that is titled in your name can be transferred to a repair part (as instructed by your State authority).
2.A number may be issued by your State to ID a custom built vehicle when it passes a safety and number verification inspection.
3.A licensed manufacturer issued a VIN when the vehicle (or vessel) is made and ready for delivery. This can only be issued when a “turn key” (completed) car, truck, boat or aircraft has been manufactured.

Different states have different rules. I am not really sure how the Resto Mod group view V.I.N.s but most of us know that a state issued V.I.N. plate on a classic car is the kiss of death value wise.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:15 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,046 Likes on 576 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Super99Z
Here's what happens. You sell the frame with the Vin number on it. So Some scum bag buys the frame takes a tracing of the vin and apply for a title in a state where titles were not used. Now there are two cars running around with the same Vin number. It's happened in the past.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:09 AM
Super99Z
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette
Here's what happens. You sell the frame with the Vin number on it. So Some scum bag buys the frame takes a tracing of the vin and apply for a title in a state where titles were not used. Now there are two cars running around with the same Vin number. It's happened in the past.
This is exactly what I want to avoid. Some of the early posters in this thread didn't seem to understand what could eventually happen.

Get notified of new replies

To Restomod question

Quick Reply: Restomod question