C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vintage Air Gen 4 Evaporator Proper Procedure to Fit Under C-2 Dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 06:18 PM
1rad55
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Vintage Air Gen 4 Evaporator Proper Procedure to Fit Under C-2 Dash

I just finished up reading some of the prior threads on installing the evaporator on a C-2 and still need a little more detail:

I have a 66 Coupe that I have attached the heater hoses and the #6 a/c line will laying the evap on it's side on the floor board (per VA instructions) while attaching the 3 hoses. My question is what is the best procedure of snaking the evap behind the birdcage bar once the hoses have been attached....do I leave on it's side and angle the vent end in first then try and turn it to it's proper position? Or do I orientate the evap in it's final position first then angle the vent end and try to get it under the bar?

I would appreciate some more detailed info on how the evap was successfully installed and the method used to maneuver the evap around to get it in the proper postion for final attachments. Thanks in advance for your help in this almost impossible task! Note the VA tech advise was just work it around....he couldn't get any more specific!!!
Old 05-18-2017, 06:52 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

It's a wrestling match any way you do it. I think I worked one end( the hose end first) and then the other a little at a time until I could get a bolt in the mounting point. You have to really watch those stepper motors on top of the unit. Don't bang those around.

If you want to add add'l insulation at the firewall NOW is the time to do it BEFORE the evaporator install !!
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-19-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:24 PM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

It is an extremely tight fit. But just remember IT WILL FIT! Take your time...dont give up. I actually installed the blower unit first and was able to snake the hoses up to the unit very carefully. The two things to remember... #1 TAKE YOUR TIME. This is a very difficult install. Some A/C shops won't even do it. Too time consuming. It took me the better part of a week. (Like Frankie said... you don't want to damage anything by forcing it) The best advice is to try to wedge the right side in first and continue to scoot it into position a little at a time... if you get stuck... start over.
#2 IT WILL BE WELL WORTH IT...YOU WILL BE SO GLAD YOU DID THIS... and...you will be literally blown away when you feel the ice cold air on a 100 deg. plus day!
Good Luck!

Last edited by KENS78SILVERANNIV; 05-18-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Vintage Air Gen 4 Evaporator Proper Procedure to Fit Under C-2 Dash

Quick Reply: Vintage Air Gen 4 Evaporator Proper Procedure to Fit Under C-2 Dash