C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Windshield Bullseye Repair; I Opened Pandora’s Box

Old 05-18-2017, 06:46 PM
outofspec
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Windshield Bullseye Repair; I Opened Pandora’s Box

The bullseye was a little bigger than the diameter of a nickel when I noticed it more than a year ago. Low in the windshield, it didn’t bother me, but then I heard my insurance agent utter the words “You have free glass repair coverage”, as we reviewed my policies, and I was hooked. “Why not”, I figured, I haven’t filed a claim on anything in 30 years, and I unwittingly opened Pandora’s Box.
All very straight forward, my agent said chose a company in town, and I picked the well-respected local outfit. In the initial call they told me it may not work that well, but worth a try. When they said may not work, I didn’t think they meant it could get incredibly worse.
The tech made the repair at my home, in my shop. It looked good at the time. I asked if I needed to take any special care moving forward, and he said; “Nope, all good”; and I was left satisfied with the job.
The next day I washed the car, and when drying noticed the expansion of the problem. The pic is attached, unfortunately I have no before pic for reference. The halo is not a flash, it’s in the window. Delamination they called it.
I brought the car over to the glass shop to hear their thoughts and discuss my options. They said they could replace the windshield with a PPG windshield, parts and labor (less clips and gasket) for $320. They said this price was discounted. They also said I need to secure a set of stainless steel windshield trim pieces in case the R&R process renders any or all trim unusable. I tend to be a little reactionary, when I feel I’m getting bent over, so I bit my tongue, and said, “I’ll get back to you”.
Looking for advice:
1.) Is it reasonable for a professional glass shop to be bending up trim during installation and expect me to pay for it if they do?
2.) How hard is it to get the trim off without damage?
3.) In the event the trim does get damaged; can the windshield still be installed, and then have the trim applied at a later date?
4.) Assuming they would do the work correctly, is $320 plus clips and gasket a deal?
5.) Any experience with the fit of a PPG C2 windshield?
6.) Forum research indicates Corvette Rubber for the gasket and Paragon for the clips’ thoughts?
Thanks for reading and your thoughts.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:57 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

First rule of classic Corvettes:

"If you can't do the work yourself take it to an expert on classic Corvettes. "

You don't want somebody doing on-the-job training on your 50 year old car.

Its FREE so why would you take the car to somebody that dicked it up once and is already making excuses for when they dick it up again.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-18-2017 at 06:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
outofspec (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 07:04 PM
lbzraptor
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

I would make sure I watched them. On a work van I had a big name glass company came out and installed a windshield for me. Work looked good and it didn't leak, however I noticed scratches all over my hood that weren't there before. Neighbor said he saw them cut around the windshield and then got inside and booted the windshield out with it landing on the hood and sliding down.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:07 PM
outofspec
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

I figured that was the answer Frankie. I gave you a thank you for the painful but necessary jolt of reality.

I still would like to know if getting the trim off is that big a deal IF you know what you're doing?
Old 05-18-2017, 07:28 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 680 Posts

If you ask them how many C2s they have replaced windshields, you'll hear "0". Do you really want to be the first?
Old 05-18-2017, 07:30 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by outofspec
The bullseye was a little bigger than the diameter of a nickel when I noticed it more than a year ago. Low in the windshield, it didn’t bother me, but then I heard my insurance agent utter the words “You have free glass repair coverage”, as we reviewed my policies, and I was hooked. “Why not”, I figured, I haven’t filed a claim on anything in 30 years, and I unwittingly opened Pandora’s Box.
All very straight forward, my agent said chose a company in town, and I picked the well-respected local outfit. In the initial call they told me it may not work that well, but worth a try. When they said may not work, I didn’t think they meant it could get incredibly worse.
The tech made the repair at my home, in my shop. It looked good at the time. I asked if I needed to take any special care moving forward, and he said; “Nope, all good”; and I was left satisfied with the job.
The next day I washed the car, and when drying noticed the expansion of the problem. The pic is attached, unfortunately I have no before pic for reference. The halo is not a flash, it’s in the window. Delamination they called it.
I brought the car over to the glass shop to hear their thoughts and discuss my options. They said they could replace the windshield with a PPG windshield, parts and labor (less clips and gasket) for $320. They said this price was discounted. They also said I need to secure a set of stainless steel windshield trim pieces in case the R&R process renders any or all trim unusable. I tend to be a little reactionary, when I feel I’m getting bent over, so I bit my tongue, and said, “I’ll get back to you”.
Looking for advice:
1.) Is it reasonable for a professional glass shop to be bending up trim during installation and expect me to pay for it if they do?
2.) How hard is it to get the trim off without damage?
3.) In the event the trim does get damaged; can the windshield still be installed, and then have the trim applied at a later date?
4.) Assuming they would do the work correctly, is $320 plus clips and gasket a deal?
6.) Forum research indicates Corvette Rubber for the gasket and Paragon for the clips’ thoughts?

I have a lot of experience with glass replacement as a consumer. I live in AZ. where we have little rain. That means there is not much mud on the road for rocks to stick in. Therefore there are a lot of rocks flying around driving down the road. Also we have dust storms and a lot of dirt in the air when the wind blows that pit glass. I have always had glass coverage and average a new windshield in one of my vehicles about every 1 1/2 years. These claims do not effect your premiums.

The answers to your above questions.

1. NO

2. Not hard if you know what you are doing and take your time.

3. I would not allow that.

4. Your insurance should be involved in this if they accepted this shop
for repair with guaranteed results and it should be no cost to you.

5. Unfortunately it has been my experience that all replacement glass
these days is much thinner than the OEM glass. This usually means
it chips/breaks easier and you usually find yourself replacing it
more often.

6. I would have the gasket and clips on standby THRU the glass
company in case they are needed. If it is the original gasket most
likely you will need it.
The following users liked this post:
outofspec (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 08:52 PM
ndabunka
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One more thing (sorry to pile on) but I also learned this one the hard way.
"FREE" glass coverage does NOT mean that a "claim" won't show up on your insurance when you go to renew. I had a dime-sized chip on my '12 BMW X5 about a year ago. Wasn't in line of sight and not worth bothering with but I called the insurance company to see if they could fix it cheap/free. The answer was "sure, just take it to ZXY and they will do it for no cost to you". XYZ did a good job and the invoice appeared to show them charging ABC insurance about $55 for a 5 minute "patch" job. Luckily no issues with that patch in a year so all's good, right?

WRONG! Upon renewing my policy I see that it increased about $100 (that's about 20% in my case) and I asked why that was. They said that I had filed a "claim" in the last year. I was like.. Not that I am aware of. The only thing that's even been done was a $50 "free" glass repair. The Agent was, "YEP, that's it. Glass repair right here on your paperwork" and since it's a formal claim, your rate went up. So... I was led to believe that since it was so minor, it would not appear as any type of "claim" much less one that would increase my car insurance by TWENTY percent. Heck, it was $55 to fix & I probably could have done it with a $20 kit from AutoZone. Never will I file another "glass repair claim" ever again unless they are replacing the ENTIRE glass, trim and all and it's over a $500 job as the aggravation is just not worth it. Needless to say I moved my coverage to a different provider the next morning rather than be "robbed".
PS - Hope yours gets better

Last edited by ndabunka; 05-18-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:01 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I have Allstate and have never had an increase due to a glass claim and I have had many of them.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:41 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Never had a rate increase due to windshield repair. Wife just had a new one installed in her 2016 Durango - no cost and I was told it won't affect my rates.

When my 61 windshield got ruined by a rock American Hobbyist Ins wrote me a check for $2400 for a professional repair and my rates never went up. Burkes Corvette in Florida did the work flawlessly (I removed the windshield/frame and Burke's installed the glass) with ALL new hardware/rubber included for free.

Those 'ding repairs' sometimes turn out alright IF you didn't wait too long and IF there is no contamination (e.g. windshield washer fluid) in the ding and IF its not too bad; otherwise you're much better off replacing the glass.

As to the molding removal. IF the molding was installed properly and IF the person removing it has experience and IF they are careful and use the right tools, it should be a non-issue.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-19-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:34 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 680 Posts

No rate increase here either. I have a 2011 Frontier that sucks up every rock. First bullseye I had repaired you could not tell. Second one I could not tell that it was repaired! I think the person doing the job is a big factor.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:52 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I think I'd throw it back in your insurance agent's lap. He told you you had windshield coverage and he told you to pick a place. Tell him (no, show him) what the shop did to your windshield and tell him you want the windshield replaced and replaced by s shop that knows what they are doing with old Corvettes.

Just curious - is your policy with one of the collector car insurers? If so, they may be more understanding of the situation and what needs to be done to accomplish a proper fix.

Steve
Old 05-19-2017, 03:01 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,308 Posts

If you have coverage to repair glass, you may have coverage for glass replacement too. I would check with your agent on this.

I've had windshield chips filled a few times, on different cars, with very good results. Each time I've been told by the glass shop, that the windshield still may crack.

Originally Posted by outofspec
Normally I would say no, but very few shops have much experience with stainless windshield moldings these days. Most cars haven't used windshield moldings in over 30 years.

Take the car to a Corvette shop, or a restoration shop familiar with stainless windshield moldings and windshields installed with a gasket, instead of glued in.

2. How hard is it to get the trim off without damage?
It's easy to bend one, even if you're familiar with them. The upper and lower moldings are available as repro's, but not the A-Pillar ones.

Yes. The trim has nothing to do with the windshield, or how it's held in place. The trim is not something you want to be installing yourself, if you're not familiar with it. It can be especially difficult to get them installed, when using a new rubber windshield seal.

It's probably average, for a replacement glass windshield.

Most of the glass available today, is slightly thinner than the original glass, but it doesn't usually create a problem.

The original glass in your car was LOF brand. If your car is all stock and original, and had an original LOF windshield in it, I'd want to replace it with another LOF windshield. Correct dated LOF reproduction windshields list for $340, and about $100 less for an LOF without the date code.

Corvette Rubber is the maker of the best Corvette weatherstrips. As far as the clips, from my experience Long Island has the best clips, though Paragon may be selling the same ones.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield Bullseye Repair; I Opened Pandora’s Box

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C2] Windshield Bullseye Repair; I Opened Pandora’s Box