C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] # of Tie Rod Turns to go from Inner to Outer Holes

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 07:27 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

Default # of Tie Rod Turns to go from Inner to Outer Holes

How many turns of the tie rod adjustment sleeve is needed when going from one hole to the other?

Seems like I remember someone mentioning it. Searched and searched but couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:37 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Maybe I'm oversimplifying it, but why not pull it out of one hole, turn it till it fits correctly in the other one. Tighten it. Don't move the wheels, then do the same to the other side.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:08 PM
AkrHack
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Maybe I'm oversimplifying it, but why not pull it out of one hole, turn it till it fits correctly in the other one. Tighten it. Don't move the wheels, then do the same to the other side.
this pretty much sums it up and is exactly what I did last year on my '67. You'll know if you haven't turned the tie rod end enough or too much. The key is not moving the front wheels. Using a lift or ramps versus jack stands will keep them from moving. After you are done, it is still a good idea to get an alignment sooner rather than later or you may get uneven tire wear.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:12 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,949 Posts

All that changes is the toe in. You can check and set that with a tape measure or board with a couple nails in the ends for reference points, etc. Maybe someone has a tram gage you can borrow. Just turn the sleeves an equal number of turns on both sides to keep the steering wheel centered - which I know you are aware of.

Get notified of new replies

To # of Tie Rod Turns to go from Inner to Outer Holes

Quick Reply: [C2] # of Tie Rod Turns to go from Inner to Outer Holes