C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Any experience with EPAS elec power steering mod?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 10:19 AM
56 Texas
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Any experience with EPAS elec power steering mod?

Any feedback from anyone on installing and use of the EPAS electric power steering modification?
Old 05-25-2017, 10:35 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Not brand specific, but had the electric rack and pinion fail in one of our fleet vehicle's a few years back at about 31,000 miles. Cost $3400 to replace it. Not an option I would consider, personally. YMMV........
Old 05-25-2017, 11:38 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

The EPAS system is an electric power assist that mounts on the steering column. Seems to work well but I would like to hear from some actual users.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:48 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

There are several youtube videos on it but that's not personal experience of course....it's nice feature is that its variable...more assist in tight spots and less with straight-ahead road driving...
Old 05-26-2017, 08:39 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I don't know anything about the aftermarket version but my E350 Benz has it. I'm don't know how much computer input it has but it is the best driving car I've ever driven. I wish I could move a lot of features over to the Vette.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:42 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiovet
The EPAS system is an electric power assist that mounts on the steering column. Seems to work well but I would like to hear from some actual users.
i just installed an EPAS performance conversion on my 67 mustang fastback. The steering feel is phenomenal! Far better than I anticipated and you can adjust it to your own particular preference. However, I used it with a manual rack and pinion, not a worm gear box.
The only down side was the installation. I spent 18 hours modifying my steering column and installing it. If EPAS performance offers a steering column that is already modified(which they do for the mustang), definitely buy it!
Old 05-26-2017, 08:51 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 65silververt
i just installed an EPAS performance conversion on my 67 mustang fastback. The steering feel is phenomenal! Far better than I anticipated and you can adjust it to your own particular preference. However, I used it with a manual rack and pinion, not a worm gear box.
The only down side was the installation. I spent 18 hours modifying my steering column and installing it. If EPAS performance offers a steering column that is already modified(which they do for the mustang), definitely buy it!
Since the C1 Corvette column is integral with the steering box (press fit of the column into the box), I doubt very much that they would offer it that way.

This is what I consider to be the downfall of such a system on a C1, in that your existing steering must be in top notch condition,and then you must have it modified. Steering box, including column are removed, and then cut down to attach the EPAS in between the lower and upper sections of your column. And then reinstalled, and plus adding the EPAS portion under the dash.

Only if your steering is in top condition, will it work to your satisfaction with the added power steering assist.

If your steering system needs to be renovated to begin with (especially the steering box), any one of the R&P systems would be a better choice.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 05-26-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:11 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

They most likely offer the C1 and C2 systems with an IDIDIT column. A tilt IDIDIT column for my mustang cost $600. EPAS performance offered their modified unit that IDIDIT makes for around $450.00. If I had not already had the column for several years, I would have purchased the one they offer.
They are now starting to offer a full rack with the EPAS integrated into it for some applications. The owner Jeff is very nice, so it's worth at least a phone call to discuss. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:01 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 65silververt
They most likely offer the C1 and C2 systems with an IDIDIT column. A tilt IDIDIT column for my mustang cost $600. EPAS performance offered their modified unit that IDIDIT makes for around $450.00. If I had not already had the column for several years, I would have purchased the one they offer.
They are now starting to offer a full rack with the EPAS integrated into it for some applications. The owner Jeff is very nice, so it's worth at least a phone call to discuss. Good luck.
For a C1, the existing steering box and column must come out and be modified (cut), even if the upper half uses an Ididit upper column. The lower half of the original box, shaft, and column must still be used for the EPAS.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 05-26-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:07 AM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

I attempted to install one in a different vehicle, (56 Truck) It takes up a lot of room and I couldn't get it to fit. But I see that Epas sells a direct fit for a 53-62, even appears to come with the steering box. At $1450.... that would be a tough call for me.

Last edited by SledgeHammer 2.0; 05-28-2017 at 09:13 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Any experience with EPAS elec power steering mod?

Quick Reply: Any experience with EPAS elec power steering mod?