C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Paint & Body Skills

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 10:54 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Looks great Pat. I don't see where you are off on your hours. One of our members posted the hours in paint and prep on his C2. J66chevelle had 350 hours and still needed color sanding and buffing. And that is professional hours. I've got over a week in soda blasting I hope to get that wrapped up this week. Then I get to look forward to all of the blocking and sanding with 2 torn rotator cuffs. Getting old is great.
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (05-30-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 07:16 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

For what this is worth:

I am a professional and I can say that there is NOTHING genetic about how I acquired my ability. I have paid a serious tuition to the 'school of hard knocks'...and I mean SERIOUS! What I have all learned and acquired was all pre-internet.

I can say this...is that IF a person wants to do this and they keep their focus on the job at hand...and do not allow their own head to get in the way....they can do EXACTLY what I do.

If a person asks a question about a repair and someone replies who obviously knows more or has done it and tried numerous methods and found one that no longer fails...it is then up to that person who asked the question to either....follow to the letter what was being offered as advice...or 're-invent' the wheel and HOPE that what they think will work and last decades. Often times people will use some of the advice and change the rest EXPECTING the same end result. It DOES NOT work that way in many scenarios. Kinda like...you want hard boiled eggs but YOU choose to not boil water...so how can you expect to get hard boiled eggs???

I can appreciate your hard work 'ptjsk' that you put into your Nomad. And for what it is worth....YES...I could have possibly done it faster...but that is not the point. SPEED is not my prime directive. Getting the panel correct IS. And having decades of knowing how to 'feel' a panel and look at it and check it is where I can gain sped due ot knowing when to stop.

If you choose to work on your 1963...have no fear. you will not be alone and if you any thousands of questions...I (along with others) will be glad to give you advice. So you will not be going into this blindly. But be fore-warned...if I reply...I AM looking out for YOUR best interests..and I am NOT implying that others are not also....but I am rather direct and I do not back down when I am trying to let you know about something that may contradict what others may think of feel. That is when you have to make a decision. It is your car and you can do it how ever you feel.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 12:22 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert61
Looks great Pat. I don't see where you are off on your hours. One of our members posted the hours in paint and prep on his C2. J66chevelle had 350 hours and still needed color sanding and buffing. And that is professional hours. I've got over a week in soda blasting I hope to get that wrapped up this week. Then I get to look forward to all of the blocking and sanding with 2 torn rotator cuffs. Getting old is great.
Thanks a lot!

Yea, what the hell is it with rotator cuffs??

I guess part of it is telling me to back off on the poundage a bit, but dammit....my mind still tells me it's ok!!

Pat
Old 05-30-2017, 12:42 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
For what this is worth:

I am a professional and I can say that there is NOTHING genetic about how I acquired my ability. I have paid a serious tuition to the 'school of hard knocks'...and I mean SERIOUS! What I have all learned and acquired was all pre-internet.

I can say this...is that IF a person wants to do this and they keep their focus on the job at hand...and do not allow their own head to get in the way....they can do EXACTLY what I do.

If a person asks a question about a repair and someone replies who obviously knows more or has done it and tried numerous methods and found one that no longer fails...it is then up to that person who asked the question to either....follow to the letter what was being offered as advice...or 're-invent' the wheel and HOPE that what they think will work and last decades. Often times people will use some of the advice and change the rest EXPECTING the same end result. It DOES NOT work that way in many scenarios. Kinda like...you want hard boiled eggs but YOU choose to not boil water...so how can you expect to get hard boiled eggs???

I can appreciate your hard work 'ptjsk' that you put into your Nomad. And for what it is worth....YES...I could have possibly done it faster...but that is not the point. SPEED is not my prime directive. Getting the panel correct IS. And having decades of knowing how to 'feel' a panel and look at it and check it is where I can gain sped due ot knowing when to stop.

If you choose to work on your 1963...have no fear. you will not be alone and if you any thousands of questions...I (along with others) will be glad to give you advice. So you will not be going into this blindly. But be fore-warned...if I reply...I AM looking out for YOUR best interests..and I am NOT implying that others are not also....but I am rather direct and I do not back down when I am trying to let you know about something that may contradict what others may think of feel. That is when you have to make a decision. It is your car and you can do it how ever you feel.

DUB
I really appreciate your input DUB!

I have read several posts where you have offered your advise and I always have appreciated that you took the time to respond.

I still have a few months on the Nomad, but I'm hoping to pull the body off the '63 prior to winter setting in.

I will most definitely hit you up on questions, especially since you're willing to offer the advise.

One of the most recent "lessons" I learned on the Nomad is that the big fancy air polisher should only be used by those who know how to use it! LOL!

I now know that speed and pressure is not a good thing to paint! After heating up the surface, even though I didn't leave it in one place, a hot surface is not good! And heating the paint to the point that it bubbles the clear, and then goes through it is even more testament to the fact that the machine needs to slow down, and let the weight of the machine be your friend.

After a few dumb *** mistakes, and no longer thinking I should "power" through this, I have now learned how to rub out paint a bit better. Most importantly, I have learned how to stay away from edges & ridges, and just because the machine will spin at 3,000 RRM, it doesn't mean that I should run the tool at wide open throttle.

I sure am learning a hell of a lot, but again, I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my thread. And I will be looking to you for future advise!

First question though; what do you feel about plastic media blasting for stripping the body?

Pat

Last edited by ptjsk; 05-30-2017 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Pat,

If you need any advice in using a buffer/polisher and can not get your questions answered by watching videos on the internet...I can help if you need it.

I can say that a variable speed electric buffer is the only way I do it and even with the setting of RPM's at the lowest setting...there is very little chance that you can damage paint...BUT it is still moving faster that you trying to do it all by hand.

I am not saying that I am the only one who knows how to do this...but I cut my teeth on buffing lacquer paint jobs decades ago and they can get heated up rather fast and actually move paint....so..I have experienced just about every possible problem that can happen when using a buffer.

DUB

Quick Reply: Paint & Body Skills