C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 pro touring conversions

Old 05-27-2017, 11:04 AM
64c2ls376
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2 pro touring conversions

what is best company or shop to do a complete pro touring conversion?
Old 05-28-2017, 09:16 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

1st welcome to the forum, There's a ton of knowledge here and it's a great community.

That is such a wide open question I'm guessing that's why no responses as of yet. I think you need to give more details. Is this a ground up build? What's the budget? A scratch build with all the latest can easily go over 200K. Plus opinions vary on who's the best. A couple that come to mind who have gotten a lot of ink of late are Detroit Speed and Engineering and the Roadster Shop. There are many other great builders and there are several chassis to choose from. So how far do you want to go?
Old 05-28-2017, 09:33 AM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,043 Likes on 574 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If you are looking at function and resale someday the Roadster Shop frame is the best. I have seen some builds sell with other frames and RS are top dog not just a frame but a work of art. More money up front make a lot more money in the end and the ones that use C4 components why would you build a car with 32 year technology?
Old 05-28-2017, 09:48 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 874 Likes on 537 Posts

The op is asking about builders not frames I believe.

I I suggest you PM guys with a polite request for a phone call. You might try John (sorry for the typo) McGraw and Mike coletta. DUB mostly restores but he knows other builders. Mike Terry is also well connected. I was up late and I'm missing several friends names here who are doing excellent work and know people involved in the same. 65silververt.

Also so off forum you might talk to Seth at lucky' restoration in Alabama. I had several refer me to him and while I did my own paint I was impressed at his references and demeanor.

Last edited by ChattanoogaJSB; 05-28-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:50 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 874 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette
If you are looking at function and resale someday the Roadster Shop frame is the best. I have seen some builds sell with other frames and RS are top dog not just a frame but a work of art. More money up front make a lot more money in the end and the ones that use C4 components why would you build a car with 32 year technology?
an 84 z51 Corvette made a full G on the skid pad- nothing to sneeze at in any era...
Old 05-28-2017, 07:36 PM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

I agree with what others posted - contact John McGraw or Mike Coletta as they are recognized "experts" in this field.
Please post more about your expectations for what you wish to accomplish as this is quite the journey on the soul and the wallet.

As an example, my 64 Restomod was originally built by Mike and later upgraded by Hot Rod Dynamics (Joe Lutz) using a Street Shop chassis with C6 suspension on all corners with a LS3 engine mated to a TKO5-speed manual transmission. It has all the creature comforts; cruise control, power steering/brakes/windows, yada yada yada.....

Last edited by dcaggiani; 05-28-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:36 AM
Big Hit
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

What's your BUDGET?
Given your question asking a SHOP's name I'm assuming you will not be doing the bulk of the build.

Also what shape is your donor car in?

SO much info on this site...take the time to search the subject.
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2017, 09:53 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

This car looks interesting.. Jus not sure what it might be called.

I might drop a few of the stickers though. Then again they might be paying the bills.

Richard Newton
Car Tech Stuff

Last edited by rfn026; 05-30-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:23 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette
I'd be shocked if anyone paying a shop to do a build for them is making money on it in the end. There's nothing wrong with C4 components if you're on a budget. You can buy a whole car on the cheap. It won't be long before you see some of these older builds being done a second time around and those C4 built frames will be discounted for others builds. That's what I'm waiting for.

Last edited by biggd; 05-30-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:02 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by biggd
I'd be shocked if anyone paying a shop to do a build for them is making money on it in the end. There's nothing wrong with C4 components if you're on a budget. You can buy a whole car on the cheap. It won't be long before you see some of these older builds being done a second time around and those C4 built frames will be discounted for others builds. That's what I'm waiting for.
Seems you are not to up to date on fact that rear C6 & C7 suspension have been being used in Aftermarket chassis since there release too.

It's up to the you to decide which suspension and chassis is best for your needs. C4 in some chassis designs allow for stock body to be used, while other no matter what rear suspension you use require major rear floor mods to fit C4/C6 or C7 suspension.

As for Roadster Shop, it's chassis has a performance disadvantage when compared to others, related to it's weight and suspension design.

Looks wise ok. I don't care for it's performance cost, weight. I'm not a HP to Weight guy, so big HP numbers to pull that weight is not my thing. I'm more of a keep the weight down so you get the same performance out of less HP. Also the more the car weighs and placement of some of that weight if it's moved higher up, means the less "G"s car can pull in a turn too.

The difference in cost between a Chassis with C4 suspension and C6 is not that great. C7 little more due to lack of salvage downer cars out there.

PS: Based on your thinking those C4 cars are already out there...LOL
Old 05-30-2017, 03:15 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext
Seems you are not to up to date on fact that rear C6 & C7 suspension have been being used in Aftermarket chassis since there release too.

It's up to the you to decide which suspension and chassis is best for your needs. C4 in some chassis designs allow for stock body to be used, while other no matter what rear suspension you use require major rear floor mods to fit C4/C6 or C7 suspension.

As for Roadster Shop, it's chassis has a performance disadvantage when compared to others, related to it's weight and suspension design.

Looks wise ok. I don't care for it's performance cost, weight. I'm not a HP to Weight guy, so big HP numbers to pull that weight is not my thing. I'm more of a keep the weight down so you get the same performance out of less HP. Also the more the car weighs and placement of some of that weight if it's moved higher up, means the less "G"s car can pull in a turn too.

The difference in cost between a Chassis with C4 suspension and C6 is not that great. C7 little more due to lack of salvage downer cars out there.

PS: Based on your thinking those C4 cars are already out there...LOL
There are plenty of C4 corvette donor cars out there cheap. I'm not into spending tons of money just to have the latest and greatest. I know many people that are though and those guys usually lose a lot of money. But some ones loss is some ones gain. I prefer to be on the gaining end.
I understand the builder wanting to go with the latest and greatest if the customer has the cash to burn but when he get's tired of it and decides to sell some one else will get a great deal. He's the guy I want to be.

Last edited by biggd; 05-30-2017 at 07:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 pro touring conversions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C2 pro touring conversions