C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fuel Hose Pinchers - Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 08:53 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
And I am sure you also used it to torque your wheel lug nuts also.

That may be true...in regards to using them on a frequent basis ...but I do have well over 50 screwdrivers....and actually some of them are actually large enough to plug off the fuel line(s) in question on this thread.

DUB
Who precisely torques lugs???

That is is an entirely by feel operation!!!!!

And I stopped plugging fuel lines with Phillip screwdrivers, because I sometimes would have to slice the fuel line to get them free if left there too long!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-29-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:59 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Hmm, now you're going to prompt me to go and count the number of screwdrivers (excluding screw bits that are used with other tools) in the top drawer of my tool chest.

I'm guessing around 50.
To count all of mine, first I need to get the ones out of my cars, out of the kitchen drawer, in my hobby room, in my storage, one or two in the bathroom, some at work, and oh ya, the ones at relatives houses, or borrowed by neighbors!
Old 05-29-2017, 09:11 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
just about every major tire service company, including Walmart....

Bill
Old 05-29-2017, 09:31 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
just about every major tire service company, including Walmart....

Bill
So, I'm Walmart then?
Old 05-29-2017, 09:58 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

I just feel better knowing it by feel! I bet all of them just basically do the same pound torque for everything (probably higher than necessary)! I have 1/2 studs on everything and higher quality lugs! I prefer to not have a pneumatic gun hammering poundage on my sweet spot threads!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-29-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:17 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
So, I'm Walmart then?
Well, better that than Sears or Kmart lately!
Old 05-30-2017, 10:51 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by domenic tallarita
Well, I was told by some DUDE, that that was a roach clip!

Dom
Huh what. Why would you want to clip a roach. MMMMM, I always thought you stepped on those little critters. squish.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:19 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
What you really need to worry about is how you're gonna plug the ends of the metal lines after you remove the rubber hoses. I hold a finger over the end with one hand and have a bunch of vacuum fitting rubber caps close by to grab with the other hand after it pulls the rubber hose off. Then press the appropriate size cap over the end of the steel line.

Reverse the process when installing the new hose

I do lose a few drops in the process, but not much - just gotta be quick!
Gotta be quick. Well I guess I am man enough to tell my garage mishap for a stupidity award.

I am sure we all have stupid garage tricks that we have done that did not work out too well.

I had a about a full tank of gas. This is before I had a lift so I was on my creeper face up to the tank. I thought that I could be quick enough to pull off a line and replace the end with something that I had.

I pulled off the line went to plug it and dropped it. Fuel dumped into both eyes, I couldn't see what I dropped, I am trying to feel on the floor for the dropped piece and couldn't find it. Do to the pain in my eyes I am feeling the floor with bot eyes closed. Then the fuel is poring all over me and the breaking point was the gas in my ears. Any idea how painful gas is in the ears. It hurts worse than the eyes.

I could not take the pain any longer, I let the fuel continue to flow on the garage floor and I ran in the house and rinsed off my head. After maybe 15 minutes the ear pain really started in. I called 911 and asked them what I could do and they said try to flush the ears out. If you cant go to ER.

I had to go to ER. When I go there, there were 8-10 people ahead of me, the ear and eye pain was intense. I thought how can I wait that long. Well the good news is because all of my close smelled so bad, and the entire ER area smelled like gas, they took me in next.

They flushed out my eyes and ears and then I went home and cleaned out the mess I left.

OK, that is my stupid garage trick and I am sticking to it.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:29 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by stratplus
Gotta be quick. Well I guess I am man enough to tell my garage mishap for a stupidity award.

I am sure we all have stupid garage tricks that we have done that did not work out too well.

I had a about a full tank of gas. This is before I had a lift so I was on my creeper face up to the tank. I thought that I could be quick enough to pull off a line and replace the end with something that I had.

I pulled off the line went to plug it and dropped it. Fuel dumped into both eyes, I couldn't see what I dropped, I am trying to feel on the floor for the dropped piece and couldn't find it. Do to the pain in my eyes I am feeling the floor with bot eyes closed. Then the fuel is poring all over me and the breaking point was the gas in my ears. Any idea how painful gas is in the ears. It hurts worse than the eyes.

I could not take the pain any longer, I let the fuel continue to flow on the garage floor and I ran in the house and rinsed off my head. After maybe 15 minutes the ear pain really started in. I called 911 and asked them what I could do and they said try to flush the ears out. If you cant go to ER.

I had to go to ER. When I go there, there were 8-10 people ahead of me, the ear and eye pain was intense. I thought how can I wait that long. Well the good news is because all of my close smelled so bad, and the entire ER area smelled like gas, they took me in next.

They flushed out my eyes and ears and then I went home and cleaned out the mess I left.

Damn! I am glad you are OK and nothing worse happened with all that gas!
Old 05-30-2017, 11:34 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

At least you weren't smoking. Now THAT would have been stupid.

Steve
Old 05-30-2017, 12:30 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by CrossedUp
I'm going to be replacing the front and rear rubber fuel hoses and thought one of these (see pics) would make the job somewhat less stressful.

Gotta be quick.

And I was wondering why you thought the job would be stressful. A man's gotta' know his limitations.

Glad you're okay.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:30 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

But but but but but you didn't tell us how you stopped the gas flooding onto the creeper and floor after you bailed eyes and ears burning and all? You left us in suspense and were any of the nurses hot?

The slick move would have been to slide it right back on where you pulled it off!
Old 05-30-2017, 06:53 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YES..I have to. Not due to any rule saying I have to..I do it so I know they are right....and on many of the Corvettes I work on that have nice lug nuts..I do not want an impact damaging the chrome and causing it to pop off later. I have got to cover any possibility of someone having a problem that comes back on me I honestly feel the few minutes it takes me to torque the lug nuts is well worth while and it allows me to slow down and make sure I got all of what I did correct when I do my mental checklist...and that is AFTER I did my paper checklist.

That is is an entirely by feel operation!!!!!
I wish I could but I just can't..I have been doing it a specific way for so long it would feel weird.

FOR WHAT THIS IS WORTH:

I kinda thought about it today at work and many of you know this is what I do ...so often times when I am getting into someones fuel system..it has more than likely NOT had any hose replacements...so...actually I will grab a pair of Vise-Grips and clamp of the hose an cut it and put a new one on due to I really DO NOT like to use any of the tools that can clamp off a hose ESPECIALLY if the hose has any age to it.

DUB
Old 05-30-2017, 07:32 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DUB
YES..I have to. Not due to any rule saying I have to..I do it so I know they are right....and on many of the Corvettes I work on that have nice lug nuts..I do not want an impact damaging the chrome and causing it to pop off later. I have got to cover any possibility of someone having a problem that comes back on me I honestly feel the few minutes it takes me to torque the lug nuts is well worth while and it allows me to slow down and make sure I got all of what I did correct when I do my mental checklist...and that is AFTER I did my paper checklist.

I wish I could but I just can't..I have been doing it a specific way for so long it would feel weird.

FOR WHAT THIS IS WORTH:

I kinda thought about it today at work and many of you know this is what I do ...so often times when I am getting into someones fuel system..it has more than likely NOT had any hose replacements...so...actually I will grab a pair of Vise-Grips and clamp of the hose an cut it and put a new one on due to I really DO NOT like to use any of the tools that can clamp off a hose ESPECIALLY if the hose has any age to it.

DUB
How much extra do you charge for taking all these extra careful steps?
Old 05-30-2017, 08:36 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeM
How much extra do you charge for taking all these extra careful steps?
I think he has a professional and legal/liability responsibility to take those steps when working on customer cars that those of us working on our own cars can choose to do differently.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:54 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Actually by feel hand torquing, I bet I am within pounds of each other on each lug! I just don't call it precision because I am not using a torque wrench!
Old 05-30-2017, 09:02 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
I think he has a professional and legal/liability responsibility to take those steps when working on customer cars that those of us working on our own cars can choose to do differently.
I know that but I wanted to hear it from him. In the meantime, he is muddying the waters on how you normally work on a car.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Hose Pinchers - Opinions?

Old 05-30-2017, 09:08 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Wow I walk away for a day to go to work and come home to a thread that I thought was dead... Four pages later and we have drama, insults and other crap. LOL....

It's amazing the threads that go on and on and I ask a real technical question and there are crickets... LOL
Old 05-31-2017, 09:42 AM
stratplus
Drifting

But but but but but you didn't tell us how you stopped the gas flooding onto the creeper and floor after you bailed eyes and ears burning and all? You left us in suspense and were any of the nurses hot?

The slick move would have been to slide it right back on where you pulled it off!
I didn't tell you how I stopped the flood because I didn't. Gallons ran down the garage and into the driveway, I just could not attend to it.

Nurses, because of the way I smelled, I ended up with Ms. Bertha Amazoniun Brutus. I am glad I had gas in my eyes.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:19 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I didn't tell you how I stopped the flood because I didn't. Gallons ran down the garage and into the driveway, I just could not attend to it.
You are one lucky dude. So much other bad stuff (in addition to the bad stuff you actually experienced) could have happened that day.

Steve

Quick Reply: Fuel Hose Pinchers - Opinions?