C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Muncie - stuck reverse shift shaft pin

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 02:03 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Default Muncie - stuck reverse shift shaft pin

Barely started on breaking down my transmission and seem to run into a problem. I can't get the tapered pin out that secures the reverse shift fork shaft. It looked a bit buggered up to begin with and after I worked it over with a 3/32 and 1/8 inch punch I can't even distinguish the pin from the case. I suspect an incorrect pin was last installed as I would think the correct pin would be hardened. This pin doesn't seem any harder than the aluminum case. Yes, I've been trying to tap it out from the bottom.

I've tried propane heat, Kroil, I've taped on the pin from the top side in hopes of jarring it loose but can't get it to move. It's to the point of screwing up the lower boss area for the shift shaft pretty good with a big divot.

Anyone run into this before and have some last suggestions to try? I'm about to the point I may just have to cut the thing off. I was hoping to re-use this tail housing but it's looking like I will be going with an AutoGear one after all.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:09 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,022 Likes on 682 Posts

Dan, this can be the most difficult problem to resolve on a Muncie. Some impossible. I'd recommend a center punch on the other end of the pin and then a small drill to take out the center of the pin. Since it's tapered, you want to work up to a drill large enough to wipe the pin where it intersects with the shaft, but not beyond so the next pin will have something to "hold" to. Secure the tailshaft and a drill press helps. Hope that helps.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:13 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

You are right about difficult. It looked like it had been messed with in the past and was sort of preened over on the bottom. Also the pin seemed to be soft material. By the time I struck it with a punch a couple times I couldn't even distinguish the pin from the housing material and after a little more hammering I was just creating a crater on the bottom of the boss. In the end I had to scrap the housing and drill it out from the top and drive it out the bottom. Probably my fault and not someone previous - didn't realize how delicate the damn thing was. Not like I haven't driven out many pins in the past.

So - guess I'll get a new AutoGear tailhousing to go with the AutoGear main case.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2017, 07:22 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Sometimes your best efforts are in vain...you just have to suck it up and move on...

Seems to me like you tried every reasonable method to remove the pin...1/2 century of use and one or more Bubba's involved and things go south quickly...
Old 05-28-2017, 07:29 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Frankie - feel kind of bad about it but not original to the car anyway. That pin didn't want to move. By the time I concluded it was fubar'd I took an 1/8 inch punch and just banged the hell out of where I thought the end of the pin was down in the hole - never moved it on the top side at all. After I drilled it from the top and drove it from the bottom - I realized I was half on the pin and half in the case - it just would not move.
The following users liked this post:
Robert61 (05-28-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 01:22 PM
69z28&ss396
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Just checking, but you are moving the pin from bottom to top. The pin is tapered and installed from top to bottom.

Flip the trans over and hit it from the bottom.

If this is unclear let me know.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:44 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes - bottom to top. I was aware of that.

Get notified of new replies

To Muncie - stuck reverse shift shaft pin

Quick Reply: Muncie - stuck reverse shift shaft pin