C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

A story that needs to be told

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 04:24 PM
Livewild
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default A story that needs to be told

A story of my Vette, Yes this is gonna kinda be lengthy but stories are meant to be told and heard by others I appreciate anyone that sticks around and reads threw it. Share it with others use it as a form of encouragement, cars are meant to be driven don't let them sit. Get out with your family son or daughter start a project spend time with them regardless of the scenario. Time is the enemy it has no remorse for anyone, use it wisely and spend every moment with loved ones. The littlest things that you go out of your way could be moments that will affect yourself and others for their lifetime.

Backstory Everyone has one right?

Starting off from the beginning with my introduction into the muscle car/classics. My father owned several generations of corvettes but that one that he owned since my birth was a 65 convertible vette. Growing up learning to wrench and tinker on this car at the time was just a normal to me. But as I got older I started to realize what I was actually working on. Time passed and occasional drives around my area and the best being picked up from school was always a surprise to me. But life passes and things happen.. Around the age of 15 my father passed and the car along with him. Being 15 and having this drop into my lap was more that anyone could handle at that age. So time passed about 5 years and the car did nothing but sit and degrade. After time passed i got tired of watching it sit. Decided to use some of the knowledge and wisdom that i learned from my father to try to get this gem back working.
Problem 1 would not start followed some basic tips Spark Air Fuel. Got Spark Got Air but no fuel. Did some searching on here and decide to follow back the fuel lines. The rubber line that attaches from the tank to the hard line was hard as a rock and very brittle replaced it. Turned it over and worked perfectly. Drove it around enjoyed it for a while, but if you let anything sit for a while there is always gonna be problems that pop up. Started sputtering bogging very hard and a few other problems started to appear. Didn't have the money to really invest and fix the problems so it went back to sitting. Not to long later a buddy of mine got a 70'roadrunner and like any normal young person you gotta get the classics out and take a Sunday ride. I tried to get the vette running just enough to take it on a short cruise. Worked for the night but realized how much everything was hurting. The car was struggling and you could just feel the sadness and screams from the car.
So parked it, and back to sitting it went. A few people knew I had the car from previous friends of my father to people my age were praising this car and i just saw it as a trophy sitting in the garage. In other people's eyes they all asked why is it just sitting here and not being driven around. After hearing this from more people than I can count I decided to pull the trigger on the car.

I sat down and started a list of everything that I needed to do to make the gem shine.
Step 1 pull everything apart. I needed that engine bay to be completely empty. I started with removing everything. Anything that was attached to that block had to be gone. Also everything surrounding it radiator, fan shroud, and all the coolant lines everything. Name:  GOPR0418.JPG
Views: 915
Size:  2.51 MB Name:  GOPR0647.JPG
Views: 886
Size:  1.98 MB

when there was just a bare block and only the block it was time to remove the engine. Took about 4 people that were all noobies to this but we got it done Name:  GOPR2284.JPG
Views: 921
Size:  2.43 MB

Now that the engine bay was clear of everything it was time to start prep for the paint. Everything was ready to go so it was paint day. Now that everything was done it was time to start to reassemble. Name:  GOPR2293.JPG
Views: 949
Size:  2.45 MB Name:  GOPR2306.JPG
Views: 900
Size:  2.90 MB

Everything went back together with ease now with the block in place I needed to start the touchy stuff wiring and just generally making everything in better shape. Name:  G0033089.JPG
Views: 919
Size:  2.34 MB
I did some basic upgrades to the motor like water pump new power steering pump as well. Name:  IMG_0115.JPG
Views: 893
Size:  1.53 MB
With everything back in place I did some more petty stuff wire looms touch up with the paint and just generally trying to make it look the best that I can. Found myself a msd box in the backseat that I never knew was there and found myself a wiring diagram and hooked it up.
Now I'm at the point where everything is back in place but I would like to do some minor things such as intake and carb. So the plan is to try to get a holley 650 dp also either a torker 2 or rpm air gap intake.
Im at the point where everything that could be done by myself has been accomplished. The next few things are waiting on parts and $$$ it's hard to come across money sometimes especially when everything for your vehicle cost bonkers money. I have plenty of pics (few thousand) of my entire project but I'll limit it to some of the major moments. And the project still continues I'm almost done not to far to go. If my post gets the outcome that I would like I'll continue with further pictures, and what else I got to do. From tuning the new carb to polishing the valve covers getting everything to my satisfaction.

So that is my adventure so far, I encourage anyone to share their story as well. My steps into the classic's were a roller coaster for sure but, the younger generations (my generation and earlier) have been exempt from the wonders and joys of the things that the readers (older gents) love. Pass down what you know share your stories and wonders of this car thriving world. I will try to further my past and future with others (another post down the road) do the same.

And that is about all I got to say Thank you to everyone who took the time to read. Any questions or concerns you have share with me. Pm me or just reply to the post...

A special thank to all my friends and neighbors who helped me through this. And family most importantly. Im young and learning i have some wisdom to pass on anything ask away Im looking to help.

Also if i put this in the wrong place please a mod or admin help me out first post.

Last edited by Livewild; 05-28-2017 at 06:04 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Livewild:
63Corvette (05-30-2017), 6T5RUSH (05-29-2017), ptjsk (05-30-2017), RJ1 (06-02-2017), RoadKing96 (05-29-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 06:13 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Welcome to the Forum! Great story, and great first post!

The following users liked this post:
Livewild (05-28-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 06:29 PM
USMC 0802
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 959 Likes on 490 Posts
USMC

Excellent first post, well done!

I too got my fathers car ('66), but am fortunate that he's still around to see my progress.

I'm really excited for you and impressed with your perseverance. I echo your sentiments about driving these cars and certainly look fwd to hearing more about yours.

All the best and looking fwd to hearing more about it!
Old 05-28-2017, 07:20 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 572 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Take your time and do it right the first time. When finished no one will ever be able to wipe the smile off of your face, or the smiles and "thumbs up" you will get from others!
Old 05-28-2017, 07:21 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 250 Posts

Welcome to the Forum and sorry about the loss of your father.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:16 PM
Livewild
Instructor

Thanks for the reply's everyone, every comment is a step of motivation that furthers my ambition of what i want to do.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:37 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 874 Likes on 537 Posts

Excellent introduction!
Old 05-28-2017, 08:40 PM
lakebumm
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 63 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Nice story.

One thing I think we've all learned with these older cars, is the "petty stuff" like wiring, fuel lines, brakes, etc, are what will jump up and bite you.

Take the time to make sure these systems are in like new condition, and then you'll be able to enjoy your corvette without worry.

Good luck, nice project
Old 05-28-2017, 09:18 PM
Panhead
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the pics and story..hope you enjoy..good luck.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:55 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Your father left you a part of his life and you have accepted the challenge to make him proud. YOU HAVE.

As a father would say (I am now a Grandfather) "there is nothing you cannot do if you put your mind to it". You have already proven your desire to succeed with your excellent work from the looks of the photos.

There are hundreds of fathers and grandfathers on the forum to help you succeed although none can replace your DAD.

You have nothing to fear but fear it's self. You can completely restore that car a little at a time and your only challenge will be the money because the knowledge will come with each new project you take on. You are young and will earn more as you grow older. You will make mistakes, but none will be fatal. The car will not leave you if you do not leave it. Drive it and enjoy it. Restore it as your budget will allow.

Welcome to the forum. If you cannot afford the manuals that the upper class members deem as cheap and easy to buy, don't spend the money, but ask the OLD FARTS to help. Most will, as will I.

Let us know what part of the country you are in and you may find a dozen or more OLD, OLD, GEARHEADS willing to help you in any way they can show up at your door just to keep the love of the old cars alive.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:09 AM
Livewild
Instructor

Im down here in "sunny" south Florida, unfortunately it hasnt been to sunny. But that gives me some more time to work on the car. My next small project is polishing the valve covers, step by step it is coming along.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:04 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Welcome to the Forum. You've done a good job already, actually much more than many members have done themselves. You're learning as you go, which is the way almost everyone else has done. Your fearless approach will serve you well. Keep the stories and pictures coming. There are a bunch of "lurkers" who enjoy these adventures.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:45 AM
DUBS66
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With. A little TLC these cars will. Bring endless smiles not just from you but from others who take the time to appreciate it. As a matter of fact your pop is probably smiling right now.
Don't let project creep keep you from taking the car out and enjoying it. Thats where the biggest smiles come from.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:44 AM
RoadKing96
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What a great story. I am certain that your Dad would be extremely proud of you, as I am certain a bunch of us old Vette guys here are.

One of the things some of us wonder is who is going to pick up the mantle and keep these beauties alive and thriving as we pass on. It is refreshing to read of your enthusiasm.

I have been 'slowly' working a Frame Off Restoration on my '64 and it's sometimes very hard to find the motivation. Your story has motivated me to once again get busy so I can leave a running Vette to my daughter or one of my grand-children. I just hope and pray that maybe one of them will have your inspiration and it will be left to someone who cares as much as you do....

Thanks so much,
RK
Old 05-29-2017, 02:24 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Welcome to the forum.

I'm now the owner of my dad's 1961, which he purchased new. Here is a link to my story from back in 2012: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-barn-car.html

The experience of working on the car with my son has been more rewarding than I would have ever imagined.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:14 PM
Livewild
Instructor

Every car has a story and they always amaze me.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:03 PM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Did you tell us what you have done with the brakes on the car?
Keep up the good work, you have demonstrated the will to make the Corvette whole again

Get notified of new replies

To A story that needs to be told

Old 05-30-2017, 06:42 PM
Livewild
Instructor

Originally Posted by solidaxel
Did you tell us what you have done with the brakes on the car?
Keep up the good work, you have demonstrated the will to make the Corvette whole again
The brakes i haven't messed with. Im assuming they have some sort of conversion to them because it is disk breaks all the way around. I did want to do something to the canister but the paint I put on it keeps degrading over a few days.

Last edited by Livewild; 05-30-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:49 PM
JLMICCA
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Great story and great work you are doing. I wanted to give a little tip as you go forward. I noticed that you still have some blue painter's tape on the body surrounding your prior paint work. I just wanted to mention you may want to get that off sooner than later. Many of the blue tape brands will mention on the label that they are designed to be removed within a week or two tops. I have learned the hard way not to leave it in place any longer than necessary. Go very slow removing what you have there. It would be a shame to lift any of that pretty red paint. You may even consider using a mild solvent like goof off or WD 40 (after testing it on an inconspicuous area of paint first). Good luck with your project!
Old 05-31-2017, 01:01 AM
Livewild
Instructor

Originally Posted by JLMICCA
Great story and great work you are doing. I wanted to give a little tip as you go forward. I noticed that you still have some blue painter's tape on the body surrounding your prior paint work. I just wanted to mention you may want to get that off sooner than later. Many of the blue tape brands will mention on the label that they are designed to be removed within a week or two tops. I have learned the hard way not to leave it in place any longer than necessary. Go very slow removing what you have there. It would be a shame to lift any of that pretty red paint. You may even consider using a mild solvent like goof off or WD 40 (after testing it on an inconspicuous area of paint first). Good luck with your project!
Jez, thanks for the tip! I never would have thought that painters tape had a time limit on it. I was planning on leaving It on there until I reinstalled the hood.

Quick Reply: A story that needs to be told