C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 GelCOAT Brand

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 06:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert61
This is a pic of the fender on my car I've been soda blasting. You can see 2 coats of paint and 2 of primer. You see the gel coat still completely in tact after blasting all of the paint off. Looks to be like gel coat is a superior barrier. I was curious about any chemical bond when applying gel coat over cured polyester. From my reading I see that there is only a mechanical bond after the original glass has cured. you an look at the pic a draw your own conclusion as to which material is a better barrier. I'm going to replace this previous repair because it is a very poor quality repair.
You are aware that the panel that has been stripped (if factory) is not gelcoated.

CORRECT...ANY product that is applied to this surface would be a MECHANICAL BOND.

There is nothing wrong with a mechanical bond being required versus chemical bond.

DUB
Old 06-06-2017, 07:40 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

The gray in the pic is gel coat. It's a hand laid replacement nose. I took the pic to show the gel coat with stood the soda blasting in tact. If you look at the front and top you can see where the gel coat is sanded through.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:20 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Edit:

DUB: I like pie.

I am done stirring the pot.

Benton

Last edited by ChattanoogaJSB; 06-07-2017 at 08:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DUB (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 06:05 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Gelcoat was the first product I ever sprayed out of a spray gun. Worked fine and not all that difficult. I almost did lose my gun with one load due to rising temps but got it cleaned out OK. Acetone is your friend.

And I was glad I covered everything, and I mean everything including the floor with visqueen for overspray. After getting through the cure wax film it sanded fine and keeping lines sharp was no problem - mine are much sharper and straighter now than when I purchased the car due to prior paint jobs. I used Slicksand on my Cobra and except for dealing with the wax on the Ecklers gelcoat, it's about half a dozen of one and six of the other. I think the old Featherfill pretty much falls in this general group too.

For my 1/2 cents worth, on a C2 I would still use gelcoat over a body that has had a lot of repairs, had panel contamination or panel replacement. If I was fortunate enough to have a nearly virgin body with no issues I would probably use epoxy. Don't know about a C1 as they have their own issues but it seems to me that Gelcoat would definitely be the way to go with one of them that is showing signs of surface degrading.

I will say Gelcoat was way oversold by some back in the 80s. I remember reading magazine articles that said you don't even have to fix stress cracks with Gelcoat - it will cover and seal them up and they won't come back. Snake oil body shops and magazine writers.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 06-07-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

The gray in the pic is gel coat. It's a hand laid replacement nose. I took the pic to show the gel coat with stood the soda blasting in tact. If you look at the front and top you can see where the gel coat is sanded through.
Thank you for clarifying it.

I will say that... you are bold as heck in soda blasting your car. To each his/her own. ALL I will add...and I am sure you more than likely have looked into this...is to contact the tech department of the manufacturer of what you plan on applying on the soda blasted body panels first and see what they recommend you do to make sure the adhesion is there and any of the possible remaining salts area all gone to make sure what you applied adheres.

DUB
Old 06-07-2017, 07:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I will say Gelcoat was way oversold by some back in the 80s. I remember reading magazine articles that said you don't even have to fix stress cracks with Gelcoat - it will cover and seal them up and they won't come back. Snake oil body shops and magazine writers.
Just goes to show you that not everyone knew what they were talking about. Just because it made it to print does not make it right....it is all about magazine sales....often times...not every time but often times it is.
And that is what a correction or retraction is used for in the next months issue. And the funny thing is that so many other things have changed in how things are done that what was done back then is looked at as foolish and NOT done any longer like that.

DUB
Old 06-07-2017, 08:15 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Thank you for clarifying it.

I will say that... you are bold as heck in soda blasting your car. To each his/her own. ALL I will add...and I am sure you more than likely have looked into this...is to contact the tech department of the manufacturer of what you plan on applying on the soda blasted body panels first and see what they recommend you do to make sure the adhesion is there and any of the possible remaining salts area all gone to make sure what you applied adheres.

DUB
I'm going to wash this thing with soap and water and then lacquer thinner so many times nothing should be able to stay on it. I tried scraping and stripper but with 4 paint jobs on it I wasn't gonna live long enough to finish either of those. I have a 66 GTO that had the doors fenders and trunk soda blasted. No issues with it. I will say in my research for neutralizing the soda John Z and others say just water does it. There won't be many places for it to hide. I have the rocker supports out, I'm replacing the hood surround, and changing the quarters to the wider GTS ones. It's pretty wide open.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:30 PM
DUB
Race Director

I'm going to wash this thing with soap and water and then lacquer thinner so many times nothing should be able to stay on it. I tried scraping and stripper but with 4 paint jobs on it I wasn't gonna live long enough to finish either of those. I have a 66 GTO that had the doors fenders and trunk soda blasted. No issues with it. I will say in my research for neutralizing the soda John Z and others say just water does it. There won't be many places for it to hide. I have the rocker supports out, I'm replacing the hood surround, and changing the quarters to the wider GTS ones. It's pretty wide open.
As long as you are aware and have an attack plan to get the fiberglass prepped for the next step.

DUB

Quick Reply: C1 GelCOAT Brand