C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 11:46 PM
Johnny 66
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default C2 Brakes

Had signs my right rear caliper was leaking, and last time I drove it, braking was really scary. Granted, I don't drive it enough, it's a garage queen, and I have too many other hobbies.

Swapped out the rear calipers today with a buddy, a real motorhead. Couldn't get left side to bleed. Finally discovered there was no flow past the connector end of the rubber hose where it connects to the block. With the line off the block, good flow coming out of the block.

I'll order new hoses and lines tomorrow.

Always something with these things.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:09 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

I have a friend that did a conversion to front discs on his 68 Camaro. The kit came with new hoses. The hoses had a metal band crimped on in the center of each hose.
After installing the kit, he could not get the car to stop straight, pulled to the left. Took it to another friend, professional mechanic for 40+ years. After many hours bleeding and trouble shooting, he cut the metal bands off of the hoses with a cutting wheel. Resolved the problem, but he installed new hoses (with no bands) anyway.

I don't know what the bands were to do??? Wear protection for contact with the spindles or an orifice restriction??? Someone might know. But they were restricting the flow to one side more than the other. You could see the reduction in the hose diameter under the bands.

Just something to look at if you have problems after replacing the hoses. I would do both rear at the same time.

Last edited by R66; 05-29-2017 at 07:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny 66 (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 08:25 PM
Johnny 66
Instructor

don't see a vendor where I can buy only the rear rubber lines. Guess i'll have to buy all 4. For the hard lines, I can get just the rears.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:42 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Why don't you just trot down to the corner auto parts place with your old hose(s) in hand and but whatever you need to match what's on your car?
Old 05-30-2017, 08:03 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
Why don't you just trot down to the corner auto parts place with your old hose(s) in hand and but whatever you need to match what's on your car?
Unless you are a numbers matching NCRS car person, I would go to NAPA or other parts stores and you might be able to pick up the hoses (if you have not already ordered them) for about the same price as the on-line vendors.

I had to replace the hoses on the front of R66 as the left one collapsed internally, they had one in stock, but had to order another one in. I like to buy local for our DRIVER car when I can at a reasonable price difference.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:32 PM
Johnny 66
Instructor

I ordered them from Mid America. At least I'll have the fronts if and when I need them.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Brakes

Quick Reply: C2 Brakes