C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stolen 65 Corvette Found After 36 Years

Old 06-06-2017, 12:50 PM
Corvette Forum Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Default Stolen 65 Corvette Found After 36 Years

Decades later, the Stingray turned up as a 500-horsepower, race-inspired hot rod, much to the surprise of the original owner.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
Old 06-06-2017, 01:37 PM
Brian VH McHale
CF Senior Member

For an Editor you are late to the game again.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:39 PM
DZAUTO
CF Senior Member

2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Yes, I read that.
Good thing it was not me, because I am a vindictive SOB. I would make it a life long mission to run down the original thief and catch him unsuspecting and stomp him into a bloody spot in the street.
As a result of my personality, I have very few friends, but those I have are totally friends.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:15 PM
Mike Terry
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
Yes, I read that.
Good thing it was not me, because I am a vindictive SOB. I would make it a life long mission to run down the original thief and catch him unsuspecting and stomp him into a bloody spot in the street.
As a result of my personality, I have very few friends, but those I have are totally friends.
Sounds like what I would do also.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:54 PM
Railroadman
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-19

Good example for the guy with the '60 which had a fictional VIN. Theft recoveries DO happen decades later sometimes.

What the linked article does not mention is who had the car for sale, how THEY came into possession of it, and who gets the car now. If the insurance co. paid off the victim back in 1981, it's now THEIR car, not the guy who it was stolen from.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:46 PM
vettebuyer6369

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Thanked 1,550 Times in 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian VH McHale View Post
I want to know why they absolutely refuse to spell Sting Ray correctly.
The Following User Says Thank You to vettebuyer6369 For This Useful Post:
Brian VH McHale (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 05:04 PM
wmf62
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '07

consistently, and often with wrong info....

Bill
Old 06-06-2017, 05:39 PM
BR69
CF Senior Member

I was wondering the exact same thing.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:12 PM
65 Hardnoks
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Railroadman View Post
Good example for the guy with the '60 which had a fictional VIN. Theft recoveries DO happen decades later sometimes.

What the linked article does not mention is who had the car for sale, how THEY came into possession of it, and who gets the car now. If the insurance co. paid off the victim back in 1981, it's now THEIR car, not the guy who it was stolen from.
Statute of limitations?
Old 06-06-2017, 11:05 PM
Railroadman
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 65 Hardnoks View Post
Statute of limitations?
I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. But if I am correct the statute of limitations would (or could?) apply to criminal prosecution of the crook who stole it. But the ownership of the car would be a civil matter. If the insurance company wrote the guy a check for his loss in 1981, I would think the victim thus gave his right to the property to the insurance company. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

If there is an attorney or insurance professional who feels that is incorrect, I'll gladly pay attention and learn.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:06 AM
ndabunka
CF Member

Originally Posted by Railroadman View Post
I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. But if I am correct the statute of limitations would (or could?) apply to criminal prosecution of the crook who stole it. But the ownership of the car would be a civil matter. If the insurance company wrote the guy a check for his loss in 1981, I would think the victim thus gave his right to the property to the insurance company. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

If there is an attorney or insurance professional who feels that is incorrect, I'll gladly pay attention and learn.
It looks like you didn't read the article. It was a project car so he didn't have it insured at the time so...

Last edited by ndabunka; 06-07-2017 at 01:08 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:30 AM
Railroadman
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
It looks like you didn't read the article. It was a project car so he didn't have it insured at the time so...
You are correct, I clicked the link on here, it took me to that page, skimmed PART of the article, I clicked on the link there which said "See what they are saying about this" which took me right back here - so I abandoned the effort! It said something about it was one of the few times he parked it outside so I ***-u-me-d it was drivable (and thus, insured).
Old 06-09-2017, 03:23 AM
rnixon
CF Senior Member

Just thinking others reading this post,especially DZAUTO might enjoy my experience, when my c2 was stolen. It may seem strange but I still "enjoy" those memories
Sept. 1976. My daily driver, 67 427 stolen on a Sunday afternoon from the parking lot of the county fair. Recovered 5 days later, a little over one hundred miles away in New Haven CT. Got a call from Sgt. Alvin Murphy, New Haven PD. My car had been recovered ,and 2 suspects arrested in the act of abandoning the body in a wooded area, and my car was being held for me at the police impound yard
. Murphy informed me that information from the 2 suspects led them to a chop shop and he was able to recover my engine and transmission. I quickly learned that Sgt. Murphy was a car guy, bless his heart, when he told me he gathered up everything that looked like it belonged to a corvette and those parts would be at the impound yard as well.
Two days later I borrowed a flatbed, and with a friend following me in his pick-up we headed for New Haven .I arrived at the impound yard at about 2 in the afternoon after identifying myself the yard attendant said he had orders to notify Sgt.. Murphy when I arrived. Fifteen minutes later I was shaking the hand of a big burly Irishman who said he was going to help me load up and then we were going to the chop shop. My engine and trans had been removed, the wheels and tires [Crager SS mags & Mohawk tires ] had been removed but they had been recovered by Murphy, the rear suspension was intact and there were wheels an tires on the car [ 4 DC rally wheels ] the car had been stripped of most of the bolt on stuff,but thankfully there was no malicious damage other than severed wires and loading up went quick.
Sgt. Murphy said the State Police had taken over the case, but he had friends on the force , and a couple of State Troopers would meet us at the chop shop. The shop was a 4 bay building in a rundown section of the city and the State Police were waiting when we arrived Murphy had told them he was sure there were other parts that belonged to me and they were giving me an opportunity to go through everything. I found just about everything taken off the car, and Murphy continued to help me load things up. One of the State troopers said " most of this stuff is never going to be claimed so take anything else you want " By now I considered Sgt. Murphy a friend, and I looked at him and said, Anything?? he laughed and replied Anything!
I didn't take any of the parts that belonged to other car theft victims. I did take everything that belonged to the thieves. I took all their air, hand ,and power tools, 2 big Snap-on boxes, I took cutting torches, a Miller welder, a big Matco roll-away cabinet that had to weigh close to 500lbs. I took anything and everything that belonged to the thieves until we ran out of room on both trucks, and the State Troopers helped us load the heavy stuff, and for those wondering, yes we did fill the cabs of both trucks. Had I only known I would have brought a Big Rig , and I could have taken their lifts and the 15 Hp. compressor.
The insurance settlement was a paltry $1,280. not a lot of money even in 1976, but since I had thousands of dollars in tools and equipment and I haven't had to buy a tool in over 40 years I see it as a wash. My only regret is I didn't ask Sgt. Murphy if I could come back the next day for the lifts and compressor. I still have the feeling he would have said, " Sure! what time"
I still have the car, it's the one in my avatar and there's no evidence it's ever been mistreated.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rnixon For This Useful Post:
6T5RUSH (06-09-2017), carlisle61 (06-09-2017), ptjsk (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 09:22 AM
Crunch527
CF Senior Member

Just who is this "Forum Editor?" Consistently brings incomplete info and is late to need...
Old 06-09-2017, 01:24 PM
kolsen911
CF Senior Member

My 65 coupe was stolen 32 years ago, I keep hoping!!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2017, 04:49 PM
Railroadman
CF Senior Member

rnixon, cool story! I hope that once you got the car back together, you looked up Sgt Murphy and took him for a ride in it!
Old 06-09-2017, 05:19 PM
427Hotrod
CF Senior Member

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I had a '64 convertible in the late 70's/early 80's. I had bought and sold it a couple of times and the last time it ended up on a local used car lot. They had it and another 'Vette sitting out front... nose to nose looking cool.

I noticed it was gone one day and kept an eye out for it locally...but never saw it again. Assumed it left town.

Then one day about 4 mos later I got a call from the Police that they had recovered "my" car! I was running outside to ck to see if my current '69 SS Chevelle was still there when they told me it was the 'Vette. Apparently it had been stolen off the lot and stashed somewhere in S. TX. They caught the thieves trying to get it across the border into Mexico. The dealer had never transferred the title and it was still in my name. Of course my evil side was thinking "Hot dog....free 'Vette!!". But I told them it wasn't actually mine anymore (since of course the local dealer would see me riding around in it!).

When it made it back to the dealer...I went to ck on it. The thieves apparently couldn't figure out how to get the headlights open with the rocker switch..or to manually roll them open...so they pried on them. The broke one housing. And they weren't good with a clutch either..it was smoked and would hardly move the car.

I ended up buying it back once more. I was getting married in a few weeks and my bride to be was bummed that we would be taking the Chevelle instead of the 'Vette on the honeymoon since I didn't have enough $$$ to put a clutch in it yet after buying it! (getting married is expensive for a young dude!).

Finally sold it one more time...but I've had a few since then. Kept the last C2 for 21 years...it's not going anywhere!

JIM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stolen 65 Corvette Found After 36 Years

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: