C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Incompetent Rave

Old 06-09-2017, 08:59 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 929 Likes on 531 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Incompetent Rave

I gotta worry about todays young people that work at places like Midas, Jiffy Lube, Kwik Lube, Meineke, etc.

My friend just installed front disc brakes on his 59 and carefully drove it down the street to a Midas dealer to have it properly and professionally bled. It was a joke, came back worse than before! Should have known he was in trouble when the guy started to remove the hubcap to do the job! And these are the people that specialize in doing brakes! Makes you feel real safe, huh!

This is why us old farts have to learn and work on our cars. Thank God for this forum and all you knowledgeable guys!
Old 06-09-2017, 09:01 AM
Big Hit
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 59BlueSilver
I gotta worry about todays young people that work at places like Midas, Jiffy Lube, Kwik Lube, Meineke, etc.

My friend just installed front disc brakes on his 59 and carefully drove it down the street to a Midas dealer to have it properly and professionally bled. It was a joke, came back worse than before! Should have known he was in trouble when the guy started to remove the hubcap to do the job! And these are the people that specialize in doing brakes! Makes you feel real safe, huh!

This is why us old farts have to learn and work on our cars. Thank God for this forum and all you knowledgeable guys!
I wouldn't take a bicycle to the above mentioned!
The following users liked this post:
Brian VH McHale (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 09:11 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,008 Likes on 573 Posts

Your friend did all the hard work putting front disc brakes on a 59
Bleeding the system is the easier part especially if you get over there and work the brake pedal for him.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:24 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by phil2302
Your friend did all the hard work putting front disc brakes on a 59
Bleeding the system is the easier part especially if you get over there and work the brake pedal for him.
I did, and according to him, they work great!
Old 06-09-2017, 09:26 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

I did, and according to him, they work great!
Good friend and good work!
Old 06-09-2017, 09:29 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Speaking of bleeding brakes, being by myself, I've always used the jar filled with brake fluid, pump a few times and close the port. But that was just replacing a wheel cylinder. I know they have fancy gadgets that may do a better job, but would this method work on a total brake rebuild?
Old 06-09-2017, 09:35 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

You think they are bad with brakes, dont ever show them your carb.

Had to have an emissions test on a car with a carb and the guy had no idea what to do with it.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:44 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
You think they are bad with brakes, dont ever show them your carb.

Had to have an emissions test on a car with a carb and the guy had no idea what to do with it.
Yeah, ran into that, too. If they can't hook up a computer to it, they're lost!
Old 06-09-2017, 09:44 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Speaking of bleeding brakes, being by myself, I've always used the jar filled with brake fluid, pump a few times and close the port. But that was just replacing a wheel cylinder. I know they have fancy gadgets that may do a better job, but would this method work on a total brake rebuild?
Yeah sure when working solo I use the bottle or jar with a tube into it and also use a stick wedged between the driver seat and the brake pedal to hold the pedal down tight after pumping it while you go back to the bleeder to tighten it.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:46 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by phil2302
Yeah sure when working solo I use the bottle or jar with a tube into it and also use a stick wedged between the driver seat and the brake pedal to hold the pedal down tight after pumping it while you go back to the bleeder to tighten it.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:36 AM
After38Years
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Wouldn't even have an oil change done at Jiffy Lube..

Many years ago I was having my oil changed regularly at Jiffy Lube for the family Oldsmobile.

My son, having his first car, had me show him what to do to change oil. After he had completed his car (and wearing a good amount of 10W30) asked me if he wanted me to change the oil in the family buggy. Sure!!

He came back to me after about 15 minutes and asked what kind of special wrench was used on the Olds. Just a socket or box end wrench I assured him. Back again - "doesn't work" he said. Slid under the car with him to find the drain plug rounded off to the point the wrenches wouldn't turn it.

Jiffy Lube had obviously equipped their "techs" with a set of vice grips. This was back when they only did lubes and oil changes. If you don't have the proper tools for your core business, should you be in that business?

Not a big deal, a few bucks at the FLAPS for a new drain plug, but never again to JL.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:45 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

It may not be fair to run them all down, but how do you know! Another Vette buddy owns a Kwik Kar place and I've used them to charge my Vintage Air system and to do a wheel alignment. He put his best guy(same guy) on both jobs, don't know about the rest, and both came out great, no complaints!
Old 06-09-2017, 10:50 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

My friend just installed front disc brakes on his 59 and carefully drove it down the street to a Midas dealer to have it properly and professionally bled.
My first thought when I read this is why a guy that just put disc brakes on his Corvette would need to carefully drive a car somewhere to get the brakes properly and professionally bled?

Not to mention the bad judgement he used in driving a car with no brakes on a public highway?
Old 06-09-2017, 12:04 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MikeM
My first thought when I read this is why a guy that just put disc brakes on his Corvette would need to carefully drive a car somewhere to get the brakes properly and professionally bled?

Not to mention the bad judgement he used in driving a car with no brakes on a public highway?
It was only a block away and he had enough brakes to stop, you just had to stand on it. He thought the "professionals" could do a better job and do it faster. I thought the same, why do you have a problem with it?
Old 06-09-2017, 01:37 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I thought the same, why do you have a problem with it?
Maybe you should re-read what you quoted until it becomes clear to you what my first thought was when you posted your tale of woe?

I also thought that a guy that couldn't bleed brakes probably shouldn't be attempting to change the brake system on his car to something it wasn't designed for. Maybe you should check his work?

But I didn't want to say that.

Last edited by MikeM; 06-09-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:53 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by After38Years
Many years ago I was having my oil changed regularly at Jiffy Lube for the family Oldsmobile.

My son, having his first car, had me show him what to do to change oil. After he had completed his car (and wearing a good amount of 10W30) asked me if he wanted me to change the oil in the family buggy. Sure!!

He came back to me after about 15 minutes and asked what kind of special wrench was used on the Olds. Just a socket or box end wrench I assured him. Back again - "doesn't work" he said. Slid under the car with him to find the drain plug rounded off to the point the wrenches wouldn't turn it.

Jiffy Lube had obviously equipped their "techs" with a set of vice grips. This was back when they only did lubes and oil changes. If you don't have the proper tools for your core business, should you be in that business?

Not a big deal, a few bucks at the FLAPS for a new drain plug, but never again to JL.

I used to go to Jiffy lube many many years ago. I always watched while they would do a LO&F to be sure that kinda crap didn't happen.

However, the LAST time I used them, I was waiting by the bay before they were to get to my El Camino next. While standing there I noticed a line of oil or fluid going from the front of the bay all the way around to the back of the building so, I followed it. It ended at a cars differential that they just serviced. Someone forgot to put the F'n plug back in!

I told the so called "manager" who thanked me profusely then, went back to REALLY watch my vehicle being done. When it was ready I got in to leave, turned on my radio and, found that some clown thought it'd be cute to change all the presets! Went back in, told the "manager" about it and have never been back to one since.

Never have, nor will I ever use, Midas. Their "touch", IMO is pure FOOLS gold!

Gary
Old 06-09-2017, 02:53 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 160 Likes on 121 Posts

OP said disc brakes just installed on the car. That often requires some additional steps other than the simple bleeding methods

Get notified of new replies

To Incompetent Rave

Old 06-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

You get what you pay for. Those places are about cheap and easy turnaround using quite often a low level of training for their employees.

That doesn't mean that everybody that works at one of those places is bad, but the odds are not on your side.

I can personally detail almost a dozen "JiffyMidasMeineke" horror stories that have happened to close acquaintances.

Just say no. You're playing the lottery with your car with a low return on investment.

Find a competent mechanic - particularly for older, more valuable cars.

YMMV
Old 06-09-2017, 04:23 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by GCD1962
OP said disc brakes just installed on the car. That often requires some additional steps other than the simple bleeding methods
Uh. Yeah. And those Midas guys know all about disc brake conversions on classic Corvettes.

This is like removimg a brain brain tumor from your own head and going to the Urgent Care so they can close the incision.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 06-09-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:39 PM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

This thread reminds me of a forum member who took his classic to one of these grease monkeys for service, and they pumped the brake bleeders full of grease! My mom took her Datsun to one back in 70s, jerks FORGOT to put oil in and fried her engine! My wife (before we met) took her Pinto ( yeah, I know) in and some tool left the old oil filter gasket on - poor car died a slow death.
As long as I can see and crawl I will stay away from those places!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Incompetent Rave