C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Steering column to steering box alignment question.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:43 AM
ganshert
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Steering column to steering box alignment question.

65 small block convertible

Do you know that you have your body in the exact correct position left to right when the steering column shaft lines up with the steering box shaft or is there a procedure for adjusting the column left to right?

I'm a little off and trying to figure out why. I haven't had any luck with the Service Manual or AIM and all searches here come up with different steering box and or steering column issues.

thanks

Old 06-15-2017, 11:46 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I'm not near my home computer (so no picture access) but .. are you sure that rag joint is assembled properly ??? Something is definitely funky...
Old 06-15-2017, 01:46 PM
rene-paul
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Under the cluster is where the steering column is attached to the support structure. There is a u-bolt and two brackets . The bracket that bolts to the structure is not adjustable. The u-bolt and bracket is adjustable left and right. The engine firewall side has the seal bracket which clamps the column. This is adjustable up and down. A small adjustment at the column will give you more left or right movement at the rag joint. That said be careful as the cluster and the escutcheon are delicate pieces. Might want to remove the screws that attach the escutcheon to the cluster. Be gentle. Keep us informed. BTW, follow the proper procedures for rag joint and steering shaft install.
The following users liked this post:
ganshert (06-17-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 03:25 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Here is a picture of the parts involved.

https://cdn3.volusion.com/ekutc.vrls...jpg?1495527359

Don't know about mid year Corvette but the cars/trucks I do know about, the body was decked and tied down before the steering column was put in. Adequate adjustment to align was there.
The following users liked this post:
ganshert (06-17-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Steering column to steering box alignment question.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C2] Steering column to steering box alignment question.