C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Pix Wanted of Hand Laid Hood

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 04:21 PM
TCKT B8
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 & '11

Default Pix Wanted of Hand Laid Hood

I'm looking to purchase a 65 big block hood. Would someone please post pictures of both sides of a hand laid fiberglass hood - doesn't have to be the big block hood. I'm just curious if they look finished on the underside or like the inside of the hull on a fiberglass boat.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:33 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Default Glass

Like the inside of a boat that someone tried to smooth out but didn't get all the nooks n crannies. But some vendors still sell raw backside like a boat.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:56 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

In another post you were talking about a repaint coat for a 67, now in this post you are asking for a 65 big block hood. What exactly are you trying to do? There is a paint and body section of the forum that might get you more views on these sort of topics.

yes hand laid looks like an inside of a boat and in my opinion has no use in a mid year vette. Press molded glass is what you want. Be aware that even NOS pressmolded glass hoods are different than the factory right off the assembly like hoods.
The following users liked this post:
TCKT B8 (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 08:59 PM
TCKT B8
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09 & '11

Originally Posted by 4 Speed Dave
In another post you were talking about a repaint coat for a 67, now in this post you are asking for a 65 big block hood. What exactly are you trying to do? There is a paint and body section of the forum that might get you more views on these sort of topics.

yes hand laid looks like an inside of a boat and in my opinion has no use in a mid year vette. Press molded glass is what you want. Be aware that even NOS pressmolded glass hoods are different than the factory right off the assembly like hoods.
You've got me confused with someone else. I've never asked about a repaint code. I just simply want to see what the back side of hand laid fiberglass piece looks like!
Old 06-27-2017, 10:09 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

You are correct I goofed, the other guy I was thinking of also had a yellow late model in his avatar. My bad.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:53 PM
65GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

I bought (among other parts) a hand laid hood for my 62 're-nose' project in am in the process of from J+D Fiberglass. I am very happy indeed with the quality of their hood. i will take some pics of both sides and post them.. maybe later tonight.

As an aside... My project does not need to be 'to original standards'.. I am just looking to make a decent driver for my wife that most casual observers will think is a pretty nice car. For my purposes, the hand laid re-nose items will work perfectly. Many will 'dis' the hand laid parts, but I think it is unfair to do so. They more than have their place. Not every 'project' has to have an end game of dumping a boat load of $$$ into them to look more 'factory'. In fact... 99.99999 % of the public, even the car enthusiast / hobbyist crowd, would never know if they were looking at a factory panel or not, as long as the body and paint work was executed well. In the end, if one sells a car, it is likely that 99.999999% population group is the one that is going to buy it anyway. My 2 cents in advance is do not get jaundiced by other's opinions on not using hand laid parts as you evaluate the parts. The corvette purists may be able to tell the diff in a heartbeat.. but 99.99999% of the people will not know the diff.

Cheers - Jim

Updated with pics. The pic with my hand is to give you some perspective on how course (or fine) the glass mesh is. It is really not a bad texture at all.

Last edited by 65GTO; 06-28-2017 at 04:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TCKT B8 (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 04:26 PM
TCKT B8
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09 & '11

Originally Posted by 65GTO
I bought (among other parts) a hand laid hood for my 62 're-nose' project in am in the process of from J+D Fiberglass. I am very happy indeed with the quality of their hood. i will take some pics of both sides and post them.. maybe later tonight.

As an aside... My project does not need to be 'to original standards'.. I am just looking to make a decent driver for my wife that most casual observers will think is a pretty nice car. For my purposes, the hand laid re-nose items will work perfectly. Many will 'dis' the hand laid parts, but I think it is unfair to do so. They more than have their place. Not every 'project' has to have an end game of dumping a boat load of $$$ into them to look more 'factory'. In fact... 99.99999 % of the public, even the car enthusiast / hobbyist crowd, would never know if they were looking at a factory panel or not, as long as the body and paint work was executed well. In the end, if one sells a car, it is likely that 99.999999% population group is the one that is going to buy it anyway. My 2 cents in advance is do not get jaundiced by other's opinions on not using hand laid parts as you evaluate the parts. The corvette purists may be able to tell the diff in a heartbeat.. but 99.99999% of the people will not know the diff.

Cheers - Jim

Updated with pics. The pic with my hand is to give you some perspective on how course (or fine) the glass mesh is. It is really not a bad texture at all.

Many thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'm not looking for an NCRS restoration, but I do care what he underside of the hood looks like. Your pieces look pretty good - much better than I had envisioned.

Last edited by TCKT B8; 06-28-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:41 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

If you are up to work, you can sand that rough texture down, fill in places that need it, paint and it will look like a press molded. I did that to a 58 hood and it turned out nice. Did require a lot more work due to the lovers.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:05 PM
65GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

To add to what Moxie stated, a number of people 'smooth' the underside to create the press molded look if you want to go that route.

Yes. with the louvers I bet there was some additional work !

But for most, it is simply a matter of some sanding with a DA, first lightly with 80 grit, then 120 grit, then just applying some high build 2k primer to fill in what is left. Not much 'added' work at all really, as you will need to scuff and prime the inside anyway before painting it with the matt black.

But no hesitations at all recommending J+D Fiberglass. I worked with 'Frank Garcia' there placing my orders and order follow up. Good guy.. tell him Jim with the 62 re-nose job recommended them to you. Might get me some 'brownie points' on my next order with them

Get notified of new replies

To Pix Wanted of Hand Laid Hood

Quick Reply: [C2] Pix Wanted of Hand Laid Hood