C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hydraulic Clutch recommendations for C2

Old 06-28-2017, 05:36 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,920 Likes on 4,770 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by wmf62
no they are not... they are expensive, they can leak, they are often slow reacting, and on and on...

Bill
and makes something so simple into something complex with more parts to go wrong
Old 06-28-2017, 05:42 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
and makes something so simple into something complex with more parts to go wrong
That's completely foolish, they are not complex at all. I bet you still have a flip phone because the new phones are too complex.
I was hesitant also when I was waffling between mechanical linkage and hydraulic. Now that I've seen and used both I wouldn't go back to mechanical.

Last edited by biggd; 06-28-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:49 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
i'd just as soon buy you a beer and BS rather than argue..

the ONLY personal problem experience I have had with a hydraulic clutch is with a MGA. the slave cylinder piston pushed out, hence no clutch..

only other use was a 93 ranger pickup, but I was appalled that you had to pull the transmission if you had problems...

I agree, if one doesn't have a problem, then there is no problem.. but, given the choice, I will never use one

Bill
The external slave is tricky. If you don't get it set up just right, the pushrod will blow out. I know there were a lot of problems several years ago with the hydraulic throw out bearing kits that were offered from some manufacturers, but just like everything else, technology has advanced.
I'll extend and open offer for you to try out my cars with the hydraulic clutch kits and Ill even buy the beer.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:50 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,920 Likes on 4,770 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by biggd
That's completely foolish, they are not complex at all. I bet you still have a flip phone because the new phones are too complex.
I was hesitant also when I was waffling between mechanical linkage and hydraulic. Now that I've seen and used both I wouldn't go back to mechanical.
you would be wrong again.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:54 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
you would be wrong again.
Well it's not the first time and won't be the last.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:00 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 65silververt
The external slave is tricky. If you don't get it set up just right, the pushrod will blow out. I know there were a lot of problems several years ago with the hydraulic throw out bearing kits that were offered from some manufacturers, but just like everything else, technology has advanced.
I'll extend and open offer for you to try out my cars with the hydraulic clutch kits and Ill even buy the beer.
I didn't use a kit on mine. I went with the T56 trans with the factory slave on it from a 1996 Z28 Camaro. I agree about the aftermarket kits, many have problems. I really don't know much about the other trans you mentioned. I just like the fact that if I do have a problem with mine everything is external and available at the local parts store. I don't have a full blown resto-mod. I built my car on a budget so anything I could get from a scrap yard, like the engine and trans, was a bargain. I hope I don't jinx myself but I've had no issues for 4 years now.

Last edited by biggd; 06-28-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:53 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 471 Posts

So my original post wasn't for folks to discuss the merits of the stock c2 type over hydraulic or the reverse, it was for folks who have used the hydraulic to offer recommendations.... And I am surprised I didn't get more suggestions on different set ups to use....
Old 06-29-2017, 04:58 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by vjjack04
So my original post wasn't for folks to discuss the merits of the stock c2 type over hydraulic or the reverse, it was for folks who have used the hydraulic to offer recommendations.... And I am surprised I didn't get more suggestions on different set ups to use....
yes, postings do seem to morph or get hijacked; and i'm often guilty of that...

but you did get some good advice, even if SOME of it is on what not to use....

Bill
Old 06-29-2017, 07:23 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

There are quite a few Resto-mod builders on this sight that have much more experience in this than I do but they are building show quality cars and money is usually not an issue.
That's not me, I built my custom car from scratch on a budget. I searched scrap yards for parts, and what I couldn't find I made. I built a modern driver not a show car. I wanted something with more creature comforts than were available back in the 60's but not so high tech that it took away from the feel of an old ride. It's still a work in progress and it always will be.
So it all depends on what your end game is. Good luck with your ride which ever way you decide to go.

Last edited by biggd; 06-29-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:57 AM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

I have the American Powertrain system on my 5-speed - works smoothly and trouble free for the last 5 years - just saying.....
Love technology !!!!
Old 06-29-2017, 02:59 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dcaggiani
I have the American Powertrain system on my 5-speed - works smoothly and trouble free for the last 5 years - just saying.....
Love technology !!!!

Thanks, that's two votes for American Powertrain. Its funny some a so down oh the hydraulic systems. All newer vettes have had them for years. I had about 600hp in my C5 and never had problem "speed shifting" that car.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:06 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Thanks, that's two votes for American Powertrain. Its funny some a so down oh the hydraulic systems. All newer vettes have had them for years. I had about 600hp in my C5 and never had problem "speed shifting" that car.
Speed shifting and power shifting are two different things.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:03 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 68hemi
I don't see why a hydraulic unit wouldn't work the same as a manual unit if installed correctly. I can't confirm that because my power shifting days are well behind me. I try to avoid breaking things and power shifting a C2 Corvette with a stock rear end and big tires makes for a bad experience.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:25 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 68hemi

I think I've heard that. Regardless, I haven't ever noticed much difference in a hydraulic clutch over those without....except the pedal feel on a heavy racing manual fork clutch is considerably heavier.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:07 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Ok, for those of you who have done this (converted to Hydraulic)...have you considered this one [see picture] from "Modern Driveline"....I called them and it uses a set-up where the rod is not at an angle...as you can see/imagine from the fulcrum/leverage set up
Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2017, 06:35 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

I think I've heard that. Regardless, I haven't ever noticed much difference in a hydraulic clutch over those without....except the pedal feel on a heavy racing manual fork clutch is considerably heavier.
The clutch pedal on my Nova drag car I can push in with two fingers. Old school 2500 lb pressure plates of the past are just that, a thing of the past.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:04 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 4 Speed Dave
The clutch pedal on my Nova drag car I can push in with two fingers. Old school 2500 lb pressure plates of the past are just that, a thing of the past.

Interesting. I am sorry I got sucked into the manual vice hydraulic discussion...Still looking for more info on hydraulic...
Old 07-22-2017, 12:14 PM
appelen
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 65silververt
Call hurst driveline conversions! You don't want a standard mechanical clutch with a modern chassis.
agree!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hydraulic Clutch recommendations for C2