C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Thoughts on clutch vibration/noise?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 08:47 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Default Thoughts on clutch vibration/noise?

Bummer - got my rebuilt Muncie in today and fired it up and have clutch vibration - rattling as I let the clutch out. Haven't had to deal with this since I got rid of my 70 GTO about 1975. I only drove it around the block but it seemed to be getting worse at each start from a stop so I guess I have no choice but to start pulling it apart again. It vibrates like clutch chatter as I start letting the clutch out in first but also get sort of a rattling/grinding noise while clutch is engaging.

Transmission seems to be fine - shifts fine, no strange issues once the clutch is out and I'm moving.

Pressure plate - new 11 inch McLeod. Fingers were all sitting even in height. Wiped down lacquer thinner & brake cleaner
Flywheel - new Ram 18 lb aluminum - Wiped down with lacquer thinner
Disc is used but only 2700 miles on it. I was careful not to handle it by the friction material and I lightly sanded to bust up any glazing.
Pilot bushing - new non-metallic
TO bearing - new Mcleod. No noise that I noticed over the sidepipes with pedal down until I started to feather the clutch to start.
Bellhousing - stock. Checked it with a dial indicator years ago and from memory it was under .004 inch of center.
Fork - used 2700 miles - looked good.
Installed transmission with dowels - slid right in once engaged in the splines. Clutch & flywheel torqued down - everything else tight.

I have two suspicions. 1 - The pilot bushing literally popped in place by hand after storing in freezer for an hour. I expected to at least have to give it a light tap into place. It seemed solid and didn't move but I didn't mess with it much. Possibly it's loose. 2 - the TO bearing slipped off the fork while maneuvering the transmission into place. I thought I was careful to get it installed correctly with the fork shoulder and spring fingers all in the grove but possibly one of the fingers is out.

After that all I can think of is some form of pressure plate defect.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-27-2017, 09:02 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

you didn't put the disc in backwards? it would do exactly as you describe....

Bill
Old 06-27-2017, 09:14 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wmf62
you didn't put the disc in backwards? it would do exactly as you describe....

Bill
I hope not. I think it can only go one way - protruding hub to the rear.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:21 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I thought that about my distributor gear, it can only go in one way, WRONG!....

Jack

Ps know your pain after all the work..makes a grown man wont to cry
Old 06-27-2017, 09:26 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

I have made that mistake myself , the springs towards the engine; the springs will hit the flywheel mounting bolts....

Bill
Old 06-27-2017, 10:55 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Pilot bushing - new non-metallic
Non-metallic pilot bushing? Too loose could be an issue.

But I agree with the others on the reversed clutch disc as likely.

God, I hate do overs........

Good luck,

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 06-27-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:59 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

worse case scenario...

Bill
Attached Images   
Old 06-28-2017, 06:05 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, I won't discount anything yet but I don't think it's possible to install the disc backwards with that aluminum flywheel. I don't think there's enough room for the hub to go there - the disc would be 1/2 inch off of the flywheel surface. This is not the right number flywheel in this ad but it's other wise the same basic flywheel I installed except for earlier generation engines.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...FQ-OaQodHdwC2w

Wouldn't the disc be sprung against the pressure plate and the hub hung up on the flywheel and bolts and never release in neutral? It was releasing fine with the clutch pedal pushed in.

I'm still leaning towards the TO Bearing being crooked on the fork with one spring finger in the grove and the other outside and it's releasing the fingers on the plate unevenly and cocked so that it's dragging on the bearing retainer.

Hard for me to figure - this is about the 4th time I've had the transmission and clutch out of this car and it's always gone back together fine in the past. Lucky me. It's probably going to have to sit awhile until I can take it back apart - I have some other stuff I have to get done first.

Thanks

Last edited by DansYellow66; 06-28-2017 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:17 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Well, I won't discount anything yet but I don't think it's possible to install the disc backwards with that aluminum flywheel. I don't think there's enough room for the hub to go there - the disc would be 1/2 inch off of the flywheel surface. This is not the right number flywheel in this ad but it's other wise the same basic flywheel I installed except for earlier generation engines.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...FQ-OaQodHdwC2w

Wouldn't the disc be sprung against the pressure plate and the hub hung up on the flywheel and bolts and never release in neutral? It was releasing fine with the clutch pedal pushed in.

I'm still leaning towards the TO Bearing being crooked on the fork with one spring finger in the grove and the other outside and it's releasing the fingers on the plate unevenly and cocked so that it's dragging on the bearing retainer.

Hard for me to figure - this is about the 4th time I've had the transmission and clutch out of this car and it's always gone back together fine in the past. Lucky me. It's probably going to have to sit awhile until I can take it back apart - I have some other stuff I have to get done first.

Thanks
well, you won't know til you know... whatever it is.... and, whatever it is is VERY frustrating, especially if you have a full bellhousing like was used on the C2s and can't see what's going on... (that's what I like about the open bottom bellhousings used on the C1s

the pictures certainly were worse case examples and a lot would depend on how the flywheel and disc are made; but in my case the springs were just touching the bolt heads and were not enough to keep from disengaging.

my thoughts are with you

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 06-28-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:26 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Bill.

I'll own up to whatever I find inside when I can get back to it.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:18 PM
vette61
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks Bill.

I'll own up to whatever I find inside when I can get back to it.
Not sure what setup you have but if you have a dust cover just in front of the flywheel (engine side) check to see if the flywheel bolts are touching it and making the noise. Do a search on the forum, lots of info about this issue.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:22 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

the open bottom C1 bellhousing dust covers run this 'close'....

Bill
Attached Images     
Old 06-28-2017, 01:23 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vette61
Not sure what setup you have but if you have a dust cover just in front of the flywheel (engine side) check to see if the flywheel bolts are touching it and making the noise. Do a search on the forum, lots of info about this issue.
I'll check but new flywheel is thicker than the old one and there isn't any noise when the clutch was pushed in which would have loaded the crank against the thrust bearing. Also I have a shudder/chatter with it. The short drive I took didn't allow much diagnosis but it didn't exactly feel like regular clutch chatter I've experienced in other cars.

I shouldn't have posted this thread as there is really is no ultimate answer until I start taking it apart again and examine it. Guess I was just anxious over what I will find.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2017, 01:28 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

no regrets... you might have gotten an "aha' moment...

and this has been a heck of a lot better than some of the postings that want advice/suggestions and continue to take none and continue to 'what if'... I get disgusted with them (and there are a few running right now....)

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 06-28-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:32 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

Couple years back I had a throwout bearing that was off center----the surface that touches the fingers was grating up/down--side to side on the fingers. Put out a weird racket. Was a new bearing that came in a Luk kit.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:53 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,022 Likes on 682 Posts

Before digging too deep, remove the clutch release rod and the boot around the clutch fork. If you have an inspection camera, all the better. If not, twist the fork and see if it seems normal or hung on only one side. I think your thoughts about this are most likely.
Or, the disc just needs a bit of wearing in.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:08 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 250 Posts

I used the "RAM Billet Steel Flywheel 1523" for my 383. I saw this warning on this and maybe others so I checked for clearance. I'm using the stock LUK clutch.

"Performance and SFI-approved flywheels must be used with performance clutch discs only. Use of a stock-style clutch disk with a performance flywheel will often result in insufficient operating clearance between the disc hub and flywheel bolts."

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on clutch vibration/noise?

Old 06-28-2017, 05:18 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 6T7L71CPE
I used the "RAM Billet Steel Flywheel 1523" for my 383. I saw this warning on this and maybe others so I checked for clearance. I'm using the stock LUK clutch.

"Performance and SFI-approved flywheels must be used with performance clutch discs only. Use of a stock-style clutch disk with a performance flywheel will often result in insufficient operating clearance between the disc hub and flywheel bolts."
see, an "aha" moment (or at least a smoking gun...)

thanks

Bill
Old 06-28-2017, 06:10 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 6T7L71CPE
I used the "RAM Billet Steel Flywheel 1523" for my 383. I saw this warning on this and maybe others so I checked for clearance. I'm using the stock LUK clutch

I didn't notice that on mine but maybe I missed it. I will take a look at the papers.

Originally Posted by wmf62
see, an "aha" moment (or at least a smoking gun...)

thanks

Bill
True - some new things to consider. I am running a RAM flywheel, McLeod pressure plate and a Centerforce disc. What could go wrong.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 06-28-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:15 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pop23235
Before digging too deep, remove the clutch release rod and the boot around the clutch fork. If you have an inspection camera, all the better. If not, twist the fork and see if it seems normal or hung on only one side. I think your thoughts about this are most likely.
Or, the disc just needs a bit of wearing in.
I actually tried this today with my little camera but I have a hard time ever seeing anything with it. I did find that I forgot to tighten the lock nut inside on the adjustable fork stud and it was a little wobbly. That could be contributing to some shudder but I doubt it's the major issue. It seemed that one of the lower fingers on the fork was out of position on the TO bearing but I couldn't get a clear picture. I could see the upper one reasonably well and it looked OK.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on clutch vibration/noise?