C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Issue with Carb upgrade from Carter to Edelbrock 327CI & 300HP

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 03:39 PM
Rubc555
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Issue with Carb upgrade from Carter to Edelbrock 327CI & 300HP

Hey guys I got a question Or problem I purchased this 1964 327 300 horse manual with side exhaust and a Small cam a very original car .
My Carter carb was in need of rebuilt but I opted to box it up and save to have rebuilt at a later date .
I bought a new Edelbrock PN# 1406. 600 elec choke . I went threw the install fine and car started & runs pretty good but I'm getting a popping or cackling when I decelerate which never happened with the Carter.
I'm assuming it's to rich. I set the 2 idle mix set screws per instructions.
Turn clock wise till motor RPMs slow then turn back 1/4 to 1/2 turn on both left and right mix screws.
With the side pipes and window down it's very annoying.
Which brings me to my next question is there anyway to quiet down these factory side pipes? I know LOL give them to you
I'm wondering if this could be in the timing issue ? Not checked what it's set at now will have to find my timing light and see. ANY Suggestions My friends ?

Last edited by Rubc555; 07-10-2017 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Not complete
Old 07-10-2017, 03:48 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Sounds like timing. Try retarding it ever so slightly. You can always move it back if you think that's not the problem.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:51 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Rebuild the Carter carb and dump the generic Edelbrock. That carb is not optimized for your engine.

Popping back on deceleration when engine vacuum spikes can be due to a vacuum leak or lean mixture.

Look for leak around intake and make sure exhaust manifold bolts are snug.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-10-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:45 PM
Rubc555
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Rebuild the Carter carb and dump the generic Edelbrock. That carb is not optimized for your engine.

Popping back on deceleration when engine vacuum spikes can be due to a vacuum leak or lean mixture.

Look for leak around intake and make sure exhaust manifold bolts are snug.
Exhaust Manifold is good. I'll check leak on intake ..
Old 07-10-2017, 05:41 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubc555
Hey guys I got a question Or problem I purchased this 1964 327 300 horse manual with side exhaust and a Small cam a very original car .
My Carter carb was in need of rebuilt but I opted to box it up and save to have rebuilt at a later date .
I bought a new Edelbrock PN# 1406. 600 elec choke . I went threw the install fine and car started & runs pretty good but I'm getting a popping or cackling when I decelerate which never happened with the Carter.
I'm assuming it's to rich. I set the 2 idle mix set screws per instructions.
Turn clock wise till motor RPMs slow then turn back 1/4 to 1/2 turn on both left and right mix screws.
With the side pipes and window down it's very annoying.
Which brings me to my next question is there anyway to quiet down these factory side pipes? I know LOL give them to you
I'm wondering if this could be in the timing issue ? Not checked what it's set at now will have to find my timing light and see. ANY Suggestions My friends ?
When you let off the throttle and decelerate the high vacuum that's created by the closed throttle blades along with the valve overlap from the camshaft can pull exhaust back into the intake manifold. This exhaust can further dilute the mixture causing poor combustion and a lean mixture. When this happens the combustion can be late causing the after burn.

Make sure you adjust the emulsion screws when the intake plenum is hot plus make sure the transfer slot is exposed when the throttle blades are at idle position. try moving the timing advanced or retard to see which way helps. Take a big swing at it so you get a idea which way to go. The Carter probably gas a richer idle circuit.
The following users liked this post:
Rubc555 (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 05:46 PM
Rubc555
Instructor

Originally Posted by tbarb
When you let off the throttle and decelerate the high vacuum that's created by the closed throttle blades along with the valve overlap from the camshaft can pull exhaust back into the intake manifold. This exhaust can further dilute the mixture causing poor combustion and a lean mixture. When this happens the combustion can be late causing the after burn.

Make sure you adjust the emulsion screws when the intake plenum is hot plus make sure the transfer slot is exposed when the throttle blades are at idle position. try moving the timing advanced or retard to see which way helps. Take a big swing at it so you get a idea which way to go. The Carter probably gas a richer idle circuit.
Thanks I'm going to check the manifold for a leak with little starting fluid
I used the stock adapter in Lou of the one speedway sent so I may take it off and look a little closer we if there is a difference
Old 07-10-2017, 06:09 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubc555
Thanks I'm going to check the manifold for a leak with little starting fluid
I used the stock adapter in Lou of the one speedway sent so I may take it off and look a little closer we if there is a difference
I would recommend you look for a light show (plug wire leakage) in the dark before you use starter fluid to check for a vacuum leak. Could be a big fourth of July.

What adapter? should be a bolt on.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:23 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by R66

What adapter? should be a bolt on.
If I remember correctly, the Edelbrock 1400 series and the Carter AFB air horns are different diameters - adapter ring is required for air cleaner base installation.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:44 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
If I remember correctly, the Edelbrock 1400 series and the Carter AFB air horns are different diameters - adapter ring is required for air cleaner base installation.
Thinking the bottom end. I have a couple of adapters (along with a few AFBs) forgot about that.

Thanks for the correction.

Can't tell you how many hours I have spent trying to tune in a Edelbrock aftermarket. Rod, jet, and spring changes to get it right (have a ton of parts left over). Out of the box carbs are generally jetted rich for sea level air, whether it be an Eldebrock, Holley, or etc.

I am not a carb expert, but I have rarely found a 4V carb perform better than the original GM carb other than on racing engines.

Last edited by R66; 07-11-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:13 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by R66
Thinking the bottom end. I have a couple of adapters (along with a few AFBs) forgot about that.

Thanks for the correction.

Can't tell you how many hours I have spent trying to tune in a Edelbrock aftermarket. Rod, jet, and spring changes to get it right (have a ton of parts left over). Out of the box carbs are generally jetted rich for sea level air, whether it be an Eldebrock, Holley, or etc.

I am not a carb expert, but I have rarely found a 4V carb perform better than the original GM carb other than on racing engines.
Yeah, I had to play with the springs and metering rods to get it the way I wanted it to drive. Mainly opening up the secondaries smoother if that makes any sense.

Get notified of new replies

To Issue with Carb upgrade from Carter to Edelbrock 327CI & 300HP

Quick Reply: [C2] Issue with Carb upgrade from Carter to Edelbrock 327CI & 300HP