C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 1963 - Front Suspension/Ride Height

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 10:53 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Default 1963 - Front Suspension/Ride Height

I noticed my front right was sitting lower than normal and I calculated the ride height based on the shop manual instructions. The shop manual says the difference between lower ball joint height from ground and lower control arm pivot bolt center from the ground should be 3 5/8 give or take 1/4 and from left side to right side should be within 1/2 inch. My right side measured 2 1/4 difference. The left side measured about 3.

I know the shocks need to be replaced and I don't think that has anything to do with ride height, so would it be spring replacement to resolve the ride height issue? The springs look aged as well.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:41 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

If the car looks OK I would not worry about it, you will probably struggle getting it closer.

Does the car still have it's original front springs and how does the rear look side to side.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:21 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

If the front springs have ever been removed for any reason, the left front spring end may not have been placed in the pocket on the lower control arm correctly. That pocket has a small drain hole, look on the underside of the arm and see if it's covered by the spring end. If not, it's a reasonable chance that misaligned end is the cause of your height issue. Dennis
Old 07-12-2017, 10:35 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

I'm not sure if the springs have been replaced, definitely not in my ownership. I'll check the receipts I have though and see if there is any suspension related invoices.

I'm gonna say this developed since I've owned it however. At least 10 years ago, it never sat like it did in the front, like it does now. I'll get some side pics next time I take her out and see if you guys see what I'm talking about.

Are the front springs and shocks hard to replace? Do you need special tools or anything like that? Or can they be done in the garage with the front on jackstands?

Are the rear springs and shocks hard to replace for that matter?
Old 07-12-2017, 10:46 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

Front springs aren't too bad, but you have to be careful. It can be done on jackstands with a spring compressor that goes up through the center of the lower control arm after you remove the shock. Another way is to use a floor jack under the lower control arm, but it can be dangerous if you don't do things right. Motor must be in the car for the weight needed when using a jack to decompress and remove the spring.

Rear spring is easier, but if it still has some arch to it I'd leave it alone. Shocks are pretty easy, front or rear.

Last edited by ILBMF; 07-12-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:52 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
I'm not sure if the springs have been replaced, definitely not in my ownership. I'll check the receipts I have though and see if there is any suspension related invoices.

I'm gonna say this developed since I've owned it however. At least 10 years ago, it never sat like it did in the front, like it does now. I'll get some side pics next time I take her out and see if you guys see what I'm talking about.

Are the front springs and shocks hard to replace? Do you need special tools or anything like that? Or can they be done in the garage with the front on jackstands?

Are the rear springs and shocks hard to replace for that matter?
I will suggest you search YouTube for videos showing the work process for the front and rear springs. Correct tools, some mechanical experience and a great respect for safety are a must. The energy that is stored in those springs can, if not handled correctly, do some serious harm. Dennis

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 - Front Suspension/Ride Height

Quick Reply: [C2] 1963 - Front Suspension/Ride Height