C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Time to replace headlight motor gears - anything better than aluminum repops?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 11:29 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

Default Time to replace headlight motor gears - anything better than aluminum repops?

Time to replace main drive gears in my headlight motors. Yes, they've already been flipped over once. Is there a better replacement available than the die cast aluminum repop gears?
Old 07-17-2017, 11:35 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Avispa
Time to replace main drive gears in my headlight motors. Yes, they've already been flipped over once. Is there a better replacement available than the die cast aluminum repop gears?
If it's not a numbers matching NCRS car just go with the Detroit Speed headlight motor kit. They work much better than the old motors.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:20 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

I believe originals were die cast zinc-based "pot metal", and aluminum would probably be better. Buy the repros and use a synthetic grease on them like "Mobil 1", and they will probably outlast us.

Duke
The following users liked this post:
Avispa (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 12:27 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Dunno why bit I thought the original gears were aluminum.

Scary thing is that I got 19 years out of the current set of replacement gears. At that rate another set of die cast repros will more than likely outlast me. Thanks for the tip on grease, too. I didn't grease the last set b/c I had no idea what to use- white lithium grease turns into solid rock when exposed to the atmosphere for a while.

Last edited by Avispa; 07-17-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:50 PM
orlandjoe
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

Default repo gears

I used repo gears from Zip Corvette Products and they work great. Blue chassis grease for lub. During winter months in the Midwest I just leave the buckets open all season.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:40 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Use the repros. They are correctly sized now and it's better with the lighter metal. If something has to eventually wear or get galled the main gear is easy to replace.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:24 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Originally Posted by Avispa
Dunno why bit I thought the original gears were aluminum.

Scary thing is that I got 19 years out of the current set of replacement gears. At that rate another set of die cast repros will more than likely outlast me. Thanks for the tip on grease, too. I didn't grease the last set b/c I had no idea what to use- white lithium grease turns into solid rock when exposed to the atmosphere for a while.
WOW, 19 years and no grease! You must have only used the headlights a few time per year.

The trouble with white lithium is that the base oils have a relatively high vapor pressure and dry out quickly leaving the solids behind, which don't provide much lubrication. They're just there to keep the liquid oil from running out.

"Synthetic" base oils have much lower vapor pressure and will stay put a lot longer, which is why you should use them on "lubed for life" components like the headlight gearbox, steering gear, and wheel bearings, especially the rear.

I just use white lithium on things like door strikers and hood/trunk latches. By the time it turns brown or black you know it's dirty and time to clean and regrease.

So based on 19 years with no grease I say at least that much with synthetic, and likely the pot metal worm gears won't get trashed by the hardened steel worm machined onto the armature shaft. It doesn't take much... just use your finger to wipe a ribbon of grease around the gears and all the bearing bores and thrust surfaces.

Duke
Old 07-18-2017, 01:20 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Thanks for all the responses. Repro gears it is. biggd I've read great reviews of the Detroit Speed kit on this forum, it's a lot more money than I need to pay for the time being. Appreciate the suggestion.

Get notified of new replies

To Time to replace headlight motor gears - anything better than aluminum repops?

Quick Reply: Time to replace headlight motor gears - anything better than aluminum repops?