C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

TKO 600 Conversion Hydraulic Clutch or Not

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 10:31 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
You need to strengthen the firewall with a gusset plate if you plan a hydraulic clutch to spread the load for stress. I wouldn't bother.
A friend of mine added a hydraulic clutch and didn't support the firewall where it mounted. It didn't take very long and the firewall fractured leaving the car stranded.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:02 PM
SSTGene
Cruising

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcheairs38655
Might as well do it right and stick an LS 3 on the other end of the TKO 600 and lower the whole deal in. Damn the torpedoes (complications).

I know I am an SST employee however we have tons of Hydraulic clutch kits in plenty of cars with no issues. The internal bearing we use is like a new OE bearing. If properly set up it will be leak free for years and years.. Its really the only way to install with a LS3. All of our Corvette Hydraulic kits includes the firewall stiffener.

Last edited by SSTGene; 08-17-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:14 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Also need to be sure that the linkage is properly aligned and not off to the side/top/bottom.

CarCraft had two failures on their project before they traced it down to "side wear" of the hydraulic piston letting fluid seep by because their linkage was out of alignment.

Last edited by toddalin; 08-17-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:42 PM
daz_au
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Might as well do it right and stick an LS 3 on the other end of the TKO 600 and lower the whole deal in. Damn the torpedoes (complications).
A lot of people go to hydraulic when going LS because the Z-Bar pivot ball bracket from the SBC doesn't work on the LS. I bought 2 different "LS Conversion" pivot ball brackets but neither worked on the Corvette. It took me about an hour to make something in the garage out of thick angle that did work though.

Once you are over that hurdle, with the right clutch there is absolutely nothing wrong with the mechanical linkage !
Old 08-17-2017, 06:51 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

my ls3 is mechanical. do not ask me how it was done. i did not do it. jim
Old 08-18-2017, 05:33 PM
jpcarter48
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

just put a TKO600 from AP in a 67 conv. Went with their dual-disc clutch and stock linkage. Pedal effort is less than original 390hp clutch.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:13 PM
Tcheairs38655
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Still don't understand the necessity of the hydraulic clutch in a TKO 600 conversion for a conventional old school (non LS motor). Seems to me that besides the necessary required firewall reinforcement (C-2) that it's just a marketing hype to sell another (questionably)
required bell and whistle setup. and all of the above mentioned "glitches" must also be addressed. It's hard enough to get the Tremec into the C-2 and properly aligned (motor pull etc.) without opening an additional bucket of worms with a fancy clutch.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:34 AM
GearheadJoe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 410 Posts

Still don't understand the necessity of the hydraulic clutch in a TKO 600 conversion for a conventional old school (non LS motor). Seems to me that besides the necessary required firewall reinforcement (C-2) that it's just a marketing hype to sell another (questionably)
required bell and whistle setup. and all of the above mentioned "glitches" must also be addressed. It's hard enough to get the Tremec into the C-2 and properly aligned (motor pull etc.) without opening an additional bucket of worms with a fancy clutch.
I completely agree that there is no need to convert to a hydraulic clutch when putting a TKO-600 into a C2 that has a stock Gen-I small block.

I kept the stock linkage when I put a TKO 600 in my C2, and there were no issues whatsoever. The clutch linkage is 100% identical to the stock setup and it works fine.

BTW, your post implies that you have to pull the engine to align the bell housing, but that is not the case. Aligning the bell housing is a tedious task, but it's only a tiny bit less tedious with the engine out of the car (I have done it both ways, so I know from experience). It would be silly to pull the engine just to align the bell housing.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:37 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by GearheadJoe
I completely agree that there is no need to convert to a hydraulic clutch when putting a TKO-600 into a C2 that has a stock Gen-I small block.

I kept the stock linkage when I put a TKO 600 in my C2, and there were no issues whatsoever. The clutch linkage is 100% identical to the stock setup and it works fine.

BTW, your post implies that you have to pull the engine to align the bell housing, but that is not the case. Aligning the bell housing is a tedious task, but it's only a tiny bit less tedious with the engine out of the car (I have done it both ways, so I know from experience). It would be silly to pull the engine just to align the bell housing.
Not silly to pull the engine...I have done several as well...just a different way to skin the cat...
Old 08-19-2017, 07:10 AM
Low Rider
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a ZZ383 in my 57 with 425 h/p with the stock manual clutch (Cenrer Force) been there for 7 years with over 12K miles and no issues.....
Old 08-19-2017, 03:28 PM
GearheadJoe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Crunch527
Not silly to pull the engine...I have done several as well...just a different way to skin the cat...
Sorry, I guess I used the wrong word. What I'm trying to say is that pulling the engine is a lot more work.

If the *only* task at hand is to align the bell housing and install a TKO 600, there is far less effort involved to do the job with the engine in the car. For a C2 with a fixed crossmember, this assumes that you have a transmission jack and you use the sequence of steps originally described in the Keisler instructions.

Leaving the engine in the car eliminates a long list of steps that are involved with pulling the engine. Examples include removing the hood, draining coolant, removing the fan, fan shroud, radiator and front accessories such as alternator, PS pump, and A/C compressor, disconnecting the fuel line, disconnecting the starter motor, pulling the distributor, disconnecting the motor mounts, and finally, using a hoist to carefully guide the engine out without damaging anything. Then you have to repeat all of these same steps in reverse.

My first TKO-600 installation was done with the engine in the car, but later on when I was doing an engine swap I pulled the engine/trans as a unit and mounted the TKO-600 to the new engine before installing them as a unit. So, I have done this both ways. If the only task is installing the TKO-600, I think it is far less work and hassle if the engine stays in the car.

On the other hand, if you need to pull the engine anyway for other reasons, it's easier to install the TKO 600 and re-install the engine/trans as a unit.

Quick Reply: TKO 600 Conversion Hydraulic Clutch or Not