C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 16 inch puller fan

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 04:51 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts

Default 16 inch puller fan

Thinking to install a 16" puller fan as an added ​​​​​cooling source to compliment the factory fan clutch/fan when the AC is turned on. Is this viable?

​​​​​The regular factory engine cooling fan works fine and is adequate under most conditions when using AC, but, on overly hot days the engine temp creeps up to 225-230 degrees in slow speed/idle in town conditions.

There's no overflow tank rumbling or coolant puking out the overflow hose at these engine temps. I'd just like to see the engine temp not go so high.

Has anyone done this..........added a puller fan to compliment a factory fan for additional cooling performance? .. If so, how did it work out? . .
​​​​​​​John

​​​​​​
​​​​
​​​​​​​​​​​
Old 07-19-2017, 05:50 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg
Thinking to install a 16" puller fan as an added ​​​​​cooling source to compliment the factory fan clutch/fan when the AC is turned on. Is this viable?

​​​​​The regular factory engine cooling fan works fine and is adequate under most conditions when using AC, but, on overly hot days the engine temp creeps up to 225-230 degrees in slow speed/idle in town conditions.

There's no overflow tank rumbling or coolant puking out the overflow hose at these engine temps. I'd just like to see the engine temp not go so high.

Has anyone done this..........added a puller fan to compliment a factory fan for additional cooling performance? .. If so, how did it work out? . .
​​​​​​​John

​​​​​​
​​​​
​​​​​​​​​​​
John,
I PM'd you. There is another option that I know has worked on some Corvettes that have this same issue.

DUB
Old 07-19-2017, 09:18 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

If you aren't having troubles, I wouldn't worry. Have you verified the high temps at slow speeds? The sender unit may be feeding false information at higher temps.
I also have a problem (which is not borne out by any scientific process at all) with additional fans. It seems to me that they are close enough to the radiator to block air flow through the radiator at speed. I mean, if the puller fan can flow say 30 mph of airflow at a stoplight, it would seem to be a blockage at anything higher than 30. And at say 55, is the fan stationary or spinning from the air flowing and thus blocking the airflow?

Any engineers on the forum that can tell me I'm full of it? I wouldn't be offended because I already know I'm full of it...

Gerry
Old 07-20-2017, 11:11 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mossy66
If you aren't having troubles, I wouldn't worry. Have you verified the high temps at slow speeds? The sender unit may be feeding false information at higher temps.
I also have a problem (which is not borne out by any scientific process at all) with additional fans. It seems to me that they are close enough to the radiator to block air flow through the radiator at speed. I mean, if the puller fan can flow say 30 mph of airflow at a stoplight, it would seem to be a blockage at anything higher than 30. And at say 55, is the fan stationary or spinning from the air flowing and thus blocking the airflow?

Any engineers on the forum that can tell me I'm full of it? I wouldn't be offended because I already know I'm full of it...

Gerry
Air is a fluid...thus I seriously doubt that the close distance to the radiator is inhibiting the cooling process. YES..I can grasp your thoughts on this..but by the time the air is hitting the fan..it has done its job...I am sure the air will find its way out...thus following the path of least resistance.

DUB
Old 07-21-2017, 09:50 AM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 575 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mrg

​​​​​​​John

​​​​​​
​​​​
​​​​​​​​​​​
I have a thermostat controlled puller fan in addition to a belt driven one on my 63 with Vintage Air. It works fine, though it hasn't been in temps over 95 yet.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:57 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by mrg

John​​​​​​​​​​​
I have a Dewitt's combo radiator that has a puller fan. I also kept My belt-driven fan. Originally, the puller fan would come on automatically at 180* (I think) but I modified it to manually operate with a toggle switch. The fan works really well but I rarely have to use it and could probably get by fine without it.

Steve
Old 08-03-2017, 01:20 PM
96LT1AUTO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
John,
I PM'd you. There is another option that I know has worked on some Corvettes that have this same issue.

DUB
Hello could you share that info with me?
Old 08-03-2017, 02:25 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 929 Likes on 531 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by DUB
John,

DUB
Why don't you share that with all of us? Is it a secret?
The following 2 users liked this post by 59BlueSilver:
Heeia1 (08-10-2017), Stan's Customs (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 07:05 PM
DUB
Race Director

Contact 'mrg' and have 'mrg' give you the content of the PM I sent him.

Honestly....I have gotten to the point on this forum that often times when I give my experiences and suggestions to issues that I have worked out and know that has worked for me..I get some members who just want to be combative and dispute it to death. SO...I am selective on how I give out this information. It does become quite exhausting for me to have to explain everything in such fine detail so 'those' members have no way to read it any other way...but yet they still do.

I work on these cars every day and the last thing I want to do when I come home is to get on the forum.... trying to help those who ask for help...only to get otherwise. Heck...I know I am not perfect....but I do try to do the best I can to help.

I do not have the PM I sent him...and have no clue to figure out how to possibly resurrect it after I had deleted it.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Chuck Gongloff (08-19-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 07:25 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

DUB - I just want to say that I appreciate all of your postings here. I have learned a lot from you.

Take care,
Steve
DUB (08-03-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 06:36 PM
Bikergems
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RatDog
DUB - I just want to say that I appreciate all of your postings here. I have learned a lot from you.

Take care,
Steve
Dub, I also appreciate your posting. You have a lot to offer. I read alot more than I post. When I see your post on an issue, I read it. Thanks.

Jim
DUB (08-19-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 06:53 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Although my two midyears both still have the OEM fans/clutches on them and still work okay, I think that replacing them with a thermostatically controlled electric fan is a great idea.

It will reliably come on when the engine temp reaches a predetermined point and it will continue to blow hot air out from underneath the hood when you shut the engine off.

If I was driving my two cars under conditions some of you drive, I would make the conversion in a heartbeat.

PS. I'm not a fan of PM's on this forum to answer a question. Seems like top secrect stuff to me.

Last edited by MikeM; 08-19-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:21 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Two questions:

1) How did you determine the temp?
2) I thought 230 was the high end of "normal"

Ed

Last edited by emdoller; 08-19-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:06 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by emdoller
Two questions:

1) How did you determine the temp?
2) I thought 230 was the high end of "normal"

Ed

Depends if you are worried about too high engine temp or too high gasoline temp.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:35 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
Although my two midyears both still have the OEM fans/clutches on them and still work okay, I think that replacing them with a thermostatically controlled electric fan is a great idea.

It will reliably come on when the engine temp reaches a predetermined point and it will continue to blow hot air out from underneath the hood when you shut the engine off.

If I was driving my two cars under conditions some of you drive, I would make the conversion in a heartbeat.

PS. I'm not a fan of PM's on this forum to answer a question. Seems like top secrect stuff to me.
In addition to radiator seals the decision is to go with a puller fan for additional cooling 'boost', when needed. While engine operation at 230* may be considered 'safe', I'm not comfortable with engine temp running in the 225-230* temp range when in slow and go, stop, or idling too long in traffic . This happens when ambient air temp goes above 85*. .. Then too, the additional heat flowing through the firewall roasting feet and legs........
John
Old 08-19-2017, 09:10 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Mossy66

Gerry
My '62 has a 16" Spal puller fan in addition to a Hayden 2747 fan clutch and the original fan with the stock fan shroud. Coming back down the 57 Freeway from the Pomona Swap Meet last Sunday the temp creeped up from it's normal 180-185 to 210-215. When I got off the freeway it went up to 220. I stuck my head out the window and could tell that my fan wasn't on. When I installed it I wired it so when the fan switch is switched up the ground runs from the temperature switch on the manifold to the fan relay, in the middle position it's off so I can pull into a car show without the fan scaring people, and in the down position I run straight ground through the switch to the fan relay just in case the temperature switch failed. I flipped the switch down and the fan came on, so the temperature switch actually went out. Within two minutes it was back to 180.

I know the conventional thinking is that you can run 210-230 all day long. But my '62 when the engine is that hot gets unbearably hot inside even though the car is fully insulated with the insulation mat under the carpet and under the dash. That much heat bakes the wiring and everything else under the hood you spent all that money on making it pretty. Not my cup of tea.

Last edited by Randy G.; 08-19-2017 at 09:14 PM.
nfran (05-13-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To 16 inch puller fan

Quick Reply: [C2] 16 inch puller fan