C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Affect on C2 value with target motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 11:11 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy G.
Yea, so did I. It's amazing how many formerly NOM cars have suddenly become all original numbers matching with the original engine. Didn't one labeled as the last one sell for $600,000 about 10 years ago. I seem to recall it didn't have the right engine, then it did.

Aren't there outfits that reproduce tank stickers with aged paper, window stickers, trim tags, vin tags, etc.? You just about have to have been the original owner's son or long lost next neighbor remembering the day they brought it home from the dealership in order to actually prove it's the real deal any more.

My point was that I have all the original documentation and don't GAS about it. I'm the second owner, since 1971, and bought it from a friend. At that time there was no matching numbers craze, NCRS didn't even exist, and no collectibility egos. They were just cool used cars.

I took out the trashed L79 and threw it away for scrap, put in a 1970 LT 1 crate engine. The car is now on its 3rd engine and 2nd trans. I just keep the original docs along with the receipts for the new parts.

One of the original docs is the bill of sale from a dealer that does't exist anymore. I doubt many folks are faking those.

So the authentic provenance I have doesn't mean a thing in cash value or collectibility ego. I just keep it for sentimental reasons.

Quick Reply: [C2] Affect on C2 value with target motor