C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1965 327 engine - replacement of wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 04:59 PM
Sullyvette
Pro

Received 241 Likes on 96 Posts

Default 1965 327 engine - replacement of wiring harness

Hi, are there any recent video's/threads of how I start the process of removing the old and install the new engine wiring harness? Anything or any particular vendor is better regarded? Thx, Chuck
Old 07-21-2017, 06:53 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

I have not done this, so any help I offer is of little use.

My guess is that there is only one manufacturer of these rarely purchased harnesses that all the parts houses sell.

I would probably use the free wiring schematics offered on this forum, and using a wire marker set, pull the old one off one connector at a time until it was free (taking lots of pictures as you go).

Then I would lay the new harness out next to the old harness on a large flat surface and transfer the wiring markers one at a time to the new harness connectors.

Then I would transfer the new harness into the engine bay, and hook it up in the reverse order that I took it off.

I am aware that others prefer the "side by side" method where you leave the old harness in the car, and sister the new harness alongside it, and swap connection points one at a time.

But I'll give the thread a bump anyway.

Good Luck and please post pictures.
The following users liked this post:
Sullyvette (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 07:32 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

There are 3 manufactures of OEM plug and play harness. Electric Limited, M&H and America Auto wire. I only used the first two and they make a good plug a play harness. It's very straight forward to do this job. First take a lot of detailed pictures of everything. Then in plug everything and just work backwards to the bulk head connector. The new one just do it all in reverse.
Sullyvette (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 08:01 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Depending on your electrical skill level, I would recommend you mark each wire connection with a wire marker or piece of tape and to a matching mark on the component that the wire connects too. Also photos before you start removal of the old wiring harness.
Review your installation before you power it up. Nothing worse than burning a new harness because something is grounded.

If your knowledge and skill level is high, grab a six pack and have at it.

It's not that bad of a job other than the wire ties and trying to save the factory ties.
Sullyvette (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 08:17 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Wiring

As others have said, M&H and Electric Limited make the best harnesses. I would leave the old harness in place and just lay the new over the old. Unplug the old and plug in the new as you go. The hardest part is going to be the headlights because of their location. Lastly, hands down, the best wiring diagram is made by Dr. Rebuild. Good luck. Jerry
Sullyvette (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 08:56 AM
vmaxpwc
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

I just replaced my 64 Fi engine harness and headlight harness. Used lectric limited. Ordered diect from them. They offer a discount if you are a NCRS member. Worked great, high quality product. Just go step by step. Take lots of pictures of the existing connections at the wwiper, horn relay, vreg and starter. I added fusible links to mine at the starter. Make sure you orient the connectors correctly on the ww and vreg. Be carefull around the distributor so your shielding does not cut the coil leads when you reinstall the shielding. Just my 2 cents.

Vmax
Sullyvette (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 12:39 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

The OP will never find the harness if he Googles Electric Limited...it's Lectric Limited...just for expediency.

https://www.lectriclimited.com/?34642

or for M&H

http://www.wiringharness.com/
Sullyvette (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 12:52 PM
Jefjak
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just did mine last year using Lectric Limited. I installed new alongside old and removed old as I went along. Definitely recommend Doc Rebuild's diagrams - easy to get lost just using wiring diagrams, but Doc Rebuilds has photos of the connectors. Makes it very easy. And keep the AIM handy as a reference in case you inevitable find a connection or two that's have been altered over the years.
Sullyvette (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 01:09 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

The engine harness is pretty simple...really.

My suggestion is to lay it alongside the one in the car and start at the front and work your way back. loosely...don't tighten any straps until you have both ends connected.

Other than the starter connections and coil connections..its very simple.
Sullyvette (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 07:22 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 575 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

It's very straightforward, just lay the new one over the old and duplicate every connection and routing. If you want pics of the way any particular connection should be made, please PM me.

One caution with Lectric Limited: Be careful when connecting the new harness to the main junction block. Plug it straight in, not on any angle. Their plug is tight fit and you may not get the tabs engaged easily. Beware of wiggling it to get the tabs engaged, you may accidentally push the connectors out of place and gremlins will result. Don't ask how I know.

Mike
Sullyvette (07-22-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 04:45 AM
USMC 0802
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 959 Likes on 490 Posts
USMC

Agree with Lectric Limited - great unit that's plug and play. I did mine this winter with the help of Tampa Jerry (got a free lunch too - thanks Jerry!)

The only advice I would give would be to lay the new harness in the sun first to make it more pliable before install.
Sullyvette (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 11:30 PM
jscott6
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just had one installed yesterday

Just had a Lectric Limited installed on my 66 yesterday. Did not do it myself but was standing there watching, helping a little, the entire time. From start to finish (removing old & installing new), 3 hours. He pulled the old harness completely before putting the new one in. Looked very easy, kinda wish I had installed it myself. But, I would have mirrored the harnesses and unplugged the old, plug in new as I moved along. All of the connectors worked perfectly, no issues at all with the harness. It comes with a pretty simple diagram. As mentioned in an earlier reply, the most difficult part was the headlight portion due to the tight spaces being harder to reach. Also agree with an earlier reply that Dr. Rebuild does have the best diagram (I purchased 2 others from different sources).
Sullyvette (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 07:23 AM
Sullyvette
Pro

Well I'll be damned !!! I got the starter to the shop before noon and they replaced the solenoid stud for free. Great Shop to deal with (Con-Rel) Replaced the starter after wiring it up. Continued around to the alt. area and then on to the forward contacts horn/ground. Was a wreck about hooking up battery, Well it started and low and behold now the Alt gauge on the dash works. It had been pinned in the middle since I bought the car in October. Fingers crossed, I'm hoping this new harness will allow me to park and restart after it runs a while. Fingers crossed !!! Thanks again (Frankie/Duck/Leif/Buns). For those out there who are unsure of replacing the engine harness. Believe me if I can do it anyone can. Total time approx. 3.5 hrs. It's started the last five attempts. Both warm and cold. start. Yahoo !!!Thx you for your assistance. Sully
Old 08-20-2017, 07:29 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Excellent.
Sullyvette (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 11:56 AM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

I just might do this today (or next Saturday, depending on today's dash wiring harness install progress) and the idea of laying the harness out in the sun beforehand to make it more pliable is a great one, I planned on doing that for the carpet, the underlayment and the seat covers but didn't think about the wiring. I also plan on using GM Dielectric Lubricant at the terminal connections to prevent electrical fretting.

Ray
Sullyvette (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 10:17 AM
Sullyvette
Pro

I just laid out the engine harness length wise, it wasn't stiff or brittle. Pretty pliable right out of the box. Let me know how the dash harness goes, that may be my next winter project. Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To 1965 327 engine - replacement of wiring harness

Quick Reply: 1965 327 engine - replacement of wiring harness