C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Value of 300 hp OE v.s. 340 hp dressings

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 09:29 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Default Value of 300 hp OE v.s. 340 hp dressings

R66 is basically a stock plain jane car with the original drive train - 300 hp 327, M20, 336:1 gears.

I have noticed the plain jane cars are about $10,000 less in value than the HP cars in the same condition.

I have a 66 corvette alum intake on the 68RS, a pair of alum valve covers, a M21 trans, and 373 gears. I could buy the chrome fill tube, dip stick, and misc. pieces to dress the engine as a high HP model (340 or 350). Add the HP cam and have a clone for less than $1K or $2K.

Seems everyone want the HP cars.

Would a clone be more desirable and worth more than the original car without restamping the drive train and lying my butt off at the time of a sale?

How much would it add or deduct to the value of the car?

Just thoughts. Thanks.

Ron

Last edited by R66; 07-21-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:03 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Just adding a intake and a sticker prolly won't make it worth any more money. Just more eye candy when you open the hood.

Last edited by Nowhere Man; 07-21-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:04 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by R66
R66 is basically a stock plain jane car with the original drive train - 300 hp 327, M20, 336:1 gears.

I have noticed the plain jane cars are about $10,000 less in value than the HP cars in the same condition.

I have a 66 corvette alum intake on the 68RS, a pair of alum valve covers, a M21 trans, and 373 gears. I could buy the chrome fill tube, dip stick, and misc. pieces to dress the engine as a high HP model (340 or 350). Add the HP cam and have a clone for less than $1K or $2K.

Would a clone be more desirable and worth more than the original car without restamping the drive train and lying my butt off at the time of a sale?

Just thoughts. Thanks.

Ron
If you're not gonna sell why do you give a hoot what everybody thinks or some perceived bump in value ?

99% of people won't know a 250hp from a 340hp mill, I have the base motor in my split window and took all that fake crap off (air cleaner, 340hp carb and valve covers). Most people look at my dual snorkel air cleaner and stamped steel valve covers and go, "Wow! A 327 Turbojet!".

The few who know anything will spot the silicone 'boob job' additions all day long...
Old 07-21-2017, 11:06 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by R66

Ron
It would absolutely be worth more to some buyers. Buyers like me and there are plenty like me. Might even be the difference between a tire kicker and a buyer.

As far as anyone going "WOW" at the open hood on my base engine '65, it's never happened and the glances quickly go to the rest of the car.

Besides, if you make the engine changes you propose, your car will run and sound like a real Corvette instead of an old man's car, at least while you own it. Never mind what anyone else thinks.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:26 AM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

327/300 with 3:36 best combo ever....

on a good running 327/300 you can balance a lit cigarette ,upright, on the center of the afb. good enough grunt to please most folks.

nothing wrong with switching parts but you'd probably make more by selling the parts. Though I'd replace the intake with a stock al version just for the weight savings. Valve cover switch is almost mandatory.

the market is a mix of preferences, please one segment and turn off the other.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:37 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by R66

Just thoughts. Thanks.

Ron
There are a lot more internal changes that differentiate the 300HP from the 340HP cars than what you seem to consider. The compression is different (10.5 versus 11.25). Are you really going to consider changing the pistons? The heads are different because the valves are larger in the higher HP cars. The cam will require solid lifters - it is not just a simple cam switch.

Sure people are willing to pay more for the higher HP cars, but creating a fake clone is likely to hurt the value of your car, not enhance it.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:53 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Old 07-21-2017, 02:20 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

If you do it RIGHT mill the proper heads for the compression and valves, cam, intake, carb, valve covers, etc. and market it as the original engine upgraded to 340 h.p. specs you will have a larger buyer pool and easier sell. Keep the original parts for the guy that SAYS he would rather have it original. He will take the parts but likely will never convert it back. You will probably get an extra $5K at todays prices which may be the same as the cost to do it all. If you enjoy the difeerence while you own it then it won't cost you anything in the end.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:34 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

So - spend a couple of thou to make back maybe 3 or 4 and screw up an original setup...
Yup, makes sense to me....in which case, make it a fuelie and go for the big $$$ fake bucks. Its your car and I don't really car but others can be awful free with YOUR money.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:59 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
So - spend a couple of thou to make back maybe 3 or 4 and screw up an original setup...
Yup, makes sense to me....in which case, make it a fuelie and go for the big $$$ fake bucks. Its your car and I don't really car but others can be awful free with YOUR money.
If you do it the way I laid it out above you don't screw anything up. You will need different heads and by milling them for the compression you can bolt the original heads back on with no problem. All other things are bolt on/in items. You don't re stamp it, you market it as an upgraded original engine. I don't think there is much money to be made but the OP and MOST buyers will like the additional power and eye candy. With the original parts included upon sale everybody should be happy.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:30 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I don't regret a minute changing it over. Formerly powered by this putt-putt 327/300. But I didn't change the OE, just built a new engine out of the right parts I had laying around.

I have less than $2K cost in the complete engine and build up. Paint is mostly original so no extra cost there.

Attached Images  

Last edited by MikeM; 07-21-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:39 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

I have this here base engine '65 model. Three speed. Less than 50K actual miles. Nobody looks under the hood. It runs good but doesn't run like a Corvette should nor does it sound like one.

I have a hopped up 400 SB sitting here on the stand with FI on it and a spare four speed in the corner. I'm just waiting on the ambition to swap out the OE and make it like I (and many others) would want it.

Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2017, 08:44 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
It would absolutely be worth more to some buyers. Buyers like me and there are plenty like me. Might even be the difference between a tire kicker and a buyer.

As far as anyone going "WOW" at the open hood on my base engine '65, it's never happened and the glances quickly go to the rest of the car.

Besides, if you make the engine changes you propose, your car will run and sound like a real Corvette instead of an old man's car, at least while you own it. Never mind what anyone else thinks.
Actually, I love the car as it is. Starts and runs flawlessly without the challenges of the high performance engines I have owned and built in the past. Turn the key and it starts first turn hot or cold, temp 180 cruising in town or on the highway at 90+, good mileage for a 60s car, geared perfectly for cruising. Not a tire smoker, but will light the skinny rubber up if I want.

Happy with an old man's car after years of seeking that tenth of a second improvement.

I am looking at the resale on the car after I die to improve the value and market appeal as I am sure the wife will not keep it. As you said, the EYE CANDY thing is very apparent at car shows and the THUMP, THUMP, THUMP is still the engine sound most hot rodders of all ages love. It is not hard to achieve and I have most of the parts left from many years of racing.

Think I should let the wife's boyfriend worry about it, I won't care.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:55 AM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 97 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by MikeM
I have this here base engine '65 model. Three speed. Less than 50K actual miles. Nobody looks under the hood. It runs good but doesn't run like a Corvette should nor does it sound like one.

I have a hopped up 400 SB sitting here on the stand with FI on it and a spare four speed in the corner. I'm just waiting on the ambition to swap out the OE and make it like I (and many others) would want it.

MikeM,

I DO like your collection AND your approach to please yourself. Think we went to differerent schools together

I certainly would love to have a 400 small block sitting on a stand, itching to play with. Everything I've read on this forum on 400 small blocks...tons of grunt! DZauto planted/educated me on the merits of this transplant.

I mothballed my 300 HP block, factory M20Muncue & 3.36:1 rear.

I agree with those who believe a factory dressed higher HP engine will be more desirable upon selling (knowing the original pieces come with the sale).

Ok R66, back on your concerns...go for it! It's your car, dress her the way you want.

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 07-22-2017, 10:27 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

These threads are funny.....

Guess I'll have to jazz up my poor, lamentable base motor split window so some stranger who doesn't know squat will be ga-ga over it...

The same crowd that gets the $2,500 paint jobs clearly haven't priced a 340hp air cleaner and valve covers.... Let alone the internal mods...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-22-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:14 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Paint jobs aside, some of us have the parts on the shelf and some don't have the scratch necessary to buy them.

Or, looking at it another way, if a guy saves $17,500 on a paint job, he has all the money he needs to install any practical engine he wants in his car and nothing left for it to run no better or look any better than grandpa's old straight Buick.

I'm merely the messenger. You decide.
Attached Images     

Last edited by MikeM; 07-22-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:27 AM
DSR
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by R66

Just thoughts. Thanks.

Ron
I would leave the car the way it is if your selling it. Just offer the parts at extra cost. Or put the parts on, drive the car and have fun instead!

Get notified of new replies

To Value of 300 hp OE v.s. 340 hp dressings

Quick Reply: [C2] Value of 300 hp OE v.s. 340 hp dressings