C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Car trailer delivery options

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 11:10 PM
Moleyman
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Car trailer delivery options

Hi,
I would like to buy a 24 ft. car hauler in Georgia and have it delivered to the west coast. Commercial delivery services are too expensive. I was wondering if anybody needs a vehicle or goods delivered to the west coast. They could use my new trailer for free. I would meet them and pick up my new trailer. Is there a service that puts people together for this type of thing. I would like the trailer to be delivered to Wa.
Any help appreciated.
Pat
Old 07-22-2017, 12:51 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

I picked up a new 24' trailer I ordered in Nappannee Indiana last October, and asked if anyone had a car that needed a ride from there to So Cal. Got a bite from a guy who wanted to move a 1956 Corvette. And when we checked with the car owner's insurance company they said if I crashed the trailer and damaged their insured's car they would cover the damage to the car, and then would come after me to pay them back. After learning that I politely declined to transport the car. Make sure you check out the liability aspects.

Last edited by Randy G.; 07-22-2017 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:51 AM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

I would think that you could purchase a limited time endorcement for such a situation. Al W.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:21 PM
Rickenbach
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy G.
I picked up a new 24' trailer I ordered in Nappannee Indiana last October, and asked if anyone had a car that needed a ride from there to So Cal. Got a bite from a guy who wanted to move a 1956 Corvette. And when we checked with the car owner's insurance company they said if I crashed the trailer and damaged their insured's car they would cover the damage to the car, and then would come after me to pay them back. After learning that I politely declined to transport the car. Make sure you check out the liability aspects.

I don't think I would tow a loaded 24' trailer with a Jeep. You may be able to get it going, but stopping is another thing altogether.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:38 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickenbach
I don't think I would tow a loaded 24' trailer with a Jeep. You may be able to get it going, but stopping is another thing altogether.
I was thinking the same thing. Here in the northeast that Jeep would burn up on the hills around here.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:55 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

I don't think I would tow a loaded 24' trailer with a Jeep.
Originally Posted by 4 Speed Dave
I was thinking the same thing.
I have a one ton diesel truck that I use to tow my car trailer.

Even with a heavy duty truck you can feel the "drag" from the trailer.
The issue is the wind resistance at highway speed, not the weight.

It feels like you are towing a brick.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:56 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Randy,
I picked this one up at the same place last July. Super quality trailers! Towing with this rig, I didn't even know it was back there.
Verne
Name:  trailer home-3.JPG
Views: 606
Size:  4.01 MB
Old 07-22-2017, 09:31 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

I pull a 22' United slope nose with my RAM 1500 Hemi and it is hard to tell you are pulling a trailer till you get to some good sized hills. Going down the hills is not a big deal that is why they have electric brakes on the trailers these days. If the trailer is empty then I usually run about 75 to 80 all day long but when I have one of my cars in it usually 70 would be max but run 60 to 70 all day long. To me a slope nose or maybe a V nose is the only way to go. I have had 4 trailers and all came from northern Indiana the best place to have one built I think.

Last edited by Mike Terry; 07-22-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:41 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Empty was OK. It's an all aluminum trailer that weighs 4,400 empty. My Jeep has a the turbo ecodiesel with the factory tow hitch and the Jeep as equipped has a 7,400 pound tow rating. Brakes are awesome as is the engine brake with the diesel on the Jeep, but like you, I wouldn't feel comfortable towing it loaded. The problem isn't power and braking, as it did fine going through the Eisenhower Tunnel this side of Denver on the way back from Indiana. The problem is the Jeep's short wheelbase and the way the trailer moves you around in the wind or when passing commercial vehicles, and I have an Equalizer sway control hitch.

I was waiting for the new Duramax with 910 ft lb of torque to come out this year before buying a new truck. I bought this about two months ago just for towing because I agree with your sentiments.

Last edited by Randy G.; 07-22-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:43 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

I was thinking the same thing. Here in the northeast that Jeep would burn up on the hills around here.
Obviously you don't own a diesel powered JGC? 420 ft lbs of torque at low RPM with an exhaust brake. It's the same powerplant that they put in the Ram 1500 trucks, and the brakes are huge. I was towing it home and went up and over the grades coming back through the Eisenhower Tunnel this side of Denver (11,000 feet, 6% grades) and hardly touched the brakes and it didn't break a sweat going up and down the hills.

Last edited by Randy G.; 07-22-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:55 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Inside of the trailer. 100% all LED lighting. 5,500 lb torsion bar axles. Has solar roof panels to run a 110V inverter and charge the battery.

I didn't want a V-Nose because I wanted a work bench, closet and drawers in front along with a generator compartment in a standard configuration. I may use it to do some club racing and wanted this bench option.

Last edited by Randy G.; 07-22-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:16 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Originally Posted by W Guy
Randy,
I picked this one up at the same place last July. Super quality trailers! Towing with this rig, I didn't even know it was back there.
Verne
Attachment 48116416
Hi Vern.

VERY NICE. I see you got the "get outta the car" option with the street side door.

I've owned several trailers from our racing days. The latest was a 53' all aluminum T&E mini semi. I called Todd Datweiller from T&E to order my 24' trailer and he recommended Intech because "We're not set up to make trailers that small and they are the best." Eddie Kraiwick, who races for Harley with Vance & Hines, also told me Intech was the way to go and said the quality was every bit as good as their $600,000 Champion Race trailer. They were right.

Last edited by Randy G.; 07-23-2017 at 02:39 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:21 AM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

Obviously you don't own a diesel powered JGC? 420 ft lbs of torque at low RPM with an exhaust brake. It's the same powerplant that they put in the Ram 1500 trucks, and the brakes are huge. I was towing it home and went up and over the grades coming back through the Eisenhower Tunnel this side of Denver (11,000 feet, 6% grades) and hardly touched the brakes and it didn't break a sweat going up and down the hills.

You are absolutely correct I have never towed with a Jeep nor would I ever consider it. I tow my race trailer around with a modified LBZ Duramax. Around here I have never seen a Jeep towing anything as big as an enclosed car trailer and I have seen some different tow vehicles at the track over the last 20 years of racing.

Having the the power to tow a trailer is only 20% of the entire tow vehicle equation. Brakes, having sufficient length to be stable, tow vehicle tire load rating, the ability to put the correct tongue weight on the tow vehicle without overloading it all comes in to play. The fact you towed an empty trailer is meaningless as an empty trailer is not why you have it. The trailer is there to load stuff into and then tow down the road.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:58 AM
Rickenbach
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Empty was OK. It's an all aluminum trailer that weighs 4,400 empty. My Jeep has a the turbo ecodiesel with the factory tow hitch and the Jeep as equipped has a 7,400 pound tow rating. Brakes are awesome as is the engine brake with the diesel on the Jeep, but like you, I wouldn't feel comfortable towing it loaded. The problem isn't power and braking, as it did fine going through the Eisenhower Tunnel this side of Denver on the way back from Indiana. The problem is the Jeep's short wheelbase and the way the trailer moves you around in the wind or when passing commercial vehicles, and I have an Equalizer sway control hitch.

I was waiting for the new Duramax with 910 ft lb of torque to come out this year before buying a new truck. I bought this about two months ago just for towing because I agree with your sentiments.

Nice trailer. I bought the same truck. Only thing I don't like is the tank on the side that hangs down. I'm glad you don't tow the car with the Jeep. I see the exotic guys tow an enclosed with their car using X5s and Range Rover Sports. I believe the reason Bruce Jenner killed that lady was he couldn't stop in time with an overloaded trailer

Last edited by Rickenbach; 07-23-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:59 AM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Hi Vern.

VERY NICE. I see you got the "get outta the car" option with the street side door.

I've owned several trailers from our racing days. The latest was a 53' all aluminum T&E mini semi. I called Todd Datweiller from T&E to order my 24' trailer and he recommended Intech because "We're not set up to make trailers that small and they are the best." Eddie Kraiwick, who races for Harley with Vance & Hines, also told me Intech was the way to go and said the quality was every bit as good as their $600,000 Champion Race trailer. They were right.
Yes, their attention to detail is outstanding. Amish workforce. The location of the side door was calculated to match my cars. I went for the rubber flooring so I don't slip and bust my butt.
Verne
Name:  IMG_0399.JPG
Views: 356
Size:  49.1 KB

They even clocked the washers on the hitch and matched the RTV color on the edges!
Name:  Hitch detail.JPG
Views: 451
Size:  3.20 MB
Old 07-23-2017, 02:41 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by W Guy
They even clocked the washers on the hitch and matched the RTV color on the edges!
I am not easily impressed........but that is craftsmanship we no longer see today

Quality is missing in our "cheaper is better" society.

The following users liked this post:
Randy G. (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 10:08 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

You are absolutely correct I have never towed with a Jeep nor would I ever consider it. I tow my race trailer around with a modified LBZ Duramax. Around here I have never seen a Jeep towing anything as big as an enclosed car trailer and I have seen some different tow vehicles at the track over the last 20 years of racing.

Having the the power to tow a trailer is only 20% of the entire tow vehicle equation. Brakes, having sufficient length to be stable, tow vehicle tire load rating, the ability to put the correct tongue weight on the tow vehicle without overloading it all comes in to play. The fact you towed an empty trailer is meaningless as an empty trailer is not why you have it. The trailer is there to load stuff into and then tow down the road.
Just to clarify my decision to move it empty with my Diesel JGC...

I ordered the Intech trailer brand new and needed to get it back to California from Indiana last October 2016 before Winter set in. And I was waiting for the L5P 910 ft lb of torque Duramax to come out as I sold my LML knowing the new one was bigger and better.

BTW, my last race rig was a Columbia Freightliner twin screw with a 505 HP Detroit/NRC Toterhome conversion towing a 53' T&E trailer. 84' long and it required overlength permits and a commercial license which I still have. I would never consider a rig to race out of so small that I would be able to tow it with my Duramax, but that's me. I was over 70,000 pounds going down the road with my rig. I quit and sold it all in 2013. The Intech is a cute little replacement, and I made it home just fine.

This won't fit.

Last edited by Randy G.; 07-24-2017 at 10:13 PM.
ptjsk (07-25-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Car trailer delivery options

Old 07-24-2017, 10:18 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Just to clarify my decision to move it empty with my Diesel JGC...

I ordered the Intech trailer brand new and needed to get it back to California from Indiana last October 2016 before Winter set in. And I was waiting for the L5P 910 ft lb of torque Duramax to come out as I sold my LML knowing the new one was bigger and better.

BTW, my last race rig was a Columbia Freightliner twin screw with a 505 HP Detroit/NRC Toterhome conversion towing a 53' T&E trailer. 84' long and it required overlength permits and a commercial license which I still have. I would never consider a rig to race out of so small that I would be able to tow it with my Duramax, but that's me. I was over 70,000 pounds going down the road with my rig. I quit and sold it all in 2013. The Intech is a cute little replacement, and I made it home just fine.

This won't fit.

VERY nice Randy. You are obviously quite well educated on trailers and towing............................AND funny cars.

Rex

Last edited by Dr L-88; 07-24-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:26 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dr L-88
VERY nice Randy. You are obviously quite well educated on trailers and towing............................AND funny cars.

Rex

Thanks, Rex. I don't need some guy lecturing me on how to tow a trailer.

After 42 years racing this was me last Thursday, towing our '54 on an open trailer to GM Downunder for the new owner. Definitely downsized! The only reason I didn't use my Duramax is because it only has 300 miles on it. I want at least 1,000 miles on it before I stick a hitch on back.

After we won the 2012 NHRA Winternationals at the Fairplex in Pomona in TA/FC, I said "I'm done."

Corvette's are more fun.

Last edited by Randy G.; 07-24-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:36 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Thanks, Rex. I don't need some guy lecturing me on how to tow a trailer.

After 42 years racing this was me last Thursday, towing our '54 on an open trailer to GM Downunder for the new owner. Definitely downsized! The only reason I didn't use my Duramax is because it only has 300 miles on it. I want at least 1,000 miles on it before I stick a hitch on back.

After we won the 2012 NHRA Winternationals at the Fairplex in Pomona in TA/FC, I said "I'm done."

Corvette's are more fun.

Randy G. (07-24-2017)

Quick Reply: Car trailer delivery options